Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The rising cost of living in the Uk

Wikiposts

The rising cost of living in the Uk

Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The rising cost of living in the Uk

Originally Posted by bcworld
Did you see last night, on one of the top quality investigative journalism shows on at 1830 , can't remember which, that Coles 'fresh' apples have actually been in cold storage for 11 months!! Other supermarkets weren't much better.
No I didn't see that, but it doesn't surprise me. I hate Coles fruit and veg anyway. Did you know that Woolies (and no doubt Coles) 'fresh' chicken breasts are actually frozen and then defrosted before they go out as 'fresh'?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see last night, on one of the top quality investigative journalism shows on at 1830 , can't remember which, that Coles 'fresh' apples have actually been in cold storage for 11 months!! Other supermarkets weren't much better.
It was a current affair I wasn't surprised. I used to work for a company who were responsible for the transport and storage of food in the UK and it isn't any better there.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:00 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I don't see Wetherspoons as bland at all, far from it in fact. To us, they were a good place to meet friends and have a few beers, bottle of wine and some good conversation, rather like a wine bar instead of a smelly old pub.
Thing is (and believe me I'm not saying things are much better here in Oz) - I hate the whole idea of chain pubs. One of the few things I genuinely loved about the UK was the individual boozers, catering to all tastes - chain pubs, no matter how they're done, are always going to soul-less affairs. Same beers, same wines, same decor, same menu - not where I'd choose to go for a drink and I'm no beardy real-ale drinker.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

The Wetherspoons that I used to drink in (in Devon, so maybe different to more commercial city centres?) were in lovely old buildings, restored very nicely, with local ales etc on tap, at VERY reasonable prices and always had a real mix of people in them. I also saw something in the news in the last few months about how they are not encouraging parents to go on drinking sessions there, which I thought was excellent. Not that parents can't go and have a drink, but that if they have taken their kids then the kids should be kept under control and the parents should not stay drinking all afternoon/evening. (Sure many will disagree with me, but that's what I think anyway!)
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They were set up by Tim Martin

An Australian who chooses to live in the UK

G
He's from Northern Ireland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Mar...businessman%29
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:49 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thing is (and believe me I'm not saying things are much better here in Oz) - I hate the whole idea of chain pubs. One of the few things I genuinely loved about the UK was the individual boozers, catering to all tastes - chain pubs, no matter how they're done, are always going to soul-less affairs. Same beers, same wines, same decor, same menu - not where I'd choose to go for a drink and I'm no beardy real-ale drinker.
I completely agree with this gentleman.

Having said that, Esperanza, I know where you are coming from. Back in 1995 when I was at Exeter uni, Wetherspoons purchased an old mansion with extensive gardens, only a 100metres or so from our house near st. david's station. It was completely renovated and became an excellent boozer. There was an orangerie (that's a big old greenhouse for tropical plants) that was given a facelift, and it became the focal point, with marble stairs leading down to a large open area. The gardens had numerous picnic tables. All in all, these were happy days.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I completely agree with this gentleman.

Having said that, Esperanza, I know where you are coming from. Back in 1995 when I was at Exeter uni, Wetherspoons purchased an old mansion with extensive gardens, only a 100metres or so from our house near st. david's station. It was completely renovated and became an excellent boozer. There was an orangerie (that's a big old greenhouse for tropical plants) that was given a facelift, and it became the focal point, with marble stairs leading down to a large open area. The gardens had numerous picnic tables. All in all, these were happy days.
Yes, that is the 'Impy' (Imperial) where I spent many a happy afternoon! My uni halls were just along that road. It was a lovely building and apparently one of the largest beer gardens in the country, they had a beer festival every year. It's exactly the one I was thinking of!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Never let the truth get in the way of a good argument.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:15 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. I was never much of a pub goer, only went in them to have a lunch or meet friends then go on to somewhere else. I did like the atmosphere in the few JD's we've eaten and drank in though.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Each to their own. I was never much of a pub goer, only went in them to have a lunch or meet friends then go on to somewhere else. I did like the atmosphere in the few JD's we've eaten and drank in though.
I loved pubs and clubs. Lived in Bath for a decade and was spoilt for choice. But over the years I was there, plenty of excellent individual boozers were bought up and transformed into super-pubs and branded experiences. Made me sad.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
'In limboland'

I loved pubs and clubs. Lived in Bath for a decade and was spoilt for choice. But over the years I was there, plenty of excellent individual boozers were bought up and transformed into super-pubs and branded experiences. Made me sad.
It is kind of sad in a way, but that's progress, make that business for you. No point in running at a loss. St.Albans has some really quaint pubs, some I even had to dip my head to get through the doorways they are that small and I'm only 5'3". I would hate to see any of those change, but I doubt pubs like that ever will.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that Woolies (and no doubt Coles) 'fresh' chicken breasts are actually frozen and then defrosted before they go out as 'fresh'?
That is ridiculous! I though it was a health and safety issue if you refroze meat? 9 times out 10 I end up freezing some of my chicken breasts every week. I thought they had to let the consumer know if something had been previously frozen? :curse:

Recently I noticed their 'fresh' whole chickens were frozen on the bottom. I called the manager about it afterwards concerned it was a H&S issue and he said he'd get it sorted. Next time I went in, same thing.

Don't get me started on the amount of food out of date, particularly perishables. They don't seem to give too much of a shit about this stuff over here. I guess the rule is, only buy the absolute minimum at coles and woolies and get everything else at butchers/fruit shop.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:33 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I guess the rule is, only buy the absolute minimum at coles and woolies and get everything else at butchers/fruit shop.
Ya, but in the Current Affair segment, even the apples they bought from a fruit market were 8-9 months old! Looks like you might have to grow em yourself!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, but in the Current Affair segment, even the apples they bought from a fruit market were 8-9 months old! Looks like you might have to grow em yourself!
Go to a market that only stocks local produce. There is a market in Midland that we go to that lists the part of WA that the product comes from. 90% of their stuff comes from WA.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:23 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i have just had the visitor from hell staying with me from the UK
she came out with the attitude that she was going to hate Australia and she did!!!
it then makes me defensive about the place
i know a few people who have been here/and also not been here who don't know Australia and just take delight in "bagging it"

all i can say is

DON'T COME HERE THEN!!!!!!!
(i am saying this about my departed visitor)
i hope i never have to see her or speak to her ever again!!!
to make things worse we have more to come in April!!!
my husbands family and he hates them before they arrive

HELP!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.