Wikiposts

Radio 4 in my car

Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:08 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Radio 4 in my car

Im so happy about this I thought I should share

With my new spangly Iphone I got an app that plays digital radio

Then I bought an FM transmitter/charger/aux cable for my car->Iphone

Now when I drive home at a reasonable hour from work I can listen to the Today program live from Londinium, or even chris evans on radio 2 if I feel the mood compel me and it comes out my radio speakers in my car. just like in blighty.

I was in tears of joy this morning listening to the shipping forecast and farming today at 3pm on the school run....

It used 15meg in a 30minute streaming over 3g. Not much.

This is the nail in the coffin for my blackberry, Im switching to iphone. I can now drive to & from work or on school run and not listen to adverts promising longer lasting sex. Now I need to find out if Rabbi Lionel Blue has passed to the other side in the intervening 5yrs since I last heard him on thought for the day.... Shalom Goyems
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:26 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radio 4 in my car

Originally Posted by spalen
Im so happy about this I thought I should share

With my new spangly Iphone I got an app that plays digital radio

Then I bought an FM transmitter/charger/aux cable for my car->Iphone

Now when I drive home at a reasonable hour from work I can listen to the Today program live from Londinium, or even chris evans on radio 2 if I feel the mood compel me and it comes out my radio speakers in my car. just like in blighty.

I was in tears of joy this morning listening to the shipping forecast and farming today at 3pm on the school run....

It used 15meg in a 30minute streaming over 3g. Not much.

This is the nail in the coffin for my blackberry, Im switching to iphone. I can now drive to & from work or on school run and not listen to adverts promising longer lasting sex. Now I need to find out if Rabbi Lionel Blue has passed to the other side in the intervening 5yrs since I last heard him on thought for the day.... Shalom Goyems
OK, I dont really understand all the geeky stuff you have spouted, but I am sooooo happy for you.

Why?

Because today I did my ironing listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon

Radio here is quite crappy and having enough download to listen to decent radio has made my day, week, month, heck even my year.

So Spalen, enjoy xx
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved here I was feeling homesick one day so I had radio two on.It was great.Then the news came on and the weather report.It said to expect at least two inches of snow for the following day..Even though it was a very hot day here in Perth the kids got very excited at the prospect of snow.I quickly shut down radio two.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My OH would love to get radio4 in his car, but doesn't have an iphone. Not telling him about this, as it will be an excuse to get one!! (Birthday coming up, but they are too expensive.)
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Middle-of-the night Radio One often gets me through the workday - how cool, still, is Annie Nightingale?

The Geek doesn't listen live but downloads a ton of stuff from Radio 4 and plays it through his iPhone. I often get in the car on an evening to the sounds of The Archers.

(Note: The Geek is not yet forty.)
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:02 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I often get in the car on an evening to the sounds of The Archers.

I am only just 40... :-( -this is adding to the 4gig of "just a minute" going back to 1960 that is in my cd player haha

This morning's selection : Book at bedtime ( a russian book "the three stations "about murder in moscow ) then the news , and then a 30 minute program about space travel and funding of it ......

All this instead of one of the options of which group of three twats (2boy+1girl) do I want to listen harp on about crap like "please phone in if you think mobile phone manners are worse now" or "the worst fing I dun on a drunken night out " or news about some 16yr old who lied and then was not lying but now was about boffing a player manager I had previously never heard of nor care about , oh and longer lasting sex.

I think other phones will do this too - not just iphone - anything that can stream digital radio from t'internet basically should do it.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Middle-of-the night Radio One often gets me through the workday - how cool, still, is Annie Nightingale?

The Geek doesn't listen live but downloads a ton of stuff from Radio 4 and plays it through his iPhone. I often get in the car on an evening to the sounds of The Archers.

There was a documentary about Annie Nightingale on UKNova a while ago 'Bird On The Wireless', it's worth a watch.

Originally Posted by spalen
I am only just 40... :-( -this is adding to the 4gig of "just a minute" going back to 1960 that is in my cd player haha

This morning's selection : Book at bedtime ( a russian book "the three stations "about murder in moscow ) then the news , and then a 30 minute program about space travel and funding of it ......

All this instead of one of the options of which group of three twats (2boy+1girl) do I want to listen harp on about crap like "please phone in if you think mobile phone manners are worse now" or "the worst fing I dun on a drunken night out " or news about some 16yr old who lied and then was not lying but now was about boffing a player manager I had previously never heard of nor care about , oh and longer lasting sex.

I think other phones will do this too - not just iphone - anything that can stream digital radio from t'internet basically should do it.
I use the TuneIn app on my iPod, it's great ... exactly the kind of technology I like, it just works ... you can record too

I have spent many a happy hour listening to obscure blues ...

I hit 40 in July ... must be a trend ...