Reload this Page >

Record Number of Australians Leaving

Wikiposts

Record Number of Australians Leaving

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Record Number of Australians Leaving

It seems the Macquarie doesn't drop the 'E' from my quick check.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:04 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It seems the Macquarie doesn't drop the 'E' from my quick check.
Australian isn't it? As I said perhaps in Australian English they don't drop the 'e'. I always drop the e. Their comments like "the couple was" , instead of "the couple were", I find annoying too.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Australian English.

Never heard the latter though.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting reaction, why does someone posting the rate of aussies leaving australia rattle so many cages

Anyway the rates about to go up, had to take a bus in brisbane today, hospital/nightmare parking and traffic. Anyway guess what the bus driver was - POLISH cracked me up, the aussie wannabes nightmare, the poles have arrived.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Hi - do you have a source for those statistics? They'd come in handy for an article I'm writing.
If you are looking for information on Australians overseas can I suggest one source:

http://www.advance.org/

The reasons for 'record numbers' leaving are very complex and in the hands of the wrong person (eg hint, northern NSW) could be misinterpreted simply as it must be a terrible place to live!

If I could just throw in a few reasons as examples. The interesting stats which Rodders posted give migration flows back to 1983 and it is clear that migration levels, both ways, have steadily increased over time. We all know the reasons - relatively cheaper travel, the world 'shrinking', more information about other places, joining up with other family members, the multitude of TV programs showing migrants experiences, the rise of multinational companies so more overseas employment postings, increased affluence, blah, blah, blah.

It is said that in recent years, at any given time, approximately 800,000 Australians are living overseas. Obviously as some return from their 'OS trip', job etc, others take their place.

There is no denying that in some fields of employment the opportunities are greater in Europe, Asia or North America so we will see an increasing number of people go overseas in search of better opportunities. It is no co-incidence that the young and those not born in Australia make up the majority of those record numbers leaving (given that presumably a high proportion of the people born in Australia who make up over half the numbers are young).

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Or a more simple reason, australians like anyone else think the grass is greener elsewhere.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

A few examples of the 'talented' people who leave to ply their trade OS.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Or a more simple reason, australians like anyone else think the grass is greener elsewhere.
What 20 million? Obviously in the brown land the grass IS greener virtually everywhere else anyway.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
A few examples of the 'talented' people who leave to ply their trade OS.

OzTennis
Just out of interest then, how many of "Britain's Finest" leave the shores of old Blighty to ply their trade elsewhere. Sure talented people from any country in the world will go to where most of the work - I think it's called wanting to do well and earn money regardless of country of origin.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just out of interest then, how many of "Britain's Finest" leave the shores of old Blighty to ply their trade elsewhere. Sure talented people from any country in the world will go to where most of the work - I think it's called wanting to do well and earn money regardless of country of origin.
The term 'brain drain' was after all a term invented in London (Wiki tells me by the Royal Society in the 1950's to describe Blighty's 'finest' scientists, technologists etc going to North America).

The UK, like Australia, is a much more different place now to what it was in the past because of the structure of the mass emigration and immigration since the 1950's.

For the UK, in very broad terms there have been waves of immigrants from West Indies, Africa, the Indian sub-continent and more recently from less developed countries who have joined the expanded EU. These people have invariably come in to do the less skilled, lower paid jobs and the 'locals' have moved up the ladder (same thing as in Australia with southern European and Asian migrants). I haven't seen stats on the make up of the UK's emigrants but at a guess I would say they are mainly UK born, young families, professional and tradespeople, perhaps the children of immigrants going back to the 'homeland' of their parents.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:10 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Unfortunately ( and I'm fairly - but not 110% - sure of this) the UK has truly crap stats when it comes to who's going in and out... Certainly no where near as detailed as Oz's...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Unfortunately ( and I'm fairly - but not 110% - sure of this) the UK has truly crap stats when it comes to who's going in and out... Certainly no where near as detailed as Oz's...

The question is though, do they have crap stats or daren't they admit to keeping track cos they don't want them published
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:16 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Shouldn't really be replying to me though should he? Has no time for "trolls" eh? Great contribution to this thread by him:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421175
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:19 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by Wendy
The question is though, do they have crap stats or daren't they admit to keeping track cos they don't want them published
No I don't think so... I looked at this a while back and to be honest I just think they don't actually keep detailed records... Kind of relates to all the crap going on with immigration, etc. at the moment anyway... No one knows what the ****s going on...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
No I don't think so... I looked at this a while back and to be honest I just think they don't actually keep detailed records... Kind of relates to all the crap going on with immigration, etc. at the moment anyway... No one knows what the ****s going on...

Nothing new there then. I don't remember a time when the UK politicians ever knew what was going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.