Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rail is a dirty word

Rail is a dirty word

Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rail is a dirty word

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...980e84c5dcb340

Not really sure what the issue is with rail in this country. Sure there's rail projects, Melbourne's Metro, Sydney's ummm ..... yeah all of them, but here's a goody, new airport, no rail.

I've been banging on about this for a while, where's the fricken medium speed rail between the regional cities. Sydney Newcastle. Melbourne and Ballarat anyone? Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The slow speed stuff just doesn't cut it.

Instead they want a high speed rail line between Sydney and Melbourne - WTF. Who wants to travel from 7 hours when you can already be there in 4. 3 on a good run.

Then there's in inland rail.

I'm longing for the day I can get off at Melbourne Airport and get a bloody train into the city. That freeway is bloody awful, and boring to boot.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rail is a dirty word

Originally Posted by Beoz
Badgerys Creek airport gets go-ahead

Not really sure what the issue is with rail in this country. Sure there's rail projects, Melbourne's Metro, Sydney's ummm ..... yeah all of them, but here's a goody, new airport, no rail.

I've been banging on about this for a while, where's the fricken medium speed rail between the regional cities. Sydney Newcastle. Melbourne and Ballarat anyone? Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The slow speed stuff just doesn't cut it.

Instead they want a high speed rail line between Sydney and Melbourne - WTF. Who wants to travel from 7 hours when you can already be there in 4. 3 on a good run.

Then there's in inland rail.

I'm longing for the day I can get off at Melbourne Airport and get a bloody train into the city. That freeway is bloody awful, and boring to boot.
Hey, whadda ya know. I don't agree with you

50km west
Oh, well transport isn't an issue then, is it?

As I say with Melbourne, a conventional rail link doesn't make sense. The cost, coupled with the pace and the 'last mile' issue makes conventional rail a bad match with either Melbourne or Sydney's needs. I personally think automated vehicles coupled with a lane set aside for them is a much more cost effective solution that actually goes where you want to go.

If you are going to do rail, then using the rail link as a prototype of a hyperloop connection, and the first stage of a Melbourne<>Canberra<> Sydney connection is probably one of the few viable cases (since Hyperloop would do Melbourne<>Sydney in 55mins, less all up than the plane). You can also link it up with the linear city idea.

Of course, automated vehicles are also the most immediate way of solving the problem, since they will be here before any other potential solution.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hey, whadda ya know. I don't agree with you

Oh, well transport isn't an issue then, is it?

As I say with Melbourne, a conventional rail link doesn't make sense. The cost, coupled with the pace and the 'last mile' issue makes conventional rail a bad match with either Melbourne or Sydney's needs. I personally think automated vehicles coupled with a lane set aside for them is a much more cost effective solution that actually goes where you want to go.
The last mile? You mean a tunnel. You can knock out a tunnel easily these days. Have a word with your Melbourne Metro boys. And that then sorts out your last mile issue which would even plague your automated vehicle idea, assuming they will be sharing that same boring freeway.

If you are going to do rail, then using the rail link as a prototype of a hyperloop connection, and the first stage of a Melbourne<>Canberra<> Sydney connection is probably one of the few viable cases (since Hyperloop would do Melbourne<>Sydney in 55mins, less all up than the plane). You can also link it up with the linear city idea.
That would be cool. A 800 km/h fast train. That's more than double the Shanghai Maglev.

Of course, automated vehicles are also the most immediate way of solving the problem, since they will be here before any other potential solution.
OK
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The last mile? You mean a tunnel. You can knock out a tunnel easily these days. Have a word with your Melbourne Metro boys. And that then sorts out your last mile issue which would even plague your automated vehicle idea, assuming they will be sharing that same boring freeway.
No, more that the airport rail link dumps you at somewhere like Southern Cross. You then need to get from there to your hotel/destination/etc. often with a bag. It doesn't do the whole job - whereas an autonomous vehicle would deliver you to the door.

