Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

rose coloured glasses-UK return-family

Wikiposts

rose coloured glasses-UK return-family

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rose coloured glasses-UK return-family

Originally Posted by papilon
Nothing new really, just common sense, would be the same if you reversed the roles. Unless you are a very close family and always have been this will happen. Anglo's the world over have lost there close family bonds. Bit different for the southern europeans and other cultures.
Sadky we were close and speak a lot on the phone (but I always make the calls) but having been away 10 years, I realise that we have all changed a lot. Just because people are related by blood does not make them good friends.

However we have seen lots of various friends who are keen to make the most of us being here...and that is great.

Strangely my sister asked how we cope in Aus for babysitters- ummm- pretty much like here.....we take daughter or just don't go out, as we don't have any babysitters.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Sadky we were close and speak a lot on the phone (but I always make the calls) but having been away 10 years, I realise that we have all changed a lot. Just because people are related by blood does not make them good friends.

However we have seen lots of various friends who are keen to make the most of us being here...and that is great.

Strangely my sister asked how we cope in Aus for babysitters- ummm- pretty much like here.....we take daughter or just don't go out, as we don't have any babysitters.

LOL.... my youngest daughter will be the right age when you get back Turned 16 last August.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
LOL.... my youngest daughter will be the right age when you get back Turned 16 last August.
Ace.
Now that's what I call good planning!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I find it sad reading posts about family feuds and uncaring relatives. I have to say it's something I've never encountered in my own family.

My parents have been over here almost once a year since we moved here and whenever we go back to France, my sister comes down from Germany, and a lot of my friends and relatives (uncles/aunts/cousins) come for a visit at my parents', even if only for an overnighter.

We're very lucky that my parents can afford to visit and that they have a large enough house in France to accommodate visitors, but I also know that people would make the effort to come and visit even if they had to stay in a tent in the garden (it's happened before!)

It's not quite the same story with my OH's family though and I feel sorry for him at times. His mother is happy enough to visit but we have to pay for her flights as she can't afford them (which seriously limits how often she an come) and his brother couldn't give a rat's arse as to whether we never saw him again for the next 50 years. As for visiting them, the drive from Heathrow to Cornwall straight off the plane nearly killed us last time, it pissed it down for the whole week we were there in a 1 and a half bed semi-detached with a toddler, a baby, the MIL and her dog And the petrol costs and the bill from Hertz at the end nearly cost us our entire life savings

So now, my parents come over once a year, we go to France every couple of years, the MIL comes to visit in France when we're there and the plan is to have her over for a few months this year Wish me luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I find it sad reading posts about family feuds and uncaring relatives. I have to say it's something I've never encountered in my own family.

My parents have been over here almost once a year since we moved here and whenever we go back to France, my sister comes down from Germany, and a lot of my friends and relatives (uncles/aunts/cousins) come for a visit at my parents', even if only for an overnighter.

We're very lucky that my parents can afford to visit and that they have a large enough house in France to accommodate visitors, but I also know that people would make the effort to come and visit even if they had to stay in a tent in the garden (it's happened before!)

It's not quite the same story with my OH's family though and I feel sorry for him at times. His mother is happy enough to visit but we have to pay for her flights as she can't afford them (which seriously limits how often she an come) and his brother couldn't give a rat's arse as to whether we never saw him again for the next 50 years. As for visiting them, the drive from Heathrow to Cornwall straight off the plane nearly killed us last time, it pissed it down for the whole week we were there in a 1 and a half bed semi-detached with a toddler, a baby, the MIL and her dog And the petrol costs and the bill from Hertz at the end nearly cost us our entire life savings

So now, my parents come over once a year, we go to France every couple of years, the MIL comes to visit in France when we're there and the plan is to have her over for a few months this year Wish me luck!
What part of France Elice, as thats I want to base any future trip to see relations myself.

I'm planning on around Lille for Eurostar
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

What part of France Elice, as thats I want to base any future trip to see relations myself.

