Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

the real aus,the dark side..

Wikiposts

the real aus,the dark side..

Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the real aus,the dark side..

Originally Posted by Margaret3
[

Apologies: age here is important. At 12 I would call the cops.

Bloody hell , my daughter is 12, and if this happened to a house she went to i would definately inform the police
Ummmmh... I'd be making as sure As I could bout what the little darling was telling me first...

There aren't many 12 year old kids with access to "all kinds of drugs" to offer their friends... Most parents are sensible when it comes to their own illicit use of substances, too risky to let a kid have some, or offer to anyone else... Too much chance of getting busted.... this aint beverly hills, its perf hills...

j think we need to get real .....
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ummmmh... I'd be making as sure As I could bout what the little darling was telling me first...

There aren't many 12 year old kids with access to "all kinds of drugs" to offer their friends... Most parents are sensible when it comes to their own illicit use of substances, too risky to let a kid have some, or offer to anyone else... Too much chance of getting busted.... this aint beverly hills, its perf hills...

j think we need to get real .....

true! true!, I have usually to quadruple check my 12 year olds stories, she would get me hung!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm surprised Oz is so high up on speed and e's - where are the clubs where you might want to dance all night? I dabbled in pretty much everything starting when I was a Uni student to probably 30 but mainly because I used to dance all night at Fabric and some of the other massive house venues in London. I can't imagine being high as a kite and just sitting in an empty pub listening to the ever present Bon Jovi.
outside `doofs` mate, check australiens.com.au for one near you. like been back in the late 80`s Uk

the speed thing is everywhere, work, in the surf, down the RSL.
the thing that surprised me the most about Aussie drug culture is how much they like the `goeey` and how many are into IV drug use.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I know loads of people who smoked the odd spliff, myself included. But the point I'm making is it generally happens as a one off every now and again...but should someone have an accident at work or be driving and in an accident, and found to have it in their blood then their insurance is null and void and this can be up to three months after the spliff was smoked

I aint convinced people know this or else they wouldn't bother. It's better to get rat arsed on alcohol cos at least it's out of your system sometime the next day...
Aye, it's best to know all the facts before the event ... nothing wrong with being educated about what your poison of choice is doing to you
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised Oz is so high up on speed and e's - where are the clubs where you might want to dance all night? I dabbled in pretty much everything starting when I was a Uni student to probably 30 but mainly because I used to dance all night at Fabric and some of the other massive house venues in London. I can't imagine being high as a kite and just sitting in an empty pub listening to the ever present Bon Jovi.
Oz is so high on speed and e's because cocaine costs about $400/gram. There are plenty of all night clubs in Melbourne and Sydney and in Melbourne there are some clubs that don't close.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Aye, it's best to know all the facts before the event ... nothing wrong with being educated about what your poison of choice is doing to you
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Oz is so high on speed and e's because cocaine costs about $400/gram. There are plenty of all night clubs in Melbourne and Sydney and in Melbourne there are some clubs that don't close.
All night clubs?

We struggle to get a pint after 9pm here
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:06 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Working in mental health, I've seen the tragic effects on the adolescent brain of drug use; the main culprits being THC and amphetamines (especially speed). If you start young, then your susceptibility to drug induced psychosis is greatly increased as your brain is still developing.

I work on a 36 bed unit. I reckon at least eight of our current patients are youngsters with DIP. Many go on to develop schizophrenia. I have however also seen some young people come to their senses after their first 'episode' and swear (often truthfully) never to touch drugs again.

Whilst it is true that most people can smoke dope without developing a mental illness, is it a chance you want to take? Two good friends of mine who also happen to be mental health nurses (and good ones at that) were heavy drug users in their youth. Both will admit that whilst they never became mentally ill, their brain chemistry is probably permanently altered as they have suffered significant memory loss and personality change. The physical effects of drug use are also significant: dope is full of toxins just like cigarettes. It certainly isn't 'safer'. Cocaine destroys your peripheral circulation (being a sedative) and most significantly, your cardio-vascular system can be significantly compromised. Well I could ramble on...

Having said all that, partly because of the nature of the drug itself, but also its legality, alcohol causes far more physical and mental damage to the individual than all other drugs put together. I also did elderly mental health nursing care for several years and never ceased to be astonished by how much dementia was caused or exacerbated by alcohol. Sobering thought really...
Great post. It's a shame more people aren't aware of what they're doing to their minds and bodies. I'm not a wowser. Been there, done that. But I've seen the downside from a few different angles and it's ugly.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:13 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

All night clubs?

But there's no one in them as everyone in Australia goes to bed before 9pm (allegedly)
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:16 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

All night clubs?

Cairns stays open pretty late in a desperate grasp for that last tourist dollar but there isn't a sniff of a decent club. When we lived in Sydney (the Rocks) we couldn't get a drink anywhere after 10.30pm on week nights! I miss the nightlife of London
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:23 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns stays open pretty late in a desperate grasp for that last tourist dollar but there isn't a sniff of a decent club. When we lived in Sydney (the Rocks) we couldn't get a drink anywhere after 10.30pm on week nights! I miss the nightlife of London
We couldn't even get dessert after our meal in a restaurant at 9.45 on a Friday night recently... kitchen closed
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:30 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
We couldn't even get dessert after our meal in a restaurant at 9.45 on a Friday night recently... kitchen closed
I imagine their cash register was still as open as a Reeperbarn whore?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow....couldn't get a drink anywhere after 10.30pm in Sydney on a weeknight? Who would have thought that little Brisbane has all these weeknight clubs open and Sydney with 4.5 million has none...when I used to go out in Sydney decades ago they had clubs pumping all week and all night....funny they have all disappeared

Or did you just mean the few old tourists pubs around the rocks area were shut?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Wow....couldn't get a drink anywhere after 10.30pm in Sydney on a weeknight? Who would have thought that little Brisbane has all these weeknight clubs open and Sydney with 4.5 million has none...when I used to go out in Sydney decades ago they had clubs pumping all week and all night....funny they have all disappeared

In my backpacking days in Sydney I never had a problem ever getting a drink - no matter what time it was.

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 13th 2011 at 1:40 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01

We've driven around in cabs seeking any open establishments in Sydney - in fact did the same only recently seeing some mates from London - nowt open. Even down Kings Cross those grotty places were closed up at 11.00 pm. It's a fact! Happened about 3 weeks ago - not decades ago.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 13th 2011 at 1:17 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.