Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recycled effluent in Queensland

Recycled effluent in Queensland

Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Recycled effluent in Queensland

I was sent this today with a request to forward to anyone who might be interested in signing. I have been told that the US has been using recycled water for a long time now and doesn't make a fuss about it - I don't know if this is true, but there seem to be a fair few unhappy folk in Queensland.

r12p

================================================== =

AFIN MEMO - Nov 06 08

Brisbane's water grid will soon be delivering recycled effluent/sewerage as well as hospital waste, mortuary waste and industrial waste to householders to be used for domestic purposes (drinking, cooking, bathing). This is a first-in-the-world living experiment using a large amount of recycled water (Singapore adds only about 1% of recycled water to its water supply). Not all pharmaceutical drugs can be filtered from this waste product.

If you are any of the following - a Queensland resident, a Q'ld citizen or a Q'ld elector in a nominated electorate - you are eligible to sign the E-Petition to "Prohibit the use of recycled sewerage effluent for drinking purposes".

This E-Petition can be accessed via the following link:

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...=1141&lIndex=-

A claim has been made to the effect that hospital waste is processed prior to it being released into the sewerage system. A check at a Brisbane hospital by the president of Queenslanders For Water, Air and Food Inc. found this claim to be untrue.

Your vote and the vote of many others would be appreciated.

Ailsa Boyden
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:10 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Recycled effluent in Queensland

Recycling water needs to happen here in Australia - desperately!

UK/Canada and many countries recycle their water and it's heavily regulated - in fact Canada used to state that the recycled water is better for you than bottled water as goes through many checks.

Here they will filter it 7 times - the news showed the guy drinking it after 5 filters and it was fine.

Doesn't bother me unless I am thinking about it.

With all the water restrictions I am all for it!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

A lot of water in the UK is recycled from sewage, a close friend of mine works for the water board monitoring the treatment plants that do the filtering etc. You would not blieve how much it is filtered and very strictly monitored.

I have no worries about drinking the tap water in the UK and would say that Australia should be recycling the waste water to help with the crisis.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Qld pollies spout so much effluent it's about time they recycled some of it
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:59 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Decisions, decisions either recycled water or no water at all!

Drank that shit in England and would be perfectly happy drinking it in Oz. Always makes me laugh seeing them get hot under the collar on the TV thinking they will drag it straight from the sewer to the tap. Same with daylight saving some of the things you hear are just unbelievable.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on Queensland it's 2008! not 1808.

Either recycle or stop moaning about water shortages.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Come on Queensland it's 2008! not 1808.

Either recycle or stop moaning about water shortages.
Umm... Qld has already got it going, the plant is online, and some of it has already even been drunk.

However, Professor Collignon, from the Australian National University in Canberra, told The Australian last week that viruses could still slip through the seven-stage purification system and contaminate the water, leading to potentially fatal infections such as encephalitis and heart disease.

Maybe the rest of Australia will follow QLD and do the same sometime ?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this interesting.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/NEWater/Pages/default.aspx

(Or you might not. )
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:03 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Umm... Qld has already got it going, the plant is online, and some of it has already even been drunk.

However, Professor Collignon, from the Australian National University in Canberra, told The Australian last week that viruses could still slip through the seven-stage purification system and contaminate the water, leading to potentially fatal infections such as encephalitis and heart disease.

ALL water is recycled. This just speeds up the process a bit.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a factor in the millions. In fact you'll probably find that the recycled water is far purer than the current water supply.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:04 am
Account Closed

You never know. We may even get decent broadband and internet shopping!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
You never know. We may even get decent broadband and internet shopping!
What is decent broadband ? I am on 1.5Mb considering an upgrade to 8Mb. What speeds can I look forward to in comparison ?

And internet shopping ? I'd rather go to the shops for my bread and milk

However, I already buy: Contact lenses, Computer parts, Books and other things by internet, whenever I want to.

Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the water recycled here in Adelaide is piped up to the Market garden areas of Virginia.......for watering of vegetables.......it is checked every day ,to check its purity...............mm
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
ALL water is recycled. This just speeds up the process a bit.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a factor in the millions. In fact you'll probably find that the recycled water is far purer than the current water supply.
Ah, but this is recycled sewage And people imagine what is was before it went into the treatment machines, and sometimes it is best to just not know !!!

Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:13 am
Account Closed

What is decent broadband ? I am on 1.5Mb considering an upgrade to 8Mb. What speeds can I look forward to in comparison ?

And internet shopping ? I'd rather go to the shops for my bread and milk

However, I already buy: Contact lenses, Computer parts, Books and other things by internet, whenever I want to.

It's called a joke? My apologies I should have know better.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I was sent that email by an Aussie friend.

I'm pretty sure I have drank recycled water most of my life while in Canada. So I can't really see what all the fuss is about. Of course the idea in itself is pretty gross. But in my case I learned all about it once I'd already been drinking it for like 10 years so it didn't really bother me so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.