Racism - Australia

Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:55 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Racism - Australia

I'm confused
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
To clarify. By Prisoners of Mother England they don't mean Prisoners FROM Mother England as most Poms seem to interpret it. It means Prisoners OF Mother England in the same vein as Prisoner of Her Majesty.

It's a joke implying that the Poms are stuck in the prison called England instead of being free in Aus.

I think some Poms are too caught up with the Aussies are convicts thing to spot the joke.

Christ - well that's how I've always seen it!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
Yeah, i got that bit, which is quite funny (in an Irish joke/Bernard Manning kind of way), but would be even funnier if Asians had vertical mouths....which they, er, don't.
The vertical slot being the nose?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

To clarify. By Prisoners of Mother England they don't mean Prisoners FROM Mother England as most Poms seem to interpret it. It means Prisoners OF Mother England in the same vein as Prisoner of Her Majesty.

It's a joke implying that the Poms are stuck in the prison called England instead of being free in Aus.

I think some Poms are too caught up with the Aussies are convicts thing to spot the joke.

To be honest, that makes perfect sense to me. However in the UK I never felt like a prisoner, the guards were really nice and we were allowed to go out and play for 30 mins a day
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:03 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

the whole prisoner thing as the origin of "Pom" doesn't seem to be taken seriously by (ahem) experts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna..._British#Pommy
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:46 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ha ha!!! Oh yeah....
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting.....

I think Oz is more racist than UK generally. They do it in a mild mannered kind of way but more frequently. In UK when it does happen it is more extreme. However I think Oz is more tolerant of poms now than it was 20 years ago. The focus now seems more upon those who are different (from caucasians).

When I first arrived here, I went back to Uni for a while and had a meeting/interview with the head of faculty, who proceeded to inform how ll the poms coming over here taking Aus jobs was intolerable! This was 1987. I was absolutely gobsmacked and couldn't believe this from someone "educated"
and felt very strange afterward having been judged on my origins.
I am frequently called pom etc but this doesn't bother me, its almost affection I think when its used. The former incident did bother me. A lot.
Old May 4th 2008, 9:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
That kinda makes sense, and clarifies why we are called POMS.

But if we were classed as Prisoners of Mother England, then we would have been sent to the antipodean penal colony.. which would be Oz.

??

Ste
But that's the joke. The Aussies are making England out to be the prison and the POMS the prisoners. Jokes don't have