Take Lille, draw a pretty straight line down to almost Spain and you will find my hometown

I was born and raised in Carcassonne and my parents still live there. In true French southerner fashion, I would not live anywhere north of the Garonne if you paid me Ryan Air fly direct to Stansted from Carcassonne and many other regional cities in the south. Easyjet do too of course. I would rather live in the south of France and endure Ryan Air or Easyjet than live anywhere north of Paris

To be really honest, I do not know Lille and its region very well, although I know my sister enjoyed living there for a year as a student. AFAIK, Lille is a great vibrant city, but the impression of the North I have is of a quite flat and bleak region with a climate that makes Cornwall look positively tropical
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:03 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lille is the spot mate
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Lille is the spot mate
Hopefully have you been there Bernie ? I'm anticipating it to be slightly cheaper for accom than the UK, with enough different foods to make the wife forget she's back near the relations.

Elice.... are there any decent French restaurants that you would recommend in Melbourne. ? Theres one in Sydney Rd, Brunswick that seems to be the go... name escapes me at present. I want to tempt the wife.

Ahhh this one... have you heard of it ?

http://www.metropolis-eating-house.c...se_menu.html##
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:51 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully have you been there Bernie ? I'm anticipating it to be slightly cheaper for accom than the UK, with enough different foods to make the wife forget she's back near the relations.

Elice.... are there any decent French restaurants that you would recommend in Melbourne. ? Theres one in Sydney Rd, Brunswick that seems to be the go... name escapes me at present. I want to tempt the wife.

I began my life adventure there at the tender age of 17.Lovely little bustling town,very friendly locals and food n wine to die for
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound very French This dessert made me gag ever so slightly: White chocolate aero bar, caramelised banana, mashed avocado The rest of the menu looks good though
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't sound very French This dessert made me gag ever so slightly: White chocolate aero bar, caramelised banana, mashed avocado The rest of the menu looks good though
Funny how Women go for the dessert Menu, and blokes generally always go for the Entree

The youngest daughter last two Birthday cakes have been huge White Chocolate Grenache with Strawberry filling Cafe Cakes.... talk about Sickly. Put me off anything to do with White Chocolate for eternity I reckon.

Workees...... nite nite.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:16 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We got the 'oh but we'll never see you again' - we only lived about five minutes from everyone before and rarely saw the mother - thankfully. No one has ever suggested they come over, oh tell a lie, my sister was coming with a daughter and picking up the other daughter in Bangkok on the way but then decided to go to NY instead My nephew came over and spent three weeks in Surfers - we didn't find out until he'd got back home We broke the bank going back a few years ago for a couple of weeks and had to drive here there and everywhere because no one could get off their arses to drive for five minutes . I get asked every christmas why we haven't flown back to see them.

We then get constant phone calls saying how much they miss us. Yeah right!
Yep, I know exactly where you're coming from! We're only in London and we always kinda thought people would be attracted to coming to London for a weekend, even if we weren't a draw in itself!! But no, my sister has been over a few times but other than that, very little. My brother stayed for a long weekend on his way to Ireland from Sydney last May and that was wonderful, he's the only member of my family I genuinely like though haha!

So I'm not expecting a massive influx of visitors in Oz (despite all the promises of everyone coming!) and I won't be putting up with the guilt trip phonecalls about not going home every year either. It has to work both ways, it's not my 'fault' for leaving...

Tx
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedT
and I won't be putting up with the guilt trip phonecalls about not going home every year either. It has to work both ways, it's not my 'fault' for leaving...

Tx
...that's one thing this 5 month (so far) trip back has helped with. Our future holidays will not be completely taken up with guilt trips to UK. If people can't be bothered to see us when we are here, we will not worry about spending $1000s and hours flying over here, when we can go to Europe/Asia/wherever we feel.

Oh the freedom!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
...that's one thing this 5 month (so far) trip back has helped with. Our future holidays will not be completely taken up with guilt trips to UK. If people can't be bothered to see us when we are here, we will not worry about spending $1000s and hours flying over here, when we can go to Europe/Asia/wherever we feel.

Oh the freedom!
Did you go back JUST for the family or are there other things that have not worked out as well as you expected?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Did you go back JUST for the family or are there other things that have not worked out as well as you expected?
no there were several reasons, but family wanting to spend more time with our small daughter was supposedly the icing on the cake. They were pretty enthusiastic before we arrived and have faded away since.

Still we are catching up with some lovely friends and experiencing as much as we can while we are here. We have even been to a panto this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.