Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Relevant Literature Found Whilst Packing - interesting read!

Wikiposts

Relevant Literature Found Whilst Packing - interesting read!

Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Relevant Literature Found Whilst Packing - interesting read!

Packers are arriving Friday and have just been clearing out the last few drawers and stumbled upon the following extract which I had written out from Silas Marner in my travelling years - probably more relevant now!
------------------------------------------------

Even people whose lives have been made various by learning sometimes find it hard to keep a fast hold on their habitual views of life, on their faith in the Invisible, nay, on the sense that their past joys and sorrows are a real experience, when they are suddenly transported to a new land, where the beings around them know nothing of their history, and share none of their ideas—where their mother earth shows another lap, and human life has other forms than those on which their souls have been nourished. Minds that have been unhinged from their old faith and love have perhaps sought this Lethean influence of exile, in which the past becomes dreamy because its symbols have all vanished, and the present too is dreamy because it is linked with no memories.-------------------------------------------------

So for those already in Australia - can you bear witness to this??!

Rachel
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:39 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relevant Literature Found Whilst Packing - interesting read!

Originally Posted by The Crow
Packers are arriving Friday and have just been clearing out the last few drawers and stumbled upon the following extract which I had written out from Silas Marner in my travelling years - probably more relevant now!
------------------------------------------------

Even people whose lives have been made various by learning sometimes find it hard to keep a fast hold on their habitual views of life, on their faith in the Invisible, nay, on the sense that their past joys and sorrows are a real experience, when they are suddenly transported to a new land, where the beings around them know nothing of their history, and share none of their ideas—where their mother earth shows another lap, and human life has other forms than those on which their souls have been nourished. Minds that have been unhinged from their old faith and love have perhaps sought this Lethean influence of exile, in which the past becomes dreamy because its symbols have all vanished, and the present too is dreamy because it is linked with no memories.-------------------------------------------------

So for those already in Australia - can you bear witness to this??!

Rachel

erm...could you translate that into English please?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I know what you mean - I just read it out to Adam and he just had this gone out look on this face... To me it means that you'll be neither here nor there for a while... no doubt some literary student/expert will summarise it far better than I could...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW

LOL, that's what I thought. Didn't say owt cos I didn't want to appear dim!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Gist is you forget/don't notice the shit 'cos the bucket is shinier and is actually a pail.

Lethean - as in river Lethe, for the mythologists amongst us [drink from the Lethe (Hades) and souls forgot their life on earth]
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:52 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
in which the past becomes dreamy because its symbols have all vanished, and the present too is dreamy because it is linked with no memories
Sounds like someone waking up with a hangover!