Wikiposts

Roof insulation

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Roof insulation

Well, it's not often that you get something for nothing well next to nothing $300 with the government paying the rest direct to the installer.
Coming from the UK we know the benefits of good insulation...... unlike Aussie builders so when the guys down the road from us started doing insulation I gave them a quick call on Monday night and he popped over for a coffee and a quick measure up.
The installers arrived this morning and finished this afternoon.....what a difference it's made....... I've had to turn the heating OFF on instruction from she who must be obeyed (that has got to be a first )

It's not means tested in any way, so get it done before the money runs out
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:12 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roof insulation

Check they left cooling areas around the overhead lights: apparently there have been quite a few loft fires since the rebates induced all sorts of "tradesmen" to install this newfangled roof insulation.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
newfangled roof insulation.
My first house down in Sydney in 1990 had it It was an optional extra, but it was available if people wanted it.

The question is... why didn't some people want it ?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

It seems that not all UK houses have it either, as the UK government are also giving 50% to 100% grants for it...
http://www.government-grants.co.uk/l...n-grants.shtml

I think I claimed the UK one myself some years ago...

Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My first house down in Sydney in 1990 had it It was an optional extra, but it was available if people wanted it.

The question is... why didn't some people want it ?
Same in Canberra some years back. Identical new neighbouring houses except for insulation. It all came down to cost and the cheaper non-insulated always sold first. If the house prices where the same and one house had a 'feature' ie wall oven instead of upright guess which property sold first.

The benefit must be seen to justify the price.

WW
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is considering ceiling batts, apparently there is at least a three month wait for supply from CSR (and I would assume the other suppliers) due to popular demand.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is a registered installer...he has seen a fair few dodgy installers and underhand tricks.
His course tutor was calling around to make sure "his" students were obeying the rules as people are being struck off the registar.

Unless you have a biggish house/are remote /access to loft is hard, generally the rebate should cover the cost. Govt has guidelines on how much can be charged....one person H met, told him that the quote they were given included $200 "admin"!!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned I was a UK registered energy efficiency consultant and WAS planning on doing it myself but the grant is only payable via a registered insulation company.
If your installer is telling you he has to wait more than 6 weeks for a supply from CSR, then he is "new" to the game..... CSR are looking after the installation companies that have historically supported them pre government grant
The grant will cover you for up to $1600 worth
I have already checked around the light fittings.... all good separation distance wise.
The only thing I could find fault with, was obviously an oversight, 1 plastic wrapper from the insulation was left in the loft....... doesn't sound much BUT if a draught had blown that on to the downlight
The owner of the company called around this evening about 7PM to see if we were happy and asked if he could check what they had done......to the extent of going walkabout in my roofspace, I mentioned the wrapper and he is going to have words with the lads in the morning and could not apologise enough

Last edited by Rossi; Sep 30th 2009 at 12:57 am.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rossi
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned I was a UK registered energy efficiency consultant and WAS planning on doing it myself but the grant is only payable via a registered insulation company.
If your installer is telling you he has to wait more than 6 weeks for a supply from CSR, then he is "new" to the game..... CSR are looking after the installation companies that have historically supported them pre government grant
Not always the case. Mine was actually done by CSR Bradford... who make the stuff... and even they ran out and had to delay installation.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Sep 30th 2009 at 1:14 am.