Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for my last 2 weeks in Perth

Recommendations for my last 2 weeks in Perth

Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:14 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations for my last 2 weeks in Perth

I've just arrived in Perth for my citizenship ceremony and expect to be here 2 weeks before heading to Fiji where I now live. Despite spending a couple of years in Perth there's probably lots of stuff I haven't done. I'm keener on nature type activities than manmade stuff.... Any must does????
Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for my last 2 weeks in Perth

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've just arrived in Perth for my citizenship ceremony and expect to be here 2 weeks before heading to Fiji where I now live. Despite spending a couple of years in Perth there's probably lots of stuff I haven't done. I'm keener on nature type activities than manmade stuff.... Any must does????
Congratulations on your citizenship

I'd usually suggest national parks and picnic spots, but it's not the best weather for that. Spring is nice - but the snakes are all waking up....Summer is nice, but you might get caught in a bushfire. Autumn is nice and there's lots of wildflowers

The Swan Valley gets good press but it's really just a collection of wineries - more a place to go for a meal and a few wines than an actual destination.

York's a fairly pretty, if sleepy, town to have a look around and stay a night or two. If you're keen on 4WDing and/or fishing, Lancelin offers fairly basic pub and chalet accommodation, but the fishing is fantastic and you can drive your 4WD along some sections of the beach. The Pinnacles is a bit further up - just a bunch of rocks to me but I've been told I have no soul

If I were you (don't you love it when people say that?), I'd reward myself for the citizenship journey by heading down south for a few days to a week. Places like Pemberton and Nannup are at their best in winter, chalet accommodation with log fires and gorgeous bush walks. Or Margaret River or Busselton, the former a bit more 'up market' than the latter, but both offer lovely beaches and nice cafes where you can sit for a couple of hours with a good coffee and a book.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jun 1st 2014 at 11:39 am. Reason: sp. errors R not Me
Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:42 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Congratulations on your citizenship

I'd usually suggest national parks and picnic spots, but it's not the best weather for that. Spring is nice - but the snakes are all waking up....Summer is nice, but you might get caught in a bushfire. Autumn is nice and there's lots of wildflowers

The Swan Valley gets good press but it's really just a collection of wineries - more a place to go for a meal and a few wines than an actual destination.

York's a fairly pretty, if sleepy, town to have a look around and stay a night or two. If you're keen on 4WDing and/or fishing, Lancelin offers fairly basic pub and chalet accommodation, but the fishing is fantastic and you can drive your 4WD along some sections of the beach. The Pinnacles is a bit further up - just a bunch of rocks to me but I've been told I have no soul

If I were you (don't you love it when people say that?), I'd reward myself for the citizenship journey by heading down south for a few days to a week. Places like Pemberton and Nannup are at their best in winter, chalet accommodation with log fires and gorgeous bush walks. Or Margaret River or Busselton, the former a bit more 'up market' than the latter, but both offer lovely beaches and nice cafes where you can sit for a couple of hours with a good coffee and a book.

I quite liked the Pinnacles! I've got a few days planned at Rottnest as I haven't been and I definitely like the sound of Nannup and Pemberton for some walking, wine by the fire action.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you're going to apply for your Aussie Passport in the two weeks. Be a bit of a pain from Fiji possibly and you don't want hassle when you try and come back in again.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Presumably you're going to apply for your Aussie Passport in the two weeks. Be a bit of a pain from Fiji possibly and you don't want hassle when you try and come back in again.
Can I re-enter Australia with my UK one once I am a citizen? I wasn't planning on hanging around until it arrives.....
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I quite liked the Pinnacles! I've got a few days planned at Rottnest as I haven't been and I definitely like the sound of Nannup and Pemberton for some walking, wine by the fire action.
I love the area around Pemberton. Last time, we stayed at this place and it was superb, food, walks, scenery ... http://www.karrivalleyresort.com.au/

If you get the opportunity to stop in Mandurah there is some interesting wildlife.
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for my last 2 weeks in Perth-odds-20.jpg  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Can I re-enter Australia with my UK one once I am a citizen? I wasn't planning on hanging around until it arrives.....
No. You won't have a visa once you become a citizen.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope sorry. You should be able to get a fast turnround one which can be issued in 48 hours though. You 'can' get back in or more specifically I did but only because I was leaving the country about 30 hours after getting Citizenship and coming back a week later so I was able to carry my UK passport and a certified copy of my Certificate and some sweet talking at Passport Control. That was six years ago and obviously unusual circumstances which won't be applying to you.

Just had a quick look and I think you'll have to do the 48 hour thing because I'm fairly sure you can't get a new passport online, you can only renew them online and AHC Fiji don't issue passports from what I can see.

Good luck with the ceremony and enjoy Fiji. Awesome place but I think I'd get bored there longterm, will you be able to work?
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nope sorry. You should be able to get a fast turnround one which can be issued in 48 hours though. You 'can' get back in or more specifically I did but only because I was leaving the country about 30 hours after getting Citizenship and coming back a week later so I was able to carry my UK passport and a certified copy of my Certificate and some sweet talking at Passport Control. That was six years ago and obviously unusual circumstances which won't be applying to you.

Just had a quick look and I think you'll have to do the 48 hour thing because I'm fairly sure you can't get a new passport online, you can only renew them online and AHC Fiji don't issue passports from what I can see.

Good luck with the ceremony and enjoy Fiji. Awesome place but I think I'd get bored there longterm, will you be able to work?
I don't intend to come back to Australia at all really. I just thought I'd get the citizenship as I'm entitled and who knows one day....

Fiji's lovely. We'll be cruising around on our boat during winter and then going to the south of France for the southern hemisphere summer - where the fluffy cats are going to live!! I can't imagine getting bored in Fiji. There's 300 islands, I'm learning Fijian and we've got a massive number of reefs and dive sites to visit - and avoid (when on the boat!!)
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't intend to come back to Australia at all really. I just thought I'd get the citizenship as I'm entitled and who knows one day....

Fiji's lovely. We'll be cruising around on our boat during winter and then going to the south of France for the southern hemisphere summer - where the fluffy cats are going to live!! I can't imagine getting bored in Fiji. There's 300 islands, I'm learning Fijian and we've got a massive number of reefs and dive sites to visit - and avoid (when on the boat!!)
Can I have your life please? Sounds very pleasant.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz
Can I have your life please? Sounds very pleasant.
Ha ha - thank you!! Ironically - I'm actually living a very cheap life!!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Welllllll in that case....
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Re the Pinnacles - told you I have no soul

I see from other posts that you might need to hang around in Oz to get your passport - now you have a perfect excuse to go down South A lot of places have specials for winter, have a scout around!

p.s. what Beoz said about your life
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
I love the area around Pemberton. Last time, we stayed at this place and it was superb, food, walks, scenery ... http://www.karrivalleyresort.com.au/

If you get the opportunity to stop in Mandurah there is some interesting wildlife.
Been there a few times, it's my favourite place down south.