Reflux anyone?

Old May 24th 2011, 11:55 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reflux anyone?

Originally Posted by brissybee
Thanks for the advice everyone.

After I've eliminated the obvious like spicy food, alcohol, coffee and chocolate I guess the rest will be trial and error.

Is it true that milk causes reflux?

Does anyone know of a good morning beverage that doesn't cause reflux problems?

Back to the doc on Friday and hopefully a good solution.

I find that eggs are also likely to bring on reflux - Things like omlettes, scrambled eggs etc. Try cutting them out too.

S
Old May 25th 2011, 12:03 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

Looks like a yummy glass of luke warm water and maybe some rice crackers for morning tea.
And go easy on the crackers!
Old May 25th 2011, 12:11 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get reflux and heartburn daily until someone suggested giving up bread /pies for a while to see what happened. Within a week or two the problem went away and I've lost a few Kg's since then too. I used to really like bread but don't miss it much at all now.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
Used to have shares in Zantac, I downed so much. Then, last August, gave up wheat and dairy and havent had a Zantac since. I think it is the wheat which gave me the reflux but just in case, I remain gluten and dairy free. It isnt the end of the world that I feared it might be! Other benefit (to DH at least) is that I almost immediately stopped snoring and have stopped having sleep apnoea as well.
I've heard that you should be careful about going gluten free unless you have been advised to. I've been told that going gluten free can make you coeliac, which, as well as making you gluten free anyway, can cause a raft of complications, including your body not absorbing minerals, nutrients and calcium. It's not a nice disease
Old May 25th 2011, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
I've heard that you should be careful about going gluten free unless you have been advised to. I've been told that going gluten free can make you coeliac, which, as well as making you gluten free anyway, can cause a raft of complications, including your body not absorbing minerals, nutrients and calcium. It's not a nice disease
Going gluten-free cannot give you Coeliac Disease. CD is an auto-immune disease where the body reacts abnormally to gluten, causing damage to the small intestine.

If it is suspected that you might have CD, or you ask your doctor to arrange diagnostic tests, it is really important that you continue to eat foods containing gluten, so that any signs of the disease can be seen. It is recommended that a normal diet including foods containing gluten is eaten for at least 6 weeks before testing. If you stop eating foods containing gluten, the small intestine can improve, and diagnostic tests can give a false negative result. Read more about CD here.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I find that eggs are also likely to bring on reflux - Things like omlettes, scrambled eggs etc. Try cutting them out too.

S
Eggs are my worst intolerance, and the only thing I actually suspected before I was tested as even the sight of a pan of scrambles (previously loved) would make me queasy.

Bovine Dairy gives me heartburn. Sheep and goat does not.

(Going G-F can make you Coeliac? I think they were pulling your leg.)
Old May 25th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Going gluten-free cannot give you Coeliac Disease. CD is an auto-immune disease where the body reacts abnormally to gluten, causing damage to the small intestine.

If it is suspected that you might have CD, or you ask your doctor to arrange diagnostic tests, it is really important that you continue to eat foods containing gluten, so that any signs of the disease can be seen. It is recommended that a normal diet including foods containing gluten is eaten for at least 6 weeks before testing. If you stop eating foods containing gluten, the small intestine can improve, and diagnostic tests can give a false negative result. Read more about CD here.
That's a really important point - apparently CD can come on later in life and when I got tested I got the all clear but hadnt realized that you actually have to gluten load in the weeks before the test whereas I had already given it up. As it was, I had allergen blood tests and although I know they are a bit suss, they have definitely identified a whole load of stuff that makes me feel considerably better.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
Eggs are my worst intolerance, and the only thing I actually suspected before I was tested as even the sight of a pan of scrambles (previously loved) would make me queasy.

Bovine Dairy gives me heartburn. Sheep and goat does not.

(Going G-F can make you Coeliac? I think they were pulling your leg.)
Fair enough, just thought I should throw that in as it was what I had heard. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:15 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that when I am regular the reflux is better. Good amounts of fibre help. Jet lag and hangovers are a killer.

