Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Record Number of Australians Leaving

Wikiposts

Record Number of Australians Leaving

Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:22 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Record Number of Australians Leaving

It's not just homesick Brits leaving Oz, many Kiwis return home - and many young professional Aussies are moving overseas too.

I know so many Aussies who are on expat postings in various countries - there are quite a lot where I live in the New York metro area (I live in New Jersey). They all plan to make some money and one day to return to Oz.....but the high rate of income tax puts a lot of them off.

Some Aussie friends are returning to Canberra later this year with their two children but they're securing US citizenship first: they've been in the States for nine years and their youngest was born here. I have a feeling that they will end up returning to the States eventually.

Here's the report:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070130/2/128ty.html
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:15 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Record Number of Australians Leaving

Shouldn't be long before one of the resident convict simpletons on this fourm turns up and tells us how proud they are about these brave Aussie battlers making a go of it in the big wide world.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:26 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Record Number of Australians Leaving

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Shouldn't be long before one of the resident convict simpletons on this fourm turns up and tells us how proud they are about these brave Aussie battlers making a go of it in the big wide world.
The article says they move for economic reasons not because of a better lifestyle, obviously top lawyers, doctors etc earn much more in larger countries like the USA or Uk.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jan 30th 2007 at 6:28 am.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:34 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Record Number of Australians Leaving

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The article says they move for economic reasons not because of a better lifestyle, obviously top lawyers, doctors etc earn much more in larger countries like the USA or Uk.
And that's got what to do with my post exactly?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:40 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for those people that do make the move I'd say they feel that they'll be getting a better lifestyle by earning more money... Or they wouldn't do it...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Not as quick as other simpletons
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:49 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many of them return when they're older, after getting experience under their belt, kids etc?

Who are the returning migrants? I know there are plenty of them, but where are the figures for these?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:15 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I wonder how many of them return when they're older, after getting experience under their belt, kids etc?

Who are the returning migrants? I know there are plenty of them, but where are the figures for these?
Here's the stats...

And here's the glossary to try and make sense of it...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

And that's got what to do with my post exactly?
I'll think you'll find that his post has a lot to do with the topic and the first post. He obviously has no time for trolls like yourself.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:02 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Being relevant to this article myself the move away also gives you a different perspective in life. This change sometimes changes the objective of coming or returning home. In my time away I have changed my outlook several times most likely in line with different stages in my life ie Single then married then bringing children into the world. With to having life changing incidents ie serious car accidents.

What drives people to return today may change in the near or distant future. The reasons may also not be the same draw for everyone as to the discouraging factors may not be the same for all people.

I know the tax situation is a big draw card but after a few years its not the biggest factor its the social and working in a bigger pool. A lot of my mates in Asia have realised the tax element is more than offset by the cost of living (their lifestyles not mine). When comparing people too often compare only on the first level of direct taxation and ignore indirect taxes or the standard of living higher taxes affords.

Best to look at the overall picture relevant to your own circumstances.

Slightly off tack but perhaps worth mentioning:
Work is slower in Oz but you find different challenges and opportunities - bringing overseas experience is vital. The challenge is for returning expats to utilise that knowledge and experience rather than sit back and whinge why things arent handed to them on a silver platter. For the same reason its difficult moving into a new market ie China its the same frustration and difficulties moving to Oz - no one knows you and people are "humanely" defensive - it requires tact and a certain management skill to change - sometimes I wonder whether certain returning expats have picked up this skill.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thebears
Slightly off tack but perhaps worth mentioning:
Work is slower in Oz but you find different challenges and opportunities - bringing overseas experience is vital. The challenge is for returning expats to utilise that knowledge and experience rather than sit back and whinge why things arent handed to them on a silver platter. For the same reason its difficult moving into a new market ie China its the same frustration and difficulties moving to Oz - no one knows you and people are "humanely" defensive - it requires tact and a certain management skill to change - sometimes I wonder whether certain returning expats have picked up this skill.
Most returnees do not expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter. But they do not expect their years abroad to be ignored. They do not expect to be lied to by their fellow countrymen about opportunities "at home" and the packages they can expect. The fact that 50% of returnees leave again within 2 years and 75% within 10 years is proof that "returning home" is not all it is cracked up to be!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Always nice when one of the Little Englanders from the 'moving back' forum drops by to shower us in xenophobic sputum. We all paid our own airfares though, Oswald - I realise the press is backward where you live, but transportation of convicts, be they 'simple' or not, ended in 1868. Can't believe you didn't get the memo.

Do come again.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
The fact that 50% of returnees leave again within 2 years and 75% within 10 years is proof that "returning home" is not all it is cracked up to be!
Hi - do you have a source for those statistics? They'd come in handy for an article I'm writing.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
Hi - do you have a source for those statistics? They'd come in handy for an article I'm writing.
Sorry despite looking can't find the source at the moment.

This article makes interesting reading tho:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...392598924.html

I know there is an Adelaide based academic who has done a couple of studies into the way Australia treats its repats. There has even been a Govt Enquiry - and not one of the recommendations have been implemented!

HTH
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Sorry despite looking can't find the source at the moment.

This article makes interesting reading tho:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...392598924.html

I know there is an Adelaide based academic who has done a couple of studies into the way Australia treats its repats. There has even been a Govt Enquiry - and not one of the recommendations have been implemented!

HTH
Thanks. Yea, I covered the earlier report which was an Australian parliamentary inquiry chaired by the Liberal MP Don Randall - it wouldn't have made very pleasant reading for anyone thinking of coming here on a skilled visa. Have to see if I can track down the earlier one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.