Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Renting out UK property with no Management service

Wikiposts

Renting out UK property with no Management service

Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renting out UK property with no Management service

Hi

I think we have found ourselves a tennant for our house privately.
Question for those more experienced, where did you get your contract for the tennant to sign ?

Solicitor ?
Google ?

?????

Thanks

Stu
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting out UK property with no Management service

One of my landlords told us that he used the contract from when he used to be a tennant and tippexed out some bits. Quite a few of the contracts I've had from private landlords have looked like this actually.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:20 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you can pick up a template contract in the high street.

You can also buy and download some from law firms. Some examples

http://www.netlawman.co.uk/bizdoclis...al-tenancy.php
http://www.eagleforms.co.uk/service.php
http://blog.contractstore.com/
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/template/...nTAgreement.vm

Hope some of this helps
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:43 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a property manager in the UK and just as an aside wherever you get your contract from make sure that it states that the tenants cover all end of tenancy general cleaning costs plus carpet, upholstery & curtain cleaning. You would be surprised how many seemingly nice tenants leave the places dirty and then try to wriggle out of the cleaning costs which can run into hundreds.

Also law requires that you register the tenants' damage deposit with a company that protects deposits (such as www.mydeposits.co.uk-this is who the landlords I worked for used) & inform the tenants in writing who it is registered with. It is against the law not to do so and can lead to penalties/loss of rent and it must be done within a certain amount of time (cant recall exactly but its something like 15 days after you have received the money).

I would also advise taking out an insurance policy against them not paying their rent as it can take months to evict someone if this happens.

Good luck!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough

We used a tenancy agreement form we bought from WH Smiths.
Think it cost about £8.00 (a few years ago!!)
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

I would think an agent fee would be about 10%or more with a sign on
fee .I cant for the life of me understand why you would not use one ?
the risks involved with a tenant , could put you in the workhouse.
a less risky thing would be playing hop scotch on the Harbour Bridge
at rush hour DONT DO IT

Good night Good luck.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

steveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant future

Hi

We are just looking into renting the house out, as its obvious that it is not going to sell.

We have found a tenent already but will definately be using a letting agent to do all the necessary work involved ie credit checks etc. The cost is 10% of the monthly income, but there is a one off fee of £200 to start everything off.

For us being the other side of the world it will set our minds at rest, and after much discussion its not fair to leave family or friends to deal with protental problems.

At the end of the day we want to get on with living our new lives, not worrying that the tenent has been doing this that or the other.

Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Lanesra1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveandlesley
Hi

We are just looking into renting the house out, as its obvious that it is not going to sell.

We have found a tenent already but will definately be using a letting agent to do all the necessary work involved ie credit checks etc. The cost is 10% of the monthly income, but there is a one off fee of £200 to start everything off.

For us being the other side of the world it will set our minds at rest, and after much discussion its not fair to leave family or friends to deal with protental problems.

At the end of the day we want to get on with living our new lives, not worrying that the tenent has been doing this that or the other.

We have also let our house through an agent. Previously we hadn't used this service and it was an absolute nightmare trying to get the so called buyers out, took nearly 3 months, they hade changed the locks, and left it in a less than perfect state!!!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:05 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say, that having let our UK property for the last 2 years, there is no way in this world that I would do it without a property manager - not a chance in hell. We're already onto our 3rd tenant. First one stopped paying and finally left the place in a right tip - 2nd ones were great tenants but only stayed for 6 months as they separated and 3rd one isn't allowing the Estate Agents into the property to get a valuation (as she knows we want to sell!!!). As it is I dont stress over it, because in my mind I pay someone else to do that - but if we didnt have a property manager I think I'd seriously lose it!

We pay 7% fees and thats well worth it in my opinion

Sorry cant help you with the forms

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jul 12th 2008 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Well i think we will be going down the no management route as we have an aquaintance renting it out.

For those that have done it this way, whats the best method of getting paid ?

I thought that a monthly standing order would do it.

Stu
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Well i think we will be going down the no management route as we have an aquaintance renting it out.

For those that have done it this way, whats the best method of getting paid ?

I thought that a monthly standing order would do it.

Stu

Yes a standing order to go out at the start of each rental month but get them to pay the first months rent and the 4 or 6 week damage deposit in cleared funds (i.e. bankers draft made out to you) on or before the day of move in.