Constipation can be caused by intolerances however knowing which food to eliminate is very hard. Elimination diets would go down badly in a gulag.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
That's a really important point - apparently CD can come on later in life and when I got tested I got the all clear but hadnt realized that you actually have to gluten load in the weeks before the test whereas I had already given it up. As it was, I had allergen blood tests and although I know they are a bit suss, they have definitely identified a whole load of stuff that makes me feel considerably better.
A lot of people are wandering around with undiagnosed CD and there have been quite a few cases where it is only picked up once another condition is diagnosed, such as osteoporosis.

From The Coeliac Society's website: http://www.coeliac.org.au/dis-what.html

Who gets Coeliac Disease?

People are born with a genetic predisposition to develop coeliac disease. They inherit a particular genetic make-up (HLA type) with the genes DQ2 and DQ8 being identified as the “coeliac genes”. Gene testing is presently available through pathology laboratories (by blood test or buccal swab). The gene test is useful for excluding coeliac disease. The presence of HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 is not helpful as a positive predictor of coeliac disease, as only 1 in 30 people (approximately) with these genes will have coeliac disease. The gene test cannot diagnose coeliac disease – only exclude it.

Environmental factors also play an important role in the development of coeliac disease.

How Common is the Condition?

Coeliac disease affects approximately 1 in 100 Australians. However 75% currently remain undiagnosed. This means that approximately 157,000 Australians have coeliac disease but don’t yet know it.

Another useful website: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...oeliac_disease

"Malnutrition, osteoporosis, depression, infertility and a small (but real) increased risk of certain forms of cancer, such as lymphoma of the small bowel, are just some of the problems that can develop if coeliac disease is left untreated. Blood screening tests have shown that coeliac disease affects approximately one in 100 Australians."

About 1 in 100 people in the UK are also affected by CD, with women 2-3 times more likely to develop it. Diagnosis is confirmed by gut biopsy taken during an endoscopy. It cannot be diagnosed by naturopaths or similar disciplines.
Old May 26th 2011, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
To those that are considering an endoscopy I just wanted to mention that it's nothing to fear and just a mild bit of discomfort as the tube is introduced ... They let me have a gander at the scope, it's quite educational actually.

My symptoms were a rising burning sensation after meals and the occasional regurgitation of food ... Now, enjoy your morning tea
Hate to disagree but, I was given a general anaesthetic for my gastroscopy, but they misjudged the amount of anesthetic, so I was still concious and choking while they stuffed the camera down my throat.

When it was over the doctor was really surprised when I sat up and told him that was AGONY. I thought I was going to choke to death.

JTL
Old May 26th 2011, 6:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hate to disagree but, I was given a general anaesthetic for my gastroscopy, but they misjudged the amount of anesthetic, so I was still concious and choking while they stuffed the camera down my throat.

When it was over the doctor was really surprised when I sat up and told him that was AGONY. I thought I was going to choke to death.

JTL
Ouch, that must be an exception though ... maybe
Old May 26th 2011, 6:42 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Had a barium swallow x-ray this morning. That was fun.

If anyone has any tried and proven dietary, lifestyle, management tips for adult reflux, I'd love to hear them please.
easy.....
lose weight
give up alcohol, fatty, spicy and acidic food
don't eat too much, especially in the evening
avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatories
sleep upright

if you can't be arsed with all that, get a script for some medication called a proton pump inhibitor, which will banish the symptoms with absolutely no effort required on your part to change anything.

any other questions?
Old May 26th 2011, 6:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
easy.....
lose weight
give up alcohol, fatty, spicy and acidic food
don't eat too much, especially in the evening
avoid aspirin and anti-inflammatories
sleep upright

if you can't be arsed with all that, get a script for some medication called a proton pump inhibitor, which will banish the symptoms with absolutely no effort required on your part to change anything.

any other questions?
None of which would have the slightest bearing on my reflux issues. If only life were that simple.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:32 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
None of which would have the slightest bearing on my reflux issues. If only life were that simple.
crikey, you're hard to please. that'll be $60 please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.