Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Wikiposts

Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:57 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Please do remember that things wouldn't be too much different if you moved house within the country. At this age kids are mates with whoever they go to school with and once they no longer go to the same school, friendships can fade fast.

Can your daughter get a penpal in Oz, another expat teen? She may not yet be ready to plan a life there but if she is, that'll give her a focus. She may also want to remain in school with her friends while she has the chance, and that's fine too.

Speaking from having a 13-year-old and being in awkward situations, though not moving, I would definitely NOT try to sell her on Oz or remind her of the positives.... this will likely just make her sad and angry. Just keep moving toward the goal, checking in with your daughter and helping in any way possible.

If you have the dosh or can save it, having a friend out to visit once you've moved could be incredible.... but that's well in future so best not to mention it now.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
well mate i have agreed to let her stay home tomorrow and then she can go in for the rest of the week - see how that goes and decide from there!!! cost me a bloody fortune at Next today!!!!

You'll have to get her busy sorting through things that need to be packed etc, she'll soon decide schools better
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:13 am
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My kids (twins) just been given their schools and one has done fantastically well and got into a top school, the other sadly did not do well at all. Its breaking my heart to see one so excited and the other so upset.

I doesn't matter what I say I cant please both of them. One wants to start the new school in September but the other one wants to get out of here asap!

We are hoping to get our visa and be there by July and sort out new schools there, but this has put another dilemma our way - with the extreme difference in the kids academically, should they go to different schools according to their ability?

I know we should have seen this coming but I really didn't think they were so far apart!

Cheri x
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:21 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

I'm at my wits end. Eldest daughter is in her last year of primary school and last Thursday letters were sent out to all the children in the bay of that age stating what secondary school they had been accepted into. Grace goes to a Catholic school so obviously all of her class applied to go to the Catholic Secondary school which, incidentally, is a fantastic school. It seems all of Grace's class were accepted, including Grace.

This is where it hits home exactly what we are doing. Picture the scene: Grace goes into class on Friday and her whole class is demented with excitement because they are all going to the same secondary school - I remember it well when I was that age!! Imagine how Grace is feeling - she wont be going because we are dragging her off to Australia. She is so upset the school ring me to collect her and bring her home.

Today Jed drops her off, she enters the yard and they pounce still carrying on the conversation from Friday! She runs after Jed and he brings her home in floods of tears.

What do I do??? Do I make her suffer this until we leave at the end of March or do I tell the school she is leaving early and of course her younger sister, Daisy (who couldn't actually give a sh**!!)

Oh Rooksie, reading your post makes me feel sick, you have probably noticed i have a 14 year old, and this echoes what we have been going through, my girl loves school, her friends, she does wee academically, she has a great social life, loves her gymnastics (qualified for the scottish final last week), what am i doing dragging her away from it all

Sorry this has probably not helped you at all, but i have the same sick feeling as you in my stomach, so know exactly how you feel

I was also reading a thread on called Joondalup crew (we are headed there), it didn't help
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Oh Rooksie, reading your post makes me feel sick, you have probably noticed i have a 14 year old, and this echoes what we have been going through, my girl loves school, her friends, she does wee academically, she has a great social life, loves her gymnastics (qualified for the scottish final last week), what am i doing dragging her away from it all

Sorry this has probably not helped you at all, but i have the same sick feeling as you in my stomach, so know exactly how you feel

I was also reading a thread on called Joondalup crew (we are headed there), it didn't help
its shit isnt it mate but we will get through it girl these next few weeks are going to be hell but im pretty sure as soon as we get on the plane all we be forgotten ....... she says
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2

I wouldn't worry too much about the Joondlup crew, it's one persons experience. I'm sure it's not as bad as it all sounds.

As for your daughter, she may just get out there and absolutly love it. Have you looked into gymnastic clubs for her?. Also if she has loads of friend here then she must be an outgoing type of person, so will easily make friends once out there.

Stop beating yourself up, you are doing this to try to get a better life for you all. In a few years time she may even thank you for giving her the chance of a better life.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:55 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at my wits end. Eldest daughter is in her last year of primary school and last Thursday letters were sent out to all the children in the bay of that age stating what secondary school they had been accepted into. Grace goes to a Catholic school so obviously all of her class applied to go to the Catholic Secondary school which, incidentally, is a fantastic school. It seems all of Grace's class were accepted, including Grace.

