Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport from Australia

Renewing British Passport from Australia

Old May 9th 2020, 1:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport from Australia

Originally Posted by scot47
Letting yoiur passport expire is a problem when it comes to renewal.
It wasn't for me 2 years ago - it was as easy as renewing my Aussie passport
Old May 15th 2020, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if the question has been answered but thought I'd pop my 2 cents in. We applied for baby Clacfarts first passport a few months ago. We did need a counter signature from a British passport holder but this was done electronically. You give them the email of the person and then when they receive the email from HMRC they input their passport details, name etc. How they know you, how long.

Now as ours was for a baby only a month old at the time the requirement was that they knew the applicants parent(s).

Failing that, im pretty sure you can get a notary to sign it without having to have known them because it's what they do. Hope you manage to sort it
Old May 16th 2020, 12:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Not sure if the question has been answered but thought I'd pop my 2 cents in. We applied for baby Clacfarts first passport a few months ago. We did need a counter signature from a British passport holder but this was done electronically. You give them the email of the person and then when they receive the email from HMRC they input their passport details, name etc. How they know you, how long.
That's remarkably sensible.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:40 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
We did need a counter signature from a British passport holder but this was done electronically.
This is where I have a problem, because the government website also states that the person doing the online confirmation not only needs to be a UK citizen but also needs to be a current UK resident.

Can we still do things offline the old way, because when I do to the official website it doesn't even show me that option at all?
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
This is where I have a problem, because the government website also states that the person doing the online confirmation not only needs to be a UK citizen but also needs to be a current UK resident.

Can we still do things offline the old way, because when I do to the official website it doesn't even show me that option at all?
They only need to be a UK resident if you are applying from within the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:39 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They only need to be a UK resident if you are applying from within the UK.
This is marvelous news, and completely unexpected given the website wasn't very helpful. Is this 100% because I don't want to put someone in a very tough and uncomfortable place if they get contacted and have to confirm that they know me, live in the UK, etc.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 9:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

This is marvelous news, and completely unexpected given the website wasn't very helpful. Is this 100% because I don't want to put someone in a very tough and uncomfortable place if they get contacted and have to confirm that they know me, live in the UK, etc.
I have rung HMPO previously to confirm. The website is contradictory but you can find the same information here: https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications
Old Oct 28th 2020, 10:57 pm

Hmm, I was asking about online confirmation but this seems to be all about the old method.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 10:12 pm

Hmm, I was asking about online confirmation but this seems to be all about the old method.
The same criteria apply. HMPO acknowledged that the online check instructions were a one size fits all and didn’t apply to overseas applications. If you’re concerned then I would give them a call.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 5:33 pm

Thanks BiP, I just had a chat with HMPO and their official line was that if the person doing the confirmation doesn't reside in the UK then they cannot do it online and I need to go the paper route. But as with most dysfunctional institutions that are shoddily (mis)managed, chances are that YMMV would apply here and the HUACA route (albeit this was an online chat...) could have yielded completely different results.

Bit confusing this because I'm not sure whether that means the entire application needs to be done by paper form or just the confirmation. I had my money on the former but it seems that the latter is the case as a link to some sort of paperwork is supposed to eventually show up... during the online application process.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:55 pm

Turns out that everything can be done online and that only the identity confirmation needs to be done via paper in my case.

The whole setup is kinda cool because the regular photos are no longer needed - instead, the paper confirmation form is generated by the website with a digitised picture that was uploaded earlier. So all you need to do is print out that form and get it signed.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi astera, I'd be interested to know how long it takes to get your new passport once you've sent the old one off. I imagine with Covid and Brexit it will take longer than the normal 4-6 weeks?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 11:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenella
Hi astera, I'd be interested to know how long it takes to get your new passport once you've sent the old one off. I imagine with Covid and Brexit it will take longer than the normal 4-6 weeks?
In 'normal' times mine took less than 2weeks a few years ago
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:00 am

Thanks BiP, I just had a chat with HMPO and their official line was that if the person doing the confirmation doesn't reside in the UK then they cannot do it online and I need to go the paper route. But as with most dysfunctional institutions that are shoddily (mis)managed, chances are that YMMV would apply here and the HUACA route (albeit this was an online chat...) could have yielded completely different results.

Bit confusing this because I'm not sure whether that means the entire application needs to be done by paper form or just the confirmation. I had my money on the former but it seems that the latter is the case as a link to some sort of paperwork is supposed to eventually show up... during the online application process.
Turns out that everything can be done online and that only the identity confirmation needs to be done via paper in my case.

The whole setup is kinda cool because the regular photos are no longer needed - instead, the paper confirmation form is generated by the website with a digitised picture that was uploaded earlier. So all you need to do is print out that form and get it signed.
Thanks for the update. They have evidently changed their procedure since I last spoke to them but that’s probably not surprising since it would’ve been well over a year ago now.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Fenella
Hi, no prob, I will let you know how it goes.

I did the online application form last week but only got the ID verification done yesterday (required as the passport is for a child). Straight after that I posted the ID page along with the old passport to the UK via overnight courier delivery and UPS is already showing it as delivered before 10am today (Tuesday).

They should send me a SMS as soon as the new passport ships so I will let you know when that happens. Their website did mention "up to 4 weeks" or something like that but I don't think they are overburdened with applications at a time when people simply won't be travelling for quite some time to come...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.