Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The rising cost of living in the Uk

Wikiposts

The rising cost of living in the Uk

Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all
Default Re: The rising cost of living in the Uk

Cool, meanwhile WA people can look forward to a near-immediate 40% hike in utility bill costs from 2009 when the government-imposed caps that keep said bills artificially low cease to be in place...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Here here!! I keep seeing posts about the high costs of Aussie foods - bread and bananas etc and I was thinking that it ain't so great here either!

I have stopped buying bread. Not thrilled about the price of free range eggs either. And now all the celebrity chefs want us to buy free range chicken too! At £7 for a chicken versus £3-4 I don't think I will be switching just yet.

It costs about £22 to fill up the tiny little suzuki alto we have here - ouch! Its practically a sewing machine...

I look forward to the cost of rent in Brisbane - the same money will get us a mansion practically (we live near London). And our wages are going to stay the same practically (oh has his job and mine is pretty set). Yippee -bring on the expensive bananas and I will eat then whilst lying on my poolside in the warm!!

my dad has a suzuki alto, remember when it was £14 to fill it up!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by sammyg
I'm in the real world thanks don't need the sarcastic comments

Just thought i'd show a few things as some people that have been in aus for a good few years tend to look back at the prices things were back then in britain - for example moaning about a loaf of bread being $3 - they prob think it still costs 50p over here...

Just adding a bit of perspective as i have recently read many posts moaning about cost of living in aus...
Hi
We have been in Perth for 5 months, and I thought Id just share afew points with you. We did visit aug 06' and thought food etc was about the same price as uk, but now living here it has rocketed!!!
I agree, petrol is alot cheaper in oz, varies from day to day but is about $1.35(i think per litre) however you have to drive great distances to get anywhere, so it evens out (i think). Also when you buy a car you pay transfer fees and stamp duty!!!!!!
As the chaps said beer is very expensive, about $8-$9 a pint or bottle in pubs!!!
The thing I noticed more (than bread and milk etc..) was (is, I forgot I am still here) was shampoo $8, deodrant $6-$8, tampax $5.99 etc.. etc... your basic needs !!! I know it depends where you shop, and if its on offer etc.. but it is not as easy as going to the co-op or tescos, you have a choice to buy the tesco value or tesco finest, here you dont you have to buy what they have got!!
I actually brought some face masks and cleanser the other day, wow!!!, same face masks in tescos 89p here $3.49 ($3.50 cause they round everything up. I am not a big beauty freak just wanted a few basics!!!!
Anyway, hope this helps.
Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I buy bread for $1.20 from the bakery. I wouldn't pay $3 for it but then I wouldn't pay more than 75p for it in the UK either
tightarse that will be happy shopper/smartprice for you then
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I buy bread for $1.20 from the bakery. I wouldn't pay $3 for it but then I wouldn't pay more than 75p for it in the UK either
You'd be lucky to find a loaf at that price these days!
The rise in price for wheat has affected everyone, worldwide!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have recently received a revised monthly payment for our electricty and gas with powerphlegm and it has gone from £65 per month to £129 per month.

not only that, Severn Trent have increased our monthly water bill from £30 to £63!!!!!

and, in general the price of groceries for example:

a loaf of seeded batch bread £1.55

4 pint of milk £1.45

half a dozen free range eggs £1.50

and to top it all off petrol is now £1.02 a litre!

(lucky we've got a diesel at a bargain 1.07 per litre)

oh, and i forgot to add the council tax of £150.00 per month

just wanted to let peeps know that things aren't geeting any cheaper in the UK!!
Strangely enough I am finding myself sort of agreeing with you. Friends have just returned from a month in the UK and she was suprised how much things had gone up in her time away. Overall she said it was still slightly cheaper in the UK but not much. Gone are the days that things are way cheaper in Australia and I think it isn't a bad thing to highlight that sometimes.

I will take your 3 items and let you know how much I paid on Friday for the similar items.

a loaf of seeded batch bread £1.55 $4 for Helgas multigrain

4 pint of milk £1.45 not sure on pints but my 3 litre jug of woolies own semi skimmed costs $4.30

half a dozen free range eggs £1.50 a dozen woolies select free range $6

As you will see from those items alone there isn't much in it. Overall I spend about the same as I would in the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
We need to get some Perth folks on here, to tell us how much they pay for a pint of guiness.... $$$$$
You'd probably pay $8.50-9.00 for Guinness in Perth. I don't drink it here though as Australian Guinness is disgusting. One of the highlights of my recent trip to London was a night out on the Guinness. Superb.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:57 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
The thing I noticed more (than bread and milk etc..) was (is, I forgot I am still here) was shampoo $8, deodrant $6-$8, tampax $5.99 etc.. etc...