This is where it hits home exactly what we are doing. Picture the scene: Grace goes into class on Friday and her whole class is demented with excitement because they are all going to the same secondary school - I remember it well when I was that age!! Imagine how Grace is feeling - she wont be going because we are dragging her off to Australia. She is so upset the school ring me to collect her and bring her home.

Today Jed drops her off, she enters the yard and they pounce still carrying on the conversation from Friday! She runs after Jed and he brings her home in floods of tears.

What do I do??? Do I make her suffer this until we leave at the end of March or do I tell the school she is leaving early and of course her younger sister, Daisy (who couldn't actually give a sh**!!)

Know exactly what you mean.. Son, Sam is only eight but already he's been missing school. We've been getting phone calls to come and collect him through one illness or another. He hasn't been too well but I don't think the stress of Oz is helping either. Our trouble is that we don't leave until 3rd June and I can't keep him off that long..Do feel very guilty at the moment...just hope it passes soon.

Cheers and hope you get through it.

Ginny
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stitch
Know exactly what you mean.. Son, Sam is only eight but already he's been missing school. We've been getting phone calls to come and collect him through one illness or another. He hasn't been too well but I don't think the stress of Oz is helping either. Our trouble is that we don't leave until 3rd June and I can't keep him off that long..Do feel very guilty at the moment...just hope it passes soon.

Cheers and hope you get through it.

Ginny

Ive got them BOTH at home today! Daisy is only 5 and she is totally overwhelmed by the whole thing and if she sees Grace getting upset well that gets her really worried. This is awful

On a brighter note, buyer has her mortgage offer so things are progressing nicely. Sooner this is all done and dusted the bloody better!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:14 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got them BOTH at home today! Daisy is only 5 and she is totally overwhelmed by the whole thing and if she sees Grace getting upset well that gets her really worried. This is awful

On a brighter note, buyer has her mortgage offer so things are progressing nicely. Sooner this is all done and dusted the bloody better!!
Brilliant news on the mortgage offer, when are you hoping to exchange?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:17 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Jac I'm sorry mate - you're right this is really shit. I cant believe how much stress we put ourselves through just to get to Oz! It'd better be bloody worth it I tell you!

Spend as much time as you can with the girls and dont focus on the fact that they're missing school - sod it - just enjoy your last month in the UK. Ask them what they'd like to do and just do it! I did the shopping trip with my little one yesterday and she is worse than me!! She wanted everything she saw even if she didnt know what it was! LOL - We had a nice time together though and it did help to reduce the stress a little. Spent a bloody fortune but who gives a shit! Its therapy!!

My little girl is 6 - if you want to get Daisy and her to have an online chat just PM me. Dan is already getting to grips with MSN! I know they wont see each other in Oz but it still might help!

Take care

Rach xxxx
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The A Team
Brilliant news on the mortgage offer, when are you hoping to exchange?

soon as bloody poss mate - Jed has to give notice to Brit Gas and he is starting to stress over it (last thing i need is for him to get all stressay as well!!! ) if we could exchange this week that would be a beauty but i think that would be expecting too much, sadly!!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Ah Jac I'm sorry mate - you're right this is really shit. I cant believe how much stress we put ourselves through just to get to Oz! It'd better be bloody worth it I tell you!

Spend as much time as you can with the girls and dont focus on the fact that they're missing school - sod it - just enjoy your last month in the UK. Ask them what they'd like to do and just do it! I did the shopping trip with my little one yesterday and she is worse than me!! She wanted everything she saw even if she didnt know what it was! LOL - We had a nice time together though and it did help to reduce the stress a little. Spent a bloody fortune but who gives a shit! Its therapy!!

My little girl is 6 - if you want to get Daisy and her to have an online chat just PM me. Dan is already getting to grips with MSN! I know they wont see each other in Oz but it still might help!

Take care

Rach xxxx
Ahhhh thanks mate
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:53 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Give her loads of things to do re the move....let her be responsible for doing some stuff....what I did with mine was I looked for schools in the area we were going to on the internet and then let them have a look, some have outdoor pools bla bla and they all looked fab on their websites...they even emailed a couple of the headmasters of the school. They also started doing some Aussie stuff at their school, and got their classes involved. I also got them to organise a party for themselves at school for all their mates. The headmaster was wonderful. We had out own company at that point and donated money to the school and set up a writing award to be presented at prize giving every year, so the kids will always be remembered there