Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

renewed British passport but no visa in it

renewed British passport but no visa in it

Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold
Default renewed British passport but no visa in it

can anyone help as to where we have to go, to get the visas put into renewed British passports, how long it takes and how much it costs please and Thankyou,
Old Oct 31st 2012, 6:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewed British passport but no visa in it

Originally Posted by mad city fan
can anyone help as to where we have to go, to get the visas put into renewed British passports, how long it takes and how much it costs please and Thankyou,
You don't have to. The sticker in the passport is the evidence of the visa, not the visa itself. Keep the old passport with you with the label in it to show checkin staff when you fly to Australia..
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:18 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

advise diac of your new passport just in case. in sydney you can go to the diac office near central and get a new label free of charge.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I am in country Victoria and had to go to Melbourne DIAC office. I was meeting a friend anyway so it was no biggy. In and out in 5 minutes with the new label inserted. They did want my new details to put on file (there is a form but he took it straight from me telling him).

I can't be faffed carrying 2 passports! And although there's no need for the label for Australian immigration purposes as it's electronically stored, other countries and the airlines sometimes insist they see one.

Oh, and it was free.........
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:54 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I am in country Victoria and had to go to Melbourne DIAC office. I was meeting a friend anyway so it was no biggy. In and out in 5 minutes with the new label inserted. They did want my new details to put on file (there is a form but he took it straight from me telling him).

I can't be faffed carrying 2 passports! And although there's no need for the label for Australian immigration purposes as it's electronically stored, other countries and the airlines sometimes insist they see one.

Oh, and it was free.........
When I went to DIACs offices here in Canberra to get a sticker in my new passport they told me it would cost something like $60 so I opted out. Can't afford to leave the country anyway
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulry
When I went to DIACs offices here in Canberra to get a sticker in my new passport they told me it would cost something like $60 so I opted out. Can't afford to leave the country anyway
That's dead cheeky! Did it in Brisbane for free.....
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
That's dead cheeky! Did it in Brisbane for free.....
How strange. In that case I'll try again when I'm next in the city. Thanks for that.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
How strange. In that case I'll try again when I'm next in the city. Thanks for that.
It was only a few months ago that the charge was introduced. Not free anywhere now.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 7:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lesleys
It was only a few months ago that the charge was introduced. Not free anywhere now.
Spoilsport

Ah well, just another two years until citizenship...
Old Oct 31st 2012, 7:21 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

just advise DIAC of new passprt details then. and maybe print out a copy of the VEVO screen which matches your new passport no.
https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/evo/sta...irstPartyQuery
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth

just advise DIAC of new passprt details then. and maybe print out a copy of the VEVO screen which matches your new passport no.
https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/evo/sta...irstPartyQuery
That's a good free work-around
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:44 pm
Daffyd Duck

and print out the diac webpage which says visa labels are unnecessary.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/about-your-visa.htm
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:55 pm
Daffyd Duck

print this http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/travell...visa-label.pdf
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

I had a problem coming back from the US a while ago where Qantas' computer at the boarding gate kept saying that I didn't have a valid visa.

It was only after jumping up and down and throwing my toys out of the pram (whilst waving my visa label in front of the person not letting me on the plane) that I was finally allowed on.

It's all a moot point now as I have an Australian passport, but when I renewed by UK passport before getting citizenship, the first thing I did was get a visa label put into it.

Having a visa label in your passport isn't a requirement, but it's a bloody good idea. Especially when computers cock up.

Cheers

Steve