British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Rolf Harris (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rolf-harris-837682/)

scrubbedexpat098 Jun 30th 2014 10:03 pm

Rolf Harris

Hope he dies slowly and painfully, then rots in Hell. Grew up idolizing the man, feel almost as if he violated me personally

carolinephillips Jul 1st 2014 12:24 am

Re: Rolf Harris

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11320544)
Hope he dies slowly and painfully, then rots in Hell. Grew up idolizing the man, feel almost as if he violated me personally

He was only after little girls.

scrubbedexpat098 Jul 1st 2014 1:09 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11320682)
He was only after little girls.

I know that but it's beside the point, him, Stuart Hall, Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville, all people I idolised as a kid, how very depressing. :(

renth Jul 1st 2014 1:28 am

I was having a clear-out of my walk in wardrobe this weekend as we are decorating and found a 1970's boxed Rolf Harris Stylophone.

Do you think it might be worth more or less after this verdict? I might put it on eBay.

Blade Down Under Jul 1st 2014 1:34 am

I'm not sure if I can trust British Paints anymore

scrubbedexpat098 Jul 1st 2014 2:13 am

I've lost my sense of humour on this subject, sick **** should burn

carolinephillips Jul 1st 2014 5:06 am

It seems to have been rife amongst the powerful public idols of the 60's/70's.

In 20 year's time how many cases from the 80's/90's and later will be being dug up?

I think that the powerful have always found a way to hush up their nasty/sordid goings on, but it has become a lot harder in these days of FB/Twitter and media followings. Witness the disgusting photo of that rugby league star.

knockoff nige Jul 1st 2014 5:24 am

I will no longer be tieing Kangaroos down. It didn't seem fair anyway.

jad n rich Jul 1st 2014 5:46 am

I always found saville and harris repulsive, there was just something sleazy about both of them.

Child sex abusers are often admired by so many, they are very good at covering up, creating the right image:sneaky:.

We had an uncle and a maths teacher in primary who should have been locked up, funny thing was not one adult would have a bad word said about them! The maths teacher did eventually disappear from school one day... all very hush hush. But the uncle kept on being wonderful uncle john, some of my cousins would have a different version of what he got up to while visiting. And he knew what kids to pick on! never the ones who were likely to speak up.

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11320961)
I always found saville and harris repulsive, there was just something sleazy about both of them.

Child sex abusers are often admired by so many, they are very good at covering up, creating the right image:sneaky:.

We had an uncle and a maths teacher in primary who should have been locked up, funny thing was not one adult would have a bad word said about them! The maths teacher did eventually disappear from school one day... all very hush hush. But the uncle kept on being wonderful uncle john, some of my cousins would have a different version of what he got up to while visiting. And he knew what kids to pick on! never the ones who were likely to speak up.

And as another national treasure comic said:
'Noone touched me....efffing favouritism'...

It does seem like that generation got away with it for so long..
It was not only Rolf who Did 2 Little Boys. ..Jimmy Saville was also involved...

Both men had people who knew about them. Surely there seemed an institutional climate of protection?

scrubbedexpat098 Jul 1st 2014 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11320961)

I totally with you from the 2nd paragraph, but ESPECIALLY the bit in bold, that seems to be something the 'why didn't they say something at the time?' brigade seem to misunderstand. Anyhow who was ever going to listen to a child accuse a person of prominence of such a thing 40 years ago?

The whole thing sickens me, Rolf Harris especially, played a role in my childhood fascination with Australia, he came to my home town once when I was 6 to switch our Christmas lights on and I was in the front row. I was hoping and praying that he was innocent to be honest, and I hope there's something horrific waiting for him now

andyrich666 Jul 1st 2014 12:59 pm

When I was a kid I was very ill in hospital and Rolf Harris came to visit me.

I was touched.

DeadVim Jul 1st 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11320703)
I know that but it's beside the point, him, Stuart Hall, Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville, all people I idolised as a kid, how very depressing. :(

The guy from Bronski Beat?! :(

Molly Coddle Jul 1st 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 11320716)
I was having a clear-out of my walk in wardrobe this weekend as we are decorating and found a 1970's boxed Rolf Harris Stylophone.

Do you think it might be worth more or less after this verdict? I might put it on eBay.

Hmmm, I'd say worth less.

There was some of his art on ebay not long ago, it never sold.

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11320792)
I've lost my sense of humour on this subject, sick **** should burn

Agreed.

spuddyo Jul 1st 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11320943)
It seems to have been rife amongst the powerful public idols of the 60's/70's.

In 20 year's time how many cases from the 80's/90's and later will be being dug up?

I think that the powerful have always found a way to hush up their nasty/sordid goings on, but it has become a lot harder in these days of FB/Twitter and media followings. Witness the disgusting photo of that rugby league star.

Rolf is the tip of the iceberg. All those Rock and Roll stars that had swarms of screaming Groupies waiting for them outside the dressing room, how many of them actually asked "are you 16 yet ?". Once Rolf's bank account is opened up to claims, I think we might see a lot more of these cases. Some of those 60's and 70's stars might be about to face their worst nightmares. Back then, it didn't seem to be an issue they thought about. It was just life.