British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Random jelly question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/random-jelly-question-813660/)

rosscov1970 Oct 30th 2013 7:05 am

Random jelly question

Does anyone know if you can buy blocks of pre-set jelly cubes as opposed to crystals, over here in Aus, like you can in the UK? :)

macy Oct 30th 2013 7:10 am

Re: Random jelly question

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 10968381)
Does anyone know if you can buy blocks of pre-set jelly cubes as opposed to crystals, over here in Aus, like you can in the UK? :)

I don't think you can, been looking for 9 years...used to love sneaking one of those blocks out the pantry when nobody was looking when I was younger...

rosscov1970 Oct 30th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by macy (Post 10968385)
I don't think you can, been looking for 9 years...used to love sneaking one of those blocks out the pantry when nobody was looking when I was younger...

Thought as much, have never seen any either but was hoping they might have sneaked on the market somewhere. I used to love eating it raw too, bit of a treat back in the day...:D

Mummy3 Oct 30th 2013 10:57 am

Ah yes a jelly cube, was always a great and my mum would say it would help my nails grow...

Pollyana Oct 30th 2013 11:39 am

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 10968381)

Only in the British shops unfortunately :(

eddie007 Oct 30th 2013 12:08 pm

English shop on the foreshore....

I have 3 in my cupboard still from my trip to the uk in June

rosscov1970 Oct 30th 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10968687)

Hadn't thought of that, suppose that puts them in the luxury goods bracket now! :frown:

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10968751)
English shop on the foreshore....

I have 3 in my cupboard still from my trip to the uk in June

I think the round trip from Adelaide would definitely elevate jelly from council house status to a dessert for the nouveau riche.

eddie007 Oct 30th 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 10968857)
Hadn't thought of that, suppose that puts them in the luxury goods bracket now! :frown:

I think the round trip from Adelaide would definitely elevate jelly from council house status to a dessert for the nouveau riche.

Not pudding? For the upper echelons fallen on hard times?
:sneaky:

bitzenpces Oct 30th 2013 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10968687)

You can buy it in the Aussie shops here. I never buy the crystals, doesn't seem quite right somehow:o. I've also got some jelly cubes lurking in my pantry, that if my youngest hasn't sneaked in and chomped on it:frown:.

Pollyana Oct 30th 2013 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by bitzenpces (Post 10969334)
You can buy it in the Aussie shops here. I never buy the crystals, doesn't seem quite right somehow:o. I've also got some jelly cubes lurking in my pantry, that if my youngest hasn't sneaked in and chomped on it:frown:.

Which supermarket in which State? I've not managed to get it in Brisbane except once in Aldi when they had a British week on. Be great if I could track some down at normal prices :)

carolinephillips Oct 30th 2013 8:19 pm

MMMMMMmmmmmm..........

Loved eating jelly cubes- my mum said my nails would grow- an old wife's tale, or is there some truth in it?? My nails used to be long and strong, but here in Aus they are short and brittle.

Alfresco Oct 30th 2013 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10969390)
Which supermarket in which State? I've not managed to get it in Brisbane except once in Aldi when they had a British week on. Be great if I could track some down at normal prices :)

You can bring some back surely?

bitzenpces Oct 31st 2013 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10969390)

Would you like me to post some over? British foods and other items are more readily available here now in places like IGA and Woolworths. I have recently been buying Heinz Cream of Tomato soup and other types. Where else but in Little Britain, otherwise known as the Wild West:sneaky:.

Pollyana Oct 31st 2013 12:13 am

Originally Posted by bitzenpces (Post 10969903)
Would you like me to post some over? British foods and other items are more readily available here now in places like IGA and Woolworths. I have recently been buying Heinz Cream of Tomato soup and other types. Where else but in Little Britain, otherwise known as the Wild West:sneaky:.

:lol: Far more civilised than Brisbane!
Thanks heaps for the offer, but I'm actually in the UK at present and jelly is one of the things I have stocked up on :)

Not sure where the OP is based though, which is why I asked which shops are now stocking the cubes :)

old.sparkles Oct 31st 2013 12:43 am

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 10968857)

rosscov - if you're in Adelaide I can get my DD to bring some over for you - she gets here early Dec :)