Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

the renovators thread

the renovators thread

Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:13 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default the renovators thread

are there any renovators out there like me ?

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

am i the only mad person who moved here to start banging in nails on my days off?

thanks ast
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:15 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the renovators thread

Originally Posted by aston man

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

am i the only mad person who moved here to start banging in nails on my days off?

thanks ast
After doing renovation work in Canada, where the studs are all soft pine or aluminium Im just too bloody lazy to hammer nails into rock solid hardwoods used here to combat infestations.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We're doing our house up. Started with the kitchen around August time, and it's still not finished yet
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

thanks ast
if youve a spare week to read it ours is all here to date

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...400962&page=12
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We bought an old bakery and cottage and are planning to renovate but the plans are taking a bit longer than expected . Since we have moved in we have found that the old septic needs replacing so that will get done soon hopefully and the pipes from the well are disintegrating but we are hoping that they will survive until we start building. At the moment we are having to sleep in what will be a living room and it is wearing a bit thin. But it is all part of the game.
Nicky
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:49 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
At the moment we are having to sleep in what will be a living room and it is wearing a bit thin. But it is all part of the game.
Nicky
Damn right, life's a big game............
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

thanks ast
Everything I tried to do went badly wrong, mind you I hate handyman stuff, so that may be a major contributing factor.

You should see the Qland sun room I stuck on the back of my 3 bed Victorian.... Gawd it's frigging ugly. The missus calls it my shed. Mind you at least it's served its purpose... housing teenagers..

We did do a half decent job of polishing the floordboards though, but hell did we make a moonscape out our larden plaster lol !

Hmm on reflection, the missus did most of the floorboards, I sort of helped
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Our living room has beautiful wooden floors but they are badly damaged (probably from when this part of the house was the lolly shop) so several boards need replacing or some serious filling. Plus the floor is held up by supports in our cellar (well more of a cave) and to be honest I really feel like these need checking out. I know the place has stood for a long time but the number of supports under there doesn't really fill me with confidence . I would also love to use the cellar space in time so it will need finishing off properly as dirt floors and walls really aren't my thing and are far too tempting to kids with spades .
More to add to the list of to do jobs but after 5 years of renting I am enjoying the change of being able to plan changes for the house ourselves.
Nicky
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

thanks ast
Nope, aston man, rest assured you're not alone.

We bought a 160 year old place and have dealt with asbestos, dry rot, white ants (little buggers turn wood to flour) taken out a wall, converted an out building to a guest annexe, rewired the place sorted out the shitty plumbing - who wants a shower that delivers 4 drips a minute? And are in the process of installing air con (thank the lord!!) All my spare time and money goes into this sodding cave. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

On the plus side - I don't miss the UK as I ain't got time, I've built up a fabulous collection of power tools, and the blokes at Mitre 10 make me sandwiches when I go there.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:09 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We've just started renovating too!! I'm sure we moved here for an easier life!!! C x
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:20 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

how you finding it?

how are you getting on..

thanks ast
we have started on the shed.
still trying to find things in boxes, so i nipped to bunnings today and bought a tOn ( really hate the way australians say it) of wood. started to at one end and have 4 and a half meters of shelving so far, next wall is 8 meters long and i start that tomorrow

im with you ast, i think we are all mad
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

yep we have, here are some before and after of just the kitchen
Attached Thumbnails the renovators thread-copy-renovations-010.jpg   the renovators thread-renovations-079.jpg  
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ast,
Not sure whether you would call it renovation or pipe dream, i was planning on turning a shade house into a bar area, not a huge job but i have only done a patio and garden wall before... least if i cock it up no one will notice!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! :curse: It's been ongoing for the past seven years and I am sick to the back teeth of it.

As soon as this place is finally finished I'm going to sell it and move into a nice, new place with F-all to do except relax and enjoy.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:52 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi Ast,
Not sure whether you would call it renovation or pipe dream, i was planning on turning a shade house into a bar area, not a huge job but i have only done a patio and garden wall before... least if i cock it up no one will notice!
mate if you need a hand give me a shout..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.