Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.

Wikiposts

Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.

Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.

Just an update on the post highlighted here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...66#post9183766

The restumping is complete... cost me over 10K That in included a new Kitchen floor and 2 x 4 metre skips.

Was a horrible surprise when they ripped our old kitchen apart, especially the floor as I wasn't expecting that kind of disruption. They raised the house by 6 centimeters, which means the old Lean to, which must have been put up in the 60's is totally stuffed as well, as it' now completely out of whack. It was built when the house was uneven. Now we have no choice but build an extension.

Got a temporary Kitchen going back in tomorrow, salvaged out of the bits we pulled apart, it wont be pretty. Got the Guttering and Roofing on the old part of the house to do. Can't do the plastering for another few months, or it will crack. Have a professional flooring guy coming Friday week to replace a lot of floor, with old Baltic Pine. That can't be sanded an polished until I arrange another week of off work, as it takes 4 bloody days for the 3 coats of Varnish to dry House has to be emptied again at that stage... It's pretty full on trying to live a normal life through this.

Heres some Photos....
Attached Thumbnails Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0711.jpg   Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0719.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:32 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.

You poor things

Turns your whole life upside down when the kitchen or bathroom is out of bounds. Went through it all with our last house and now this one. So sick of it now. Ours is almost finished - just the skylight from the original shitty really badly done extension needs fixed.

Our next place (I hope) is going to be brand spanking new.

Good luck pal - all those take away/mircowave dinners are horrid.

Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

More photos, Skip is just one Chimney full of Bricks and Rubble... All the cooking and other Kitchen duties were performed in the Laundry....Previous photo in last post is Bob the Builder and Son, demolishing the old Chimney. Laundry area and how much the house has risen in another.... "mind the gap"..... House from front and another large gap, which pulled the posts from the Verandah, which means the Verandah has to be pulled down and rebuilt. Finally the old lean to which will have to be pulled down and replaced.

Attached Thumbnails Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0728.jpg   Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0721.jpg   Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0731.jpg   Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0729.jpg   Restumping/Extension/Restoration update.-sam_0734.jpg  

Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with all that OE, it's looks like a total mare.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You poor things

Turns your whole life upside down when the kitchen or bathroom is out of bounds. Went through it all with our last house and now this one. So sick of it now. Ours is almost finished - just the skylight from the original shitty really badly done extension needs fixed.

Our next place (I hope) is going to be brand spanking new.

Good luck pal - all those take away/mircowave dinners are horrid.

Last two houses I had in the UK were brand new after I went through the same sort of disruption Ozzie is facing now on the one prior to them. I swore blind that I would never have another old house... and then went and bought a 30yr old one here.
Been in four years.... new kitchen, aircon, new wardrobes, couple of toilets replaced, flooring.... why the bloody Hell didn't I buy another new one.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
More photos, Skip is just one Chimney full of Bricks and Rubble... All the cooking and other Kitchen duties were performed in the Laundry....Previous photo in last post is Bob the Builder and Son, demolishing the old Chimney. Laundry area and how much the house has risen in another.... "mind the gap"..... House from front and another large gap, which pulled the posts from the Verandah, which means the Verandah has to be pulled down and rebuilt. Finally the old lean to which will have to be pulled down and replaced.

I feel your pain and remember it only too well from a past experience of my own.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
why the bloody Hell didn't I buy another new one.
Cos they are souless arse? (sorry to anyone who has one, I just dont like it!)
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm food for thought. Been looking at a very old property (1895) in the hills, but it needs stumping....Only the front half and will be around 10K, but yeah...dont think I can go through it with 3 kids in tow....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:20 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Last two houses I had in the UK were brand new after I went through the same sort of disruption Ozzie is facing now on the one prior to them. I swore blind that I would never have another old house... and then went and bought a 30yr old one here.
Been in four years.... new kitchen, aircon, new wardrobes, couple of toilets replaced, flooring.... why the bloody Hell didn't I buy another new one.
Indeed. Funny thing is, I always wanted an old victorian house in the uk, but here, it's the opposite.

Oh, and ours here is 30 yrs old too.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You have my sympathy - we had to have an 8 year-old house in the UK piled - we were in a rental for 6 months while they pulled the entire downstairs, floor and all, out. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your empathy guys.

Get the floorboards fixed up Friday week. Then have to wait for a while for Sanding and Polishing. Back to Work on Sunday night, so it's going to be slow progress after that. Just couldn't bring myself to move from this area. Someone else would have made a killing with this place if I hadn't bitten the bullet.

Pee'd off at my Finance guy for leading me up the proverbial garden path, assuring us how easy it would be to get a loan to build two Townhouses. "Yeah sure" till he realised how much it would really cost to build 'erm. Ironic thing is I will probably end up owing a fair bit more in renovating, than I would have building the Two Townhouses and selling one.

I'll probably have to wait till October/November at least before I knock down the Lean to and build the extension, dont fancy doing it in a Melbourne winter..

What do you reckon on Chocolate tinted baltic pine floor boards with shades of White paint work throughout ? We need White and offshades of White walls because there isn't a lot of natural light in this house.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 28th 2011 at 8:22 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thanks for your empathy guys.

Get the floorboards fixed up Friday week. Then have to wait for a while for Sanding and Polishing. Back to Work on Sunday night, so it's going to be slow progress after that. Just couldn't bring myself to move from this area. Someone else would have made a killing with this place if I hadn't bitten the bullet.

Pee'd off at my Finance guy for leading me up the proverbial garden path, assuring us how easy it would be to get a loan to build two Townhouses. "Yeah sure" till he realised how much it would really cost to build 'erm. Ironic thing is I will probably end up owing a fair bit more in renovating, than I would have building the Two Townhouses and selling one.

I'll probably have to wait till October/November at least before I knock down the Lean to and build the extension, dont fancy doing it in a Melbourne winter..

What do you reckon on Chocolate tinted baltic pine floor boards with shades of White paint work throughout ? We need White and offshades of White walls because there isn't a lot of natural light in this house.
The dark floor and white walls sound lovely,I have seen it alot.Dont go too fussy on your furniture.It sounds a mare with the upheavel.Everytime we buy we always swear we will buy a new house this time.Its never happened.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:43 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good mate. Older houses done up are the best, plenty of character
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "stumping"?
Our house is 50 years old and needs a lot of work- we were shocked to hear that it will cost $35k to renovate the bathroom. In the UK it only cost us £5000 for everything, but here the fittings alone will cost 5-8 thousand. Apparently you can't just replace fittings, you have to strip the whole thing and waterproof the lot so it is up to Australian Standards. And whatever happened to overflows???
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "stumping"?
Our house is 50 years old and needs a lot of work- we were shocked to hear that it will cost $35k to renovate the bathroom. In the UK it only cost us £5000 for everything, but here the fittings alone will cost 5-8 thousand. Apparently you can't just replace fittings, you have to strip the whole thing and waterproof the lot so it is up to Australian Standards. And whatever happened to overflows???

Have you had a look here? These guys aren't cheap either so it will give you an idea if you're being 'done'

http://www.reece.com.au/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.