Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is this really true?

Wikiposts

Is this really true?

Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this really true?

"You should delete your browser cookies before buying airline tickets - Ticket fares go up when you’ve visited a site multiple times."

I read that this morning and wondered if anyone had experienced it?

Cheers
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this really true?

Originally Posted by jazzys
"You should delete your browser cookies before buying airline tickets - Ticket fares go up when you’ve visited a site multiple times."

Cheers
I used to wonder this myself. I did see it happen with easyjet a few years ago. Deleted the cookies and the fare went back down.

I use independent sites like kayak and skyscanner now. When I find the fare I want I then go to the airline site to book. So the price is usually stable.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:32 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
I don't think it is true as I have had problems with a site timing out and always been able to go back and find the same priced flight
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I would err on the side that it is true. It is a much reported issue here in the US that mobile phone apps will quote you higher prices for goods than regular web surfing.

Fyi, internet marketing theory suggests that the best time to offer the lowest price to a customer is the first time they see you, as in the www world the seller knows you can very easily quick away so lowest/ fair price will always win. To make sure you are always viewed as a first time customer it is worth clearing out your computers 'cache' each time before visiting a website. Its a very simple and quick process. I do it now almost by habit when logging out and logging in. Just saying....
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:17 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

It's a known issue with some sites where they assume that if you are coming back, you are looking to buy, therefore pushing the price up a bit can result in
  1. money directly onto their profit margin
  2. an incentive for you to buy now, before it goes up again.
Clearing the cookies can help, but to be honest, you don't need cookies to track users (your IP address will be stable, as will your MAC, and your browser spec.) They can also track what specific instances are being searched for - enough info there and they can track you no matter what. If you want to be worried, try this test - http://panopticlick.eff.org/

As such, they can still track you, even if you do clear cookies, and with this recent news story, they can offer you different prices depending on the information they know about you - legally. http://business.time.com/2013/03/05/...-is-traveling/

Amazon did it for a short while, before people caught on and they 'stopped'. No news on if they are just being a bit smarter nowadays, but judging by camel3 - my bet is yes.

Shop via comparison sites that don't pass on your details or take a rake off - but be aware that for the retailer, this can make a lot of difference to profit, and so they will be putting their best people on doing it.

eg break even price = $100
3% margin = $103
6% margin = $106

If they can add an extra $3 to the price, they can double their profits. Nobody is going to give up on that unless forced to.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:57 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I have wondered about other purchase sites before now... and wouldn't be surprised if this was a widespread problem.

For example, I've visited Wotif, several times and all of a sudden the dates I want are gone and there are only more expensive ones available.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Is this really true?

Cheers
I look at air fares a lot & I think this is a myth. If it were true it would be incredibly easy to prove it was happening.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I look at air fares a lot & I think this is a myth. If it were true it would be incredibly easy to prove it was happening.
I haven't seen it in Australia but I certainly did with Sleazyjet. Removed cookies and got the old fares back
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Same here! I spend a huge amount of time on various airline sites, both Aus and UK and it never affects the prices
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same here! I spend a huge amount of time on various airline sites, both Aus and UK and it never affects the prices
Me too, I research flights all the time but have never noticed anything weird happening to prices.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:37 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

is it true the ticket prices quoted are adjusted based on the country of your IP address (e.g. Australians are charged less if they book using a US IP address using their work PCs)?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
is it true the ticket prices quoted are adjusted based on the country of your IP address (e.g. Australians are charged less if they book using a US IP address using their work PCs)?
No.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:48 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
See the link I posted above - they have regularised the offering of different prices to different people. They don't need (and probably won't use) cookies to keep tabs on you - and if they can track that they are the cheapest for the flight you want, they can drift the prices up to increase their profit margin whilst remaining your preferred choice.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Clearing the cookies can help, but to be honest, you don't need cookies to track users (your IP address will be stable, as will your MAC, and your browser spec.)
All of which you could change - e.g. different computer after resetting modem (for those not on static IPs).

This article was an interesting read - basically the guy changed his motherboard and later his debit card got declined at a train station ticket machine along with other transactions before that. This was down to the device fingerprint of his computer changing due to hardware changes, so subsequent online transactions were flagged and this effected real world transactions.

Just a bit of insight on what can be checked with online payments... and could logically be extended to reflect what prices you see too without need for relying on cookies, IP or even necessarily MAC.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
See the link I posted above - they have regularised the offering of different prices to different people. They don't need (and probably won't use) cookies to keep tabs on you - and if they can track that they are the cheapest for the flight you want, they can drift the prices up to increase their profit margin whilst remaining your preferred choice.
All of which explains why the prices I've been seeing lately on BA, Qantas, Zuji and Expedia are all the same when I search, regardless of whether it is one of the work ocs (one telstra, one Optus), my own laptop or my iphone....

Not that I have the slightest interest in deciphering conspiracy theories mind you, as far as I'm concerned I've never had an issue with prices being cookied or ip'd or even hiked by 30% overnight as someone reckoned recently. Perhaps I'm just lucky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.