That would be cool. A 800 km/h fast train. That's more than double the Shanghai Maglev.
Is Hyperloop A Better Option Than High Speed Rail For Australia? | Lifehacker Australia

OK
No matter what they did, we're talking 2030 before something could be in place. And even you accept that autonomous vehicles are going to be here before that.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, more that the airport rail link dumps you at somewhere like Southern Cross. You then need to get from there to your hotel/destination/etc. often with a bag. It doesn't do the whole job - whereas an autonomous vehicle would deliver you to the door.

Is Hyperloop A Better Option Than High Speed Rail For Australia? | Lifehacker Australia

No matter what they did, we're talking 2030 before something could be in place. And even you accept that autonomous vehicles are going to be here before that.
Errr. Maybe its my luck with Melbourne taxi drivers during rush hour but I never plan to be anywhere in Melbourne at a fixed time in the morning. Somewhere between 9-10 when travelling from the airport. There's either a disaster on that freeway or somewhere in town

Let me guess. George Jetson and his family will be the Melbourne norm by 2025 and there will be no traffic issues in the autonomous vehicle world?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The slow speed stuff just doesn't cut it.
There's a fast train from GC to Brisbane. It cuts out, oh at least three stops! Does my head in, glad I don't use it very often.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Even little old Perth is getting an airport rail link - local fares/travel card too
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There's a fast train from GC to Brisbane. It cuts out, oh at least three stops! Does my head in, glad I don't use it very often.
Google is great. Type Brisbane to Gold Coast. Car 59 mins. Train 1 hour 20

Melbourne Geelong. Car 1 hour 10. Train 1 hour 35.

This is best

Sydney to Newcastle. Car 2 hours. Train 3 hours and 9 mins. WTF.

Seriously though. There should be no excuse for travelling between regional cities quicker in a car.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Even little old Perth is getting an airport rail link - local fares/travel card too
Melbourne left behind again. First stadiums, now airport transport.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne left behind again. First stadiums, now airport transport.
and mainly by tunnel ( who is paying for it since we are cap in hand ! )

Railway Route Map
Old Dec 12th 2016, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mulben
and mainly by tunnel ( who is paying for it since we are cap in hand ! )

Railway Route Map
Looks good. Tunnels are good.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Has the link really been confirmed at last, Zulu? It was first discussed about 20 years ago, and successive state governments have made all kinds of promises - hooray if it's finally happening, I'd given up.

Speaking of rail, I made my first UK rail trip a few weeks ago. East Midland train from Liverpool Lime Street to Peterborough. It was 132 pounds for 2 returns. I stuffed up the time of the train back and missed it. Virgin charged me another 132 pounds for 2 one-way tickets! It was a very expensive few days
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Has the link really been confirmed at last, Zulu? It was first discussed about 20 years ago, and successive state governments have made all kinds of promises - hooray if it's finally happening, I'd given up.

Speaking of rail, I made my first UK rail trip a few weeks ago. East Midland train from Liverpool Lime Street to Peterborough. It was 132 pounds for 2 returns. I stuffed up the time of the train back and missed it. Virgin charged me another 132 pounds for 2 one-way tickets! It was a very expensive few days
British rail prices are criminal, but at least you have a choice.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

British rail prices are criminal, but at least you have a choice.
You're right, but it was my sister and I and I wanted to get there the quickest way I could. There were other routes I could have taken but they necessitated at least one change, most were two changes - we're both a bit 'direction challenged' so would have been certain to get lost

As it was it was a 4 hour journey, I could have been in London in less time! More research needed for next time. With what that weekend trip cost, we could have had 5 days in Amsterdam, air and good hotel included. Or a week in Egypt, but that was never going to happen!
Old Dec 12th 2016, 11:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Getting decent prices on UK rail is an exercise in how much effort and advanced notice you are prepared to put in. If you spend time, a long way in advance, you can usually get a reasonable price (eg you could probably get it for £50). Wait till the last minute and just go for what you think is the sensible option (a return ticket) and they shaft you.

I'm sure someone patted themselves on the back for that one, but it just makes the train the most hassle option, particularly if there's more than one travelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.