British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   road trip adlaide to brisbane ... recommendations? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/road-trip-adlaide-brisbane-recommendations-421482/)

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 11:04 am

road trip adlaide to brisbane ... recommendations?

howdy folks :D
well, as our migration plans seem to be on hold for a while we decided that we have earned ourselves a long holiday to aus. we fly out to adelaide for a week on 23rd may, then about 10-14 days road trip up the coast to brisbane, spending a week in bris before heading back to uk on 19th june.
can anyone recommend any cheap motels/acommodation en route, and in adelaide and brisbane? we are 2 adults and 3 kids ...
also, anyone able to recomend mpv hire from adelaide to brisbane?
cheers folks ... see you there in 4 months ... get teh beer cooling :thumbup: !!!!!
sue xx

Wendy Jan 25th 2007 11:26 am

Re: road trip adlaide to brisbane ... recommendations?

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4324089)
well, as our migration plans seem to be on hold for a while we decided that we have earned ourselves a long holiday to aus. we fly out to adelaide for a week on 23rd may, then about 10-14 days road trip up the coast to brisbane, spending a week in bris before heading back to uk on 19th june.
can anyone recommend any cheap motels/acommodation en route, and in adelaide and brisbane? we are 2 adults and 3 kids ...
cheers folks ... see you there in 4 months ... get teh beer cooling :thumbup: !!!!!
sue xx

Can't answer you question, but I'd love to meet you while you're here for a beer. How long are you in Adelaide for and where are you staying? :)

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4324157)
Can't answer you question, but I'd love to meet you while you're here for a beer. How long are you in Adelaide for and where are you staying? :)

hi wendy, be nice to meet up again!
we havent got owt booked yet ... family live around elizabeth so probably up that neck of the woods:D :thumbup:

Wendy Jan 25th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4324174)
hi wendy, be nice to meet up again!
we havent got owt booked yet ... family live around elizabeth so probably up that neck of the woods:D :thumbup:

That's not far from me. Will have to let me know what your plans are and we'll sort something out

Grayling Jan 25th 2007 12:50 pm

'Ey up Sue:)

One recommendation is to watch your speed on supposedly quiet empty country roads.
My son got an 'on the spot' ban and a hefty fine in the Victorian outback, when we were doing that drive.:mad:

G

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 4324478)
'Ey up Sue:)

One recommendation is to watch your speed on supposedly quiet empty country roads.
My son got an 'on the spot' ban and a hefty fine in the Victorian outback, when we were doing that drive.:mad:

G

eyup g,
thanks for that ... will warm him indoors as he seems to think speed limits are a challenge rather than a limit :unsure:

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4324176)
That's not far from me. Will have to let me know what your plans are and we'll sort something out

will do ;)

sasbear Jan 25th 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4325817)
will do ;)

And see you back in Sheff 1st - then stop off on your way and visit Canberra :D

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by sasbear (Post 4325844)
And see you back in Sheff 1st - then stop off on your way and visit Canberra :D

yep - that will be good!!!!

jad n rich Jan 25th 2007 7:52 pm

Have you thought about a campervan, cause thats a buggering long boring drive in a car for kids. At least in the campervan you wont be packing luggage in and out every day, plus you can buy groceries and cook, even with aus grocery prices that will be cheaper than 5 people eating out 3 times a day. Britz campervans are a clean reasonable option. Beware some of the cheapies (motels and campervans) theres been a massive bedbug :ohmy: outbreak in OZ.

tiredwithtwins Jan 25th 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 4325924)
Have you thought about a campervan, cause thats a buggering long boring drive in a car for kids. At least in the campervan you wont be packing luggage in and out every day, plus you can buy groceries and cook, even with aus grocery prices that will be cheaper than 5 people eating out 3 times a day. Britz campervans are a clean reasonable option.

hi thanks for that - we are thinking about renting a campervan :thumbup:

Beware some of the cheapies (motels and campervans) theres been a massive bedbug :ohmy: outbreak in OZ.
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

phoenixinoz Jan 25th 2007 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4326068)
hi thanks for that - we are thinking about renting a campervan

Bedbugs are the least of your worries.

It's the snakes, crocs and big bloody spiders you need to be worried about Sue:blink: :rofl:

If you need specific info re Brisbane in terms of motels / hotels etc then send me a PM with what you're after and I can do some homework for you:thumbup:

Have a good one m8. You deserve a good holiday:)

tiredwithtwins Jan 27th 2007 10:33 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz (Post 4326116)
Bedbugs are the least of your worries.

It's the snakes, crocs and big bloody spiders you need to be worried about Sue:blink: :rofl:

:ohmy: :ohmy:

If you need specific info re Brisbane in terms of motels / hotels etc then send me a PM with what you're after and I can do some homework for you:thumbup:

Have a good one m8. You deserve a good holiday
thanks honey ... having a good look at all the info this weekend :thumbup:

wengerboy Jan 28th 2007 1:36 am

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 4324089)
sue xx

Hi Sue:)
Whereabouts in Adelaide are you thinking of staying?
City or outskirts?
Wenger manor is nearing completion but it`s off the beaten track and very upmarket :p , I also hear the manager`s a bit of a knob;)
The car hire company we used were these guys http://www.nofrillscarent.com.au/ and we decided to go for a wagon rather than an mpv cos it`s a lot cheaper:thumbup:

Let us know roughly where you`re thinking of staying and i`ll do a bit of digging for ya m8!
weng xx

quercus Jan 28th 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by wengerboy (Post 4333419)
Hi Sue:)
Whereabouts in Adelaide are you thinking of staying?
City or outskirts?
Wenger manor is nearing completion but it`s off the beaten track and very upmarket :p , I also hear the manager`s a bit of a knob;)
The car hire company we used were these guys http://www.nofrillscarent.com.au/ and we decided to go for a wagon rather than an mpv cos it`s a lot cheaper:thumbup:

Let us know roughly where you`re thinking of staying and i`ll do a bit of digging for ya m8!
weng xx

Ive stayed in a good Formula 1 on the mid north NSW coast, near Port Maqcuarie I think. Clean, cheap, and with a pool. Also a friendly YHA in Coffs Harbour. It was a few years back but might give you somewhere to look.