Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Rooksie's dilemma of the day

I'm at my wits end. Eldest daughter is in her last year of primary school and last Thursday letters were sent out to all the children in the bay of that age stating what secondary school they had been accepted into. Grace goes to a Catholic school so obviously all of her class applied to go to the Catholic Secondary school which, incidentally, is a fantastic school. It seems all of Grace's class were accepted, including Grace.

This is where it hits home exactly what we are doing. Picture the scene: Grace goes into class on Friday and her whole class is demented with excitement because they are all going to the same secondary school - I remember it well when I was that age!! Imagine how Grace is feeling - she wont be going because we are dragging her off to Australia. She is so upset the school ring me to collect her and bring her home.

Today Jed drops her off, she enters the yard and they pounce still carrying on the conversation from Friday! She runs after Jed and he brings her home in floods of tears.

What do I do??? Do I make her suffer this until we leave at the end of March or do I tell the school she is leaving early and of course her younger sister, Daisy (who couldn't actually give a sh**!!)
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:37 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rooksie's dilemma of the day

Originally Posted by Rooksie
I'm at my wits end. Eldest daughter is in her last year of primary school and last Thursday letters were sent out to all the children in the bay of that age stating what secondary school they had been accepted into. Grace goes to a Catholic school so obviously all of her class applied to go to the Catholic Secondary school which, incidentally, is a fantastic school. It seems all of Grace's class were accepted, including Grace.

This is where it hits home exactly what we are doing. Picture the scene: Grace goes into class on Friday and her whole class is demented with excitement because they are all going to the same secondary school - I remember it well when I was that age!! Imagine how Grace is feeling - she wont be going because we are dragging her off to Australia. She is so upset the school ring me to collect her and bring her home.

Today Jed drops her off, she enters the yard and they pounce still carrying on the conversation from Friday! She runs after Jed and he brings her home in floods of tears.

What do I do??? Do I make her suffer this until we leave at the end of March or do I tell the school she is leaving early and of course her younger sister, Daisy (who couldn't actually give a sh**!!)
I dont have kids Rooksie but my initial reaction is to tell the school your situation.

That way they can at least be sympathetic to her needs and emotions.

You havent done anything wrong. You have applied to move to another country to give your kids something different along with different opportunities.

But I would let the school know so they can make a fuss of her. Wouldn't it be nice if her class could dedicate an hour to her big adventure, photos, maps and all things Aussie so her mates could get involved.

Stop feeling guilty for wanting to try something better for your kids.

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should let them finish early. It's a very stressful time and the kids are probably as stressed as you. Letting them finish early will give them time to get themselves prepared. Also it will make them feel a bit more involved in the process, and may just help them to adjust quicker. The end of March isn't that far away.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Thanks Sam and Wendy. I dont know what to do at the moment. I will talk to Jed later. Grace is very sensitive and its going to be hard for her.

We are off to Next later for retail therapy!!

Thanks again
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:43 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jac,
I am in the same boat as you, but we haven't sold our house yet as we have told Leah that IF we are still here she will go to the school, and IF we are not then obviously we will not, It is a huge change for them but they have a new adventure (just like us adults) and she will be fine......... She is obviously the same age as my daughter, pm me and I will get them in touch with eachother, they tend to feel a little more secure when they have someone of their same age doing the same thing.
Leah has been brilliant at keeping others positive, we have had a meet yesterday and she has made lots of friends who are all in the same boat, plus she e-mails a couple from this site, and MSN .....1 I can think of felt as your daughter does, she was very emotional, Her and Leah have been e-mailing eachother, and by all accounts she has become a lot happier with the impending move.
Try to be positive and make the most of the time she has with her friends now so that the excitement she can share with her friends.
Jane xxx
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Hi Jac,
I am in the same boat as you, but we haven't sold our house yet as we have told Leah that IF we are still here she will go to the school, and IF we are not then obviously we will not, It is a huge change for them but they have a new adventure (just like us adults) and she will be fine......... She is obviously the same age as my daughter, pm me and I will get them in touch with eachother, they tend to feel a little more secure when they have someone of their same age doing the same thing.
Leah has been brilliant at keeping others positive, we have had a meet yesterday and she has made lots of friends who are all in the same boat, plus she e-mails a couple from this site, and MSN .....1 I can think of felt as your daughter does, she was very emotional, Her and Leah have been e-mailing eachother, and by all accounts she has become a lot happier with the impending move.
Try to be positive and make the most of the time she has with her friends now so that the excitement she can share with her friends.
Jane xxx
Sending you a PM mate!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of

Wow difficult situation.
How was she over the weekend, when not having to listen to her friends excitment?
if she was ok then i would consider letting her finish school early and get her involved with your move, maybe that way she won't feel as bad.

Best wishes
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:47 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Poor little love....Give her lots of hugs and talk about her new school and her new friends she will be making in a few months time. It is so hard for us all during this process but for Grace she is so young and hormonal and doesnt really understand that the kind of life she will have out there.

What about some retail therapy today with her Mummy, there is some great summer collections out in the shops already
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheechee
Wow difficult situation.
How was she over the weekend, when not having to listen to her friends excitment?
if she was ok then i would consider letting her finish school early and get her involved with your move, maybe that way she won't feel as bad.

Best wishes

she was fine over the weekend but she did mention a few times that she didnt want to go to school on monday!!! i told her it would have all died down over the weekend - how wrong was i!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Issie
Poor little love....Give her lots of hugs and talk about her new school and her new friends she will be making in a few months time. It is so hard for us all during this process but for Grace she is so young and hormonal and doesnt really understand that the kind of life she will have out there.

What about some retail therapy today with her Mummy, there is some great summer collections out in the shops already

thanks mate we are hitting the shops at noon!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:50 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mate we are hitting the shops at noon!!!!
Excellent ....works wonders for my daughter in times of stress , she's only 8 and is already obssessed with shoes ( god help me) at least its mainly flip flops in OZ
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:51 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave it up to her mate, see how she feels about it as I can't see how missing a couple of weeks could harm her.

Bless her I hope she'll be ok, I'm sure she will
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

cheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud ofcheechee has much to be proud of

she was fine over the weekend but she did mention a few times that she didnt want to go to school on monday!!! i told her it would have all died down over the weekend - how wrong was i!!!!
Just remember how fickle kids are at that age..... very soon something else will come along for her classmates and that will be all they can talk about.
As someone else mentioned maybe the school could help by letting yr daughters class do a small project based around Aus.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheechee
Just remember how fickle kids are at that age..... very soon something else will come along for her classmates and that will be all they can talk about.
As someone else mentioned maybe the school could help by letting yr daughters class do a small project based around Aus.

its a great idea but i wonder if they would because they have their SATS to sit in May and they are all working towards that at the moment. it is a lovely idea though.

time for a family conference this evening me thinks!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
I'd leave it up to her mate, see how she feels about it as I can't see how missing a couple of weeks could harm her.

Bless her I hope she'll be ok, I'm sure she will
thanks mate (got to spread )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.