Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Racism rife in finance and IT hiring policies in Australia

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Excellent news. Anything that gives me an edge is to be congratulated.

I'll let the blacks, chinks, wogs, and slopes in the rest of the team know, that they need to know their place.
Charming
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itxrd
Charming
It's called sarcasm pal.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see the point to these articles. Racism exists, its not going away and it is everywhere. I think racism is more of an issue at work than at the recruitment stage. As has been said, many people would be rejected based on their grasp on the english language. This could be seen as racism by, ironically, ignorant people. But its a genuine reason for not hiring someone. Hence why I had to sit, fail, sit and finally pass the IELTS exam. I'm Irish and can speak english very well. Some people escaped having to do the IELTS exam because of how they acquired their points for their visa. Fine, its sometimes acceptable for poor english speakers to be successful in job applications in Australia. But it should be recognized as a problem also, as much as me not having a qualification to go with my experience (or vice versa).

People not getting employed based on their skin colour is wrong but lets see the proof that this actually happens. Not going to be ignorant and say it doesnt, but how much of a problem is it, exactly? There is absolutely no way of knowing, making this article pointless.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What's your point? What's your opinion? Please don't just post a link and walk away, it's kind of rude and could be construed as trollism .
having read some of the posters previous posts i suspect your not far out there
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:52 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it cuz I is from Staines.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a bad experience only this week with an Indian engineer who's English wasa woeful.

We turned up to carry out an inspection and he was the clients rep. The set up for what we were testing was not as it should have been (in fact far from it) but he said it would suffice and gave us the verbal to carry on. When we finished the testing I went back to the office and emailed him the results and asked if he was happy.

He replied to me and all and sundry that the testing was not alright and that we've basically wasted our time with it and would have to do this all again. This testing probably cost about $30,000 which now needs to be spent again.

When I telephoned him and told him he'd given me the go ahead he claimed that I must not have understood his accent properly. He's been over here for about 30 years and no one can understand more than half a sentance he says at a time.

In future I'm not going to talk to him even though we share an office, everything will be by email.

Keel
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Personally I wouldn't take anyone fresh out of university as I am not interested in that profile.

For the roles I recruit for, which require experience, an accounting degree won't cut it without work experience to back it up and there is this high proportion of Asians with qualifications but nothing to back it up. I am not interested in someone just because they can pass exams.

Nevertheless as my earlier post indicated, there are far more Asian than Australians in my finance team anyway.
This is interesting as being married to the 'ultimate Korean over achiever anything less than a D or HD is the express elevator from the nearest tall building', aka Mrs TB She and I have witnessed this syndrome in Oz and the UK.

Her story is a bit different though and synchs with what you're saying. She went to college in Seoul but was also working for Hamni Pharm to get valuable experience.

Qualified for PR to Oz on skills, then when we met in 2002 (well we met a couple of years earlier but we started going out in 02) she was going to TAFE to get enough credits to enter into an Mac Uni as the Oz system wouldn't recognise her Korean credits. She did this part time as she worked full time for Big Larry (aka Oracle!). Then she got into Uni, again part time and only needed to do 16 of the 24 units, still working for Oracle until made redundant.

She finished her degree (top 2.7 % in Oz or something like that), all the while working for blue chip companies, mostly international, multi currency management accounting and some financial accounting and recons.

She's a CPA member now. The job she has in the UK is with an extremely fussy, professional and ultra high profile brand that is seen all over the world for 9mths of the year(if you know where we live you could work probably it out). She was offered the job not only on her experience, but her ability to answer very technical accounting questions at interviews.

When we met in Syd, she was sharing a flat with two girls from HK who were doing the student to PR visa route, both passed eventually, neither had any experience, and I know one is working in AR, which shouldn't be the case with an accounting degree, but as you say, without experience it's hopeless.

So Mrs TB now has a job in the UK which dozens were interviewed for and did not get. She has the least sounding western name you can think of and is not even ILR (PR) yet in the UK, but she got it based on what she can do. And she didn't learn how to do that at Uni, it's at the coal face so to speak.

I think there is some racism in Oz, especially with CV checking, and I've done my own share of hiring and firing. But I also think there can be an inherent bias from the candidate's side to over rely on quals and under rely on experience.

One thing that always impresses employers when Mrs TB gets an interview is the fact that she did all of her study part time whilst working full time. It's a longer road for sure but opens a lot more doors come crunch time as you end up with the best of both.

(btw, Bermudashorts, if we do return to Oz, give her a ring will ya? )

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 24th 2012 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:28 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of Indians these days changing their name by deed poll to names like
John , Tony , Harry etc

I reckon it may be for this reason
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

From my experience of dealing with few IT companies in Melbourne, I have not seen any racism towards anyone. Cannot speak of other states but Victoria and Melburnians are certainly non-racist and welcoming!

Hope the other states learn from Melbourne and cure this cancer of racism.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
From my experience of dealing with few IT companies in Melbourne, I have not seen any racism towards anyone. Cannot speak of other states but Victoria and Melburnians are certainly non-racist and welcoming!

Yeah they should all follow India's great example.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Probably because if they don't hire Indians there will be no-one left. From what I've seen Melbourne is full of Indians
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I despise racism and detest racism but I w up in Victoria and saw countless examples of racism. I'm sorry but you comment is an incredible generalization and appears to have no basis in fact. My experience is that racism occurs in every place in every country.

Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I despise racism and detest racism but I w up in Victoria and saw countless examples of racism. I'm sorry but you comment is an incredible generalization and appears to have no basis in fact. My experience is that racism occurs in every place in every country.
Itxrd is saying some interesting things here. Which are slightly contrary to other UK raised (Anglo) Indians I know. Firstly Itxrd are you really upset by the term "Curry Muncher" ? Or do you see it as my Indian mates here do in the same light as Brits being called a "Pom" ?

I'd say Itxrd background is exactly the same as my fellow Palace + Victory supporter "Raj" Who reckons there is definitely more racism in the UK than here. Hopefully he will be along in a while.

BTW I think you'll find that that "Curry Munchers" restaurant is a Indian owned franchised restaurant.... There are at least 3 in Melbourne.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 27th 2012 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Maybe:

Mpgrewal is an Indian, and based on my experiences, he is right.
Melbourne IT companies are chokkas with Indians and Asians. I know because I have worked with them and been hired by them - and furthermore, been on teams where I am the only Anglo.

Infact, I solemnly declare that there is often racism and exclusion against Anglos.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 28th 2012 at 5:34 am.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that having lived in Victoria for many years it seems bizarre to say there is no racism in Melbourne or Victoria.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Mpgrewal is an Indian, and based on my experiences, he is right.
Melbourne IT companies are chokkas with Indians and Asians. I know because I have worked with them and been hired by them - and furthermore, been on teams where I am the only Anglo.

Infact, I solemnly declare that there is often racism and exclusion against Anglos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.