Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Renting house, but concerned about mortgage?

Renting house, but concerned about mortgage?

Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Renting house, but concerned about mortgage?

Hi,

We are currently locked in to a 5 yr fixed rate mortgage and to get out of it will cost us 10k :-O I am thinking about possible options as we want to rent our property out rather than sell it.

Do we let the property and not tell mortgage provider so as to avoid rip off redemption penalty

Ask mortgage provider whether we can switch to a but to let. Worried about doing this as if they say no, then they know we are going to Aus

The other thing is what you do about getting a new mortgage when you are in Aus and your current one comes to an end?

Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting house, but concerned about mortgage?

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Hi,

We are currently locked in to a 5 yr fixed rate mortgage and to get out of it will cost us 10k :-O I am thinking about possible options as we want to rent our property out rather than sell it.

Do we let the property and not tell mortgage provider so as to avoid rip off redemption penalty

Ask mortgage provider whether we can switch to a but to let. Worried about doing this as if they say no, then they know we are going to Aus

The other thing is what you do about getting a new mortgage when you are in Aus and your current one comes to an end?

Thanks

Just checking, you must be talking about a UK Mortgage right?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 7:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Assuming you mean UK, then you MUST tell your mortgage provider otherwise you mat find out that you have invalidated the mortgage and any mortgage protection policy, you also need to tell the insurance companies, in fact you should have already told them you were moving to OZ as the property will/would have been left unoccupied.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
This might be of some help to you Can I let my new house without telling my lender? | This is Money
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did not tell my mortgage provider and survived. I don't know why people assume not telling mortgage provider means not telling insurer or tax man. I got the right insurance, checked the details and paid full tax. If mortgage company is still getting their money every month, they have no reason to take any action.

To the question about remortgaging, well that isn't going to be possible without getting a very expensive expat mortgage, the 5 year term will default to a standard variable I will assume, it won't "end" because money is still owed.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 26th 2014 at 8:14 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with BS. Getting a good deal on a mortgage in the UK from abroad is tough. Phone around though. There are people who will do it, you will pay a premium being non resident, but it may work for you. Don't bother with the high street banks. There's no need negotiation there.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

When I made a claim on my insurance for the kitchen fire in my former home turned rental, one of the first things the insurer wanted was proof that I'd got consent to rent from the building society I have my mortgage with.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:59 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well I did not tell my mortgage provider and survived. I don't know why people assume not telling mortgage provider means not telling insurer or tax man. I got the right insurance, checked the details and paid full tax. If mortgage company is still getting their money every month, they have no reason to take any action.

To the question about remortgaging, well that isn't going to be possible without getting a very expensive expat mortgage, the 5 year term will default to a standard variable I will assume, it won't "end" because money is still owed.
It's a con but the mortgage company typically adds on a couple of percent if you switch from owner occupier to landlord.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
When I made a claim on my insurance for the kitchen fire in my former home turned rental, one of the first things the insurer wanted was proof that I'd got consent to rent from the building society I have my mortgage with.
Did you ask them why? I read my policy carefully and there was no mention of my mortgage situation.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:58 pm
Banned

Did you ask them why? I read my policy carefully and there was no mention of my mortgage situation.
I'm pretty sure it said in the small print that I needed to have consent from my mortgage provider. I'm with the same insurer and product so I'll dig up the policy and check.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm pretty sure it said in the small print that I needed to have consent from my mortgage provider. I'm with the same insurer and product so I'll dig up the policy and check.
Well if not says it, then that makes sense, but if it does not, I don't see how they can claim this was required after the fact.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:11 am
Banned

Well if not says it, then that makes sense, but if it does not, I don't see how they can claim this was required after the fact.
I would think that most landlords' insurances would have that clause because it's a "wriggle out of commitment" opportunity that few insurers would be able to resist.

Consent to Let FAQs - Direct Line For Business
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would think that most landlords' insurances would have that clause because it's a "wriggle out of commitment" opportunity that few insurers would be able to resist.

Consent to Let FAQs - Direct Line For Business
Mine didn't.

Also that link did not suggest that the insurer has a view on whether the mortgage provider is told. Only that they themselves are told (which is obvious).

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 29th 2014 at 4:11 am.