Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it really so odd to not drive in Australia?

Wikiposts

Is it really so odd to not drive in Australia?

Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:41 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Is it really so odd to not drive in Australia?

ok, I don't drive, without going into too much history, I could not afford it when I was younger, had lessons later on, but left the UK before I could get my licence. Now I am here in Australia, I have noticed if people ask if I drive, when I say no, they look at me weird. I don't miss having a car, I am able to go out and about my daily business taking public transport or walk everywhere. Is there anything wrong with this, or am I a retard or something?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:50 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really so odd to not drive in Australia?

Weirdo.

Seriously, I have a full UK licence but haven't used a car in my time here.

I imagine because of public transport in Melbourne that it is much more common here.

Tell someone from W.A. you don't drive & wait for the look of sheer incredulity.

Last edited by mackinnon; Jul 8th 2007 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:51 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C&R
ok, I don't drive, without going into too much history, I could not afford it when I was younger, had lessons later on, but left the UK before I could get my licence. Now I am here in Australia, I have noticed if people ask if I drive, when I say no, they look at me weird. I don't miss having a car, I am able to go out and about my daily business taking public transport or walk everywhere. Is there anything wrong with this, or am I a retard or something?
If you can do everything you need to without one then fair play to ya. I went a year or so without one (took a break from work) and got fitter and happier as a result.

A friend of mine has only just passed his test and he is 36, he does live close to a train station though.

We couldn't get by without two, sounds extravagant but logistically we just need 'em (one's family-friendly, the other isn't). Suck the yer wallet dry they will.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:57 pm
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Weirdo.

Seriously, I have a full UK licence but haven't used a car in my time here.

I imagine because of public transport in Melbourne that it is much more common here.

Tell someone from W.A. you don't drive & wait for the look of sheer incredulity.
Exactly, I have no need to drive, so why get a car? I have always managed to get by without one in the past, Melbournes public transport is great. I have a tram stop directly in front of my flat, and a train station down the road.

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If you can do everything you need to without one then fair play to ya. I went a year or so without one (took a break from work) and got fitter and happier as a result.

A friend of mine has only just passed his test and he is 36, he does live close to a train station though.

We couldn't get by without two, sounds extravagant but logistically we just need 'em (one's family-friendly, the other isn't). Suck the yer wallet dry they will.
Yes, thats another point why I don't think about driving, its the extra costs involved. The job I am up for is not well paid, and I will struggle to just pay my rent each month.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drive either
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:11 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

HOORAY!!! other people that dont drive i also dont i was at a barbie and i kid you not there was a whole dicussion on the fact i dont drive aaah!!!:curse:

I am going to get lessons after the baby is born, i have my learners permit just need to learn now im a very nervous driver so can see it taking a while!!

kezx

Last edited by kez81; Jul 8th 2007 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:26 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by kez81
HOORAH!!! other people that dont drive i also dont i was at a barbie at i kid you not there was a whole dicussion on the fact i dont drive aaah!!!:curse:

I am going to get lessons after the baby is born, i have my learners permit just need to learn now im a very nervous driver so can see it taking a while!!

kezx
I know! with all this focus on the environment you would have thought people would accept it more.

I was going to have driving lessons as soon as I got here, just so I had a licence. But now I don't think its a good idea to give my neighbour any more further ammunition to take the piss.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

It's not just if you don't drive either. We only have one car between myself and the OH as I get the train to work. When we mention this to Aussie friends they look at you as if you are mental. Its really strange, why do we need two cars when one would only be used occasionally? I'd rather use the money for more enjoyable things.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by yanH
It's not just if you don't drive either. We only have one car between myself and the OH as I get the train to work. When we mention this to Aussie friends they look at you as if you are mental. Its really strange, why do we need two cars when one would only be used occasionally? I'd rather use the money for more enjoyable things.
If the other car was a racing green (reliable) TVR Griffith that went "Bub Bub Bub" on idle then I'd make an exception
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:17 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by yanH
that's so true, when i look at the driveways along our street we're like the odd ones out with one car
i know public transport ain't perfect but for many it's a viable option that isn't used
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by gedge
that's so true, when i look at the driveways along our street we're like the odd ones out with one car
i know public transport ain't perfect but for many it's a viable option that isn't used
And when it is then the council runs out of buses ... and just try getting from one end of the Brisbane CBD to the other on foot at 5pm ... space on the pavements? ... you should be so lucky ... and those free newspaper sellers ... and the vacuum cleaners ... so expensive ... and the beer ... and the supermarkets ... and the ... and the ... <faints>
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

If you lived in Perth, you would know you "have" to be able to drive.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:52 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
And when it is then the council runs out of buses ... and just try getting from one end of the Brisbane CBD to the other on foot at 5pm ... space on the pavements? ... you should be so lucky ... and those free newspaper sellers ... and the vacuum cleaners ... so expensive ... and the beer ... and the supermarkets ... and the ... and the ... <faints>
jeez, take it easy mate
reckon more of us should be bludgers, that'll help ease the worries
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by gedge
jeez, take it easy mate
reckon more of us should be bludgers, that'll help ease the worries
'kin right, leave that debt behind and blag your way to a guilt-free life!

Let's all give in to the marketeers and advertisers, rack-up the credit cards and bugger the environment THEN we can choose to live in another country for some ill-thought-out-reason just when our bills are due.

THAT surely is the path to inner happiness.

The Delay Llama has nothing on me.

<faints, get's up, attempts to walk across the CBD during rush-hour without shouting 'look I know you are all waiting for an overcrowded bus but I'd just like to get from here to there so would you PLEASE get the **** out of my way you ignorant ****s!'>
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

If you are lucky enough to live near to good public transport that will take you where you want to go then fair play to you - there is no need to drive.
BUT an awful lot of people are not that fortunate, and without a car they would be seriously limited, to the point where it would compromise their quality of life. I'm not saying cars are the be all and end all, because they aren't. But without mine, I would be very limited as to work choices, I wouldn't be able to buy bumper value packs in the supermarket because I couldn't carry them home, and whenever I got invited somewhere I would have to check out public transport before I said yes. I'd also have to walk my dog on the same two or three routes all the time, coz I wouldn't be able to drive him out to the beach or the mountains.
I definitely wouldn't have been able to to go riding in the mountains like i did a few weeks ago and it was fab. I'd also spend time waiting for transport that was late, or not at a convenient time, getting wet in the rain or hot in the sun, listening to other people's tinny music from their headphones, crying children, etc etc etc!!
So for a lot of people if you took their cars away they would not be able to do the same things, it would take away their freedom.
It would be great if public transport was good enough that this was not the case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.