I roll my own Tampons. It's much cheaper.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
We have been in Perth for 5 months, and I thought Id just share afew points with you. We did visit aug 06' and thought food etc was about the same price as uk, but now living here it has rocketed!!!
I agree, petrol is alot cheaper in oz, varies from day to day but is about $1.35(i think per litre) however you have to drive great distances to get anywhere, so it evens out (i think). Also when you buy a car you pay transfer fees and stamp duty!!!!!!
As the chaps said beer is very expensive, about $8-$9 a pint or bottle in pubs!!!
The thing I noticed more (than bread and milk etc..) was (is, I forgot I am still here) was shampoo $8, deodrant $6-$8, tampax $5.99 etc.. etc... your basic needs !!! I know it depends where you shop, and if its on offer etc.. but it is not as easy as going to the co-op or tescos, you have a choice to buy the tesco value or tesco finest, here you dont you have to buy what they have got!!
I actually brought some face masks and cleanser the other day, wow!!!, same face masks in tescos 89p here $3.49 ($3.50 cause they round everything up. I am not a big beauty freak just wanted a few basics!!!!
Anyway, hope this helps.
Good luck.
Notice it is always Tesco that gets compared, they drive prices down by screwing the suppliers.. i really hope we don't get tesco here but may be inevitable i guess
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Notice it is always Tesco that gets compared, they drive prices down by screwing the suppliers.. i really hope we don't get tesco here but may be inevitable i guess
Have a look around and you'll find Aussie farmers making exactly the same complaints about Coles and Woolies.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:10 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You'd probably pay $8.50-9.00 for Guinness in Perth. I don't drink it here though as Australian Guinness is disgusting. One of the highlights of my recent trip to London was a night out on the Guinness. Superb.
I'd give my right arm for a night in london on the guiness and bitter (london pride, etc) !!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We have recently received a revised monthly payment for our electricty and gas with powerphlegm and it has gone from £65 per month to £129 per month.

not only that, Severn Trent have increased our monthly water bill from £30 to £63!!!!!

and, in general the price of groceries for example:

a loaf of seeded batch bread £1.55

4 pint of milk £1.45

half a dozen free range eggs £1.50

and to top it all off petrol is now £1.02 a litre!

(lucky we've got a diesel at a bargain 1.07 per litre)

oh, and i forgot to add the council tax of £150.00 per month

just wanted to let peeps know that things aren't geeting any cheaper in the UK!!
Was on the news other day that Perth is the most expensive city to live. Tell me about it!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Anyway, hope this helps.
Good luck.
My old man would be grateful of the $3.50 price tag instead of the $40 it costs me at David Jones
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:15 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Strangely enough I am finding myself sort of agreeing with you. Friends have just returned from a month in the UK and she was suprised how much things had gone up in her time away. Overall she said it was still slightly cheaper in the UK but not much. Gone are the days that things are way cheaper in Australia and I think it isn't a bad thing to highlight that sometimes.

I will take your 3 items and let you know how much I paid on Friday for the similar items.

a loaf of seeded batch bread £1.55 $4 for Helgas multigrain

4 pint of milk £1.45 not sure on pints but my 3 litre jug of woolies own semi skimmed costs $4.30

half a dozen free range eggs £1.50 a dozen woolies select free range $6

As you will see from those items alone there isn't much in it. Overall I spend about the same as I would in the UK.
Bread, Helgas multigrain sounds like a bit of a fancy loaf...for the decent stuff over here in brisbane, its probaby about the same. a bog standard loaf will cost $2-50 here. IGA often have promos where fresh bread costs 20c or 50c...

We get 2 pints of milk for $2-79 I think from Woolies...so milk is a tiny bit cheaper over this way.

Eggs - we get these from the markets or chinatown. At the weekend we bought 2 dozen large eggs for $4. Normally though, you're looking at $3 for a dozen from chinatown.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I'd give my right arm for a night in london on the guiness and bitter (london pride, etc) !!!
Twas a great night out - pub was open to 2am as well which was a novelty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.