Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)

Wikiposts

Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)

Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)

Can't beat a mongrel for loyalty, and health.

We had a beautiful X-bred whippet/beagle ....she was a rescue dog...so maybe that had something to do with the loyalty.

She was gorgeous.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Thanks very much. A breeder is the way to go I think. We really want to have a good idea of what sort of termperament it will have and the size etc.

Very much appreciated.

How are you such a knowledge on this Mrs D? Do you work with dogs? You certainly seem to know your stuff.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Hi Rach, just many many years of experience, when I was much younger I trained working kelpies on a sheep & cattle property I lived on & that got me interested in training. Later on I got hooked on obedience training & trialling & did alot of competition obedience & became a senior instructor at my local obedience dog club.

I love dogs, can be totally obsessed by them at times .
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

The puppy on the left is mine playing with her brother.
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)-im__0445-small-.jpg  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:01 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter

OMG that is just the cutest picture in the world! I want one!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:02 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bernese Mountain dogs are lovely, however they are very large dogs & also most are quite active as they were bred as herding dogs from memory, not usually the sort of thing you would come home with instead of a staffie sized dog .

She looks gorgeous, how old is she now DH?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:03 am
Account Closed

You've opened a Pandora's Box here! I'm going to be PM ing you everyday with new photos of Emma. hehe.

They are really great dogs and I highly recommend them.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:13 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

You've opened a Pandora's Box here! I'm going to be PM ing you everyday with new photos of Emma. hehe.

They are really great dogs and I highly recommend them.
LOL - bring them on!! I'll be happy to see them!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:15 am
Rocket Scientist

*cough* you do realise that they grow to 70cm tall & weigh up to 50kgs, dont you? LOL

Read about them HERE
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
*cough* you do realise that they grow to 70cm tall & weigh up to 50kgs, dont you? LOL

Read about them HERE
Dont worry Mrs D! They're not on my list of 'can have' - but they are on my list of 'please, please' please can I have one'!!!!

Golden Retriever is top of my list at the moment (they came up on the site you steered me too) - what do you reckon?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Bernese Mountain dogs are lovely, however they are very large dogs & also most are quite active as they were bred as herding dogs from memory, not usually the sort of thing you would come home with instead of a staffie sized dog .

She looks gorgeous, how old is she now DH?
No, they aren't herders they were bred to pull Swiss cheese carts apparently. They aren't difficult to keep up with at all. We take Emma to the park twice a day (admittedly sometimes only once) and she's really happy just to sleep in between. If she has a big run around the park she'll collapse for hours as they were bred for strength not stamina.

The only problem that we had with her was that she had a few fear issues, which really was our fault. We didn't socialize her well with people and babied her too much. She never fear bit but would cower when people went to pat her. She's grown out of it now. Besides that she didn't destroy our furniture, soil the house etc. She's been perfect.

She's 18 months now and still very cute.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Read about them HERE
I don't recognize most of those characteristics in Emma to be honest. She's really gentle and plays well with other dogs and is perfect with kids. We have a cat and they play together very happily. She's never ever been hyper at all. She's only 32 kilos as well.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Dont worry Mrs D! They're not on my list of 'can have' - but they are on my list of 'please, please' please can I have one'!!!!

Golden Retriever is top of my list at the moment (they came up on the site you steered me too) - what do you reckon?
Excellent dogs, certainly not small, but very very good with kids, excellent disposition & generally suitable for a family. Only downsides are that, as a larger breed, they are susceptible to hip dysplasia so make sure that you choose a breeder who xrays their breeding stock & they tend to shed (like most long haired breeds), so if you are the type who is fanatical about your house being spotless then maybe they wouldnt be such a great choice.

Apart from that they are lovely dogs, very intelligent & very biddable temperament wise, so easy to train.

This is my latest addition - he's 11 weeks now, I took the first 2 the day he came home, the last one was taken on the weekend
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)-m-jonty.jpg   Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)-jonty2.jpg   Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)-jonty%4011weeks.jpg  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Recommendations for a family dog (which breed?)

Since deciding to move to Oz we promised our little girl she could have a puppy if we decided we wanted to stay - so the time has come for us to pay up!!

<tongue location="cheek">
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it. You probably wouldn't feed an entire family on a poodle, but a great Dane would be a bit much to stick on a barbecue. How about a German shepherd?
</tongue>
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:32 am

Excellent dogs, certainly not small, but very very good with kids, excellent disposition & generally suitable for a family. Only downsides are that, as a larger breed, they are susceptible to hip dysplasia so make sure that you choose a breeder who xrays their breeding stock & they tend to shed (like most long haired breeds), so if you are the type who is fanatical about your house being spotless then maybe they wouldnt be such a great choice.

Apart from that they are lovely dogs, very intelligent & very biddable temperament wise, so easy to train.

This is my latest addition - he's 11 weeks now, I took the first 2 the day he came home, the last one was taken on the weekend

Stop confusing me with all these gorgeous photos!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:37 am
Rocket Scientist

I don't recognize most of those characteristics in Emma to be honest. She's really gentle and plays well with other dogs and is perfect with kids. We have a cat and they play together very happily. She's never ever been hyper at all. She's only 32 kilos as well.
I think she must be the bottom end of the size scale then, the 50kgs were for males anyway, our german shepherd is 32 kgs too . She is certainly lovely & sounds like shes got a great temperament, did you get her over here or bring her with you from the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.