Resident of Coburg

Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resident of Coburg

Forgive me, Ex-Pats, for I have sinned; it has been six months since my last post. And in that time, Thribble and I have bought ourselves a little house in the People's Republic of Moreland.

ozzieeagle, I think this makes us neighbours, yesno?

Buying a house over here was so much easier than in the UK: we were in our new home within about 70 days of first viewing the place. It all happened so quickly. As did the first drop in interest rates :-) If anyone reading this is considering taking the plunge, just do it!

So yes, this is our first time living North of The Yarra and shall be taking recommendations on:
  • Indian Restaurants / Take-aways
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Locksmiths
  • Pubs!
  • [...]

It's nice having our own place after three years of renting, although it's still a bit of a shock to the system every time I see something that needs repair and think . o O ( I'll have to let the landlor... oh bugger! ). Still, I think we'll hang around a bit longer. And after debacles when I headed to Auckland at the weekend, I think it's about time I got myself a blue passport.

Mai Tai on Lygon Street, incidentally does excellent Thai food, if you're in the area.

Cheers;

--paj
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:01 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident of Coburg

Johnsy, do my eyes deceive me?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Forgive me, Ex-Pats, for I have sinned; it has been six months since my last post. And in that time, Thribble and I have bought ourselves a little house in the People's Republic of Moreland.

ozzieeagle, I think this makes us neighbours, yesno?

Buying a house over here was so much easier than in the UK: we were in our new home within about 70 days of first viewing the place. It all happened so quickly. As did the first drop in interest rates :-) If anyone reading this is considering taking the plunge, just do it!

So yes, this is our first time living North of The Yarra and shall be taking recommendations on:
  • Indian Restaurants / Take-aways
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Locksmiths
  • Pubs!
  • [...]
It's nice having our own place after three years of renting, although it's still a bit of a shock to the system every time I see something that needs repair and think . o O ( I'll have to let the landlor... oh bugger! ). Still, I think we'll hang around a bit longer. And after debacles when I headed to Auckland at the weekend, I think it's about time I got myself a blue passport.

Mai Tai on Lygon Street, incidentally does excellent Thai food, if you're in the area.

Cheers;

--paj
Well done

First port of call Saleem Bombay... opposite Waterfield St, on Bell St, Not a bad curry and half decent ambience, for Australian standards that is. Very Cheap at 7.50 per main course.

I'll add more later, but unfortunately the main action from our point of view starts across Moreland Rd. Although here in Coburg we probably get the best Kebabs in Australia. The Kebab shop next to Coles is always busy, with most of the patrons being Turkish or Lebanese, they know where to go. The owners bake their own bread on the premises... unlike anything I've ever had before. I cannot recall ever eating a better Kebab. The Turks and Lebanese that run the many Kebab houses in Coburg are now so Anglosised don't be surprised if they sign off with a "thanks love"

Pubs in Coburg... not really anything special... Perhaps the Woodlands would be the pick of them. However once you get across the great divide which is Moreland Rd, then you move into territory, to which the rest of Melbourne visits. Places like the Retreat Hotel, The Spot (aka Lentil as anything), The Brunswick Green, Cornish Arms and Warwick Thai, are well known all over Melbourne. There are too many really good venues to mention thankfully.

I'll add more later.

Coburg is filling up with professionals now, so I'm glad you've joined them and us

Must catch up for a Curry

BTW we are supposed to be getting a plethora of Wine bars, Cinemas, Cafes and Restaurants, across the road from me in Pentridge Village, but I've been waiting so long now... I'll believe it when I see it... even a brewery is supposed to be opening there.

Ahh of Course, Coburg Lake, is a must visit, I'm sure you will go there many times.

I'll PM later.

Whoops

Hiya Mackinnon

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 5th 2008 at 9:24 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Johnsy, do my eyes deceive me?
Absolutely they do.