Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Re-training as social worker down under

Wikiposts

Re-training as social worker down under

Old May 11th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all
Default Re-training as social worker down under

I am thinking of re-training when we finally get down under.

I currently run a business in supplying precision tools, I really dont want to work in another office and dont want the financial pressure of starting up on my own in OZ.

When I first left school I wanted to work with children and did for a few years, I have always regretted not taking it further. So with our life changing decsion to migrate to OZ I thought I would seize the opportunity to re-train and get qualified as a social worker.

Does anyone know what would be the best course to do or can i do on the job training???
Old May 11th 2008, 10:53 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-training as social worker down under

As a social worker in Aus? Well in NSW you need a 4 yr degree preferably from a small band of select Uni's for government department jobs. Even NGO's usually prefer the 4 year degree. Built in to that degree is at least 2 job placements. Unfortunatly you do need the quals before you "begin" as such. You cant ,say, join an organisation and do the degree as you work as social worker (this is for NSW). You could always do some voluntary work OR such but before being employed as a SW you need the degree.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eve209
I am thinking of re-training when we finally get down under.

I currently run a business in supplying precision tools, I really dont want to work in another office and dont want the financial pressure of starting up on my own in OZ.

When I first left school I wanted to work with children and did for a few years, I have always regretted not taking it further. So with our life changing decsion to migrate to OZ I thought I would seize the opportunity to re-train and get qualified as a social worker.

Does anyone know what would be the best course to do or can i do on the job training???
Thought this might help.....
http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...RelatedCourses
Old May 13th 2008, 2:27 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I would make 2 points....

Firstly my niece recently commenced a 4 yr full time degree at UWA as this was her choosed vocation. I| guess the 4yr degree is standard here as it seems the same in NSW.

Despite her passion she found the course VERY technical and simply too much (she's a bright girl too)

Secondly the social fabric in Aus and the values are very different to UK. This could be a big step into the unknown.

When new, |I think stay in your comfort zone. Theres enought to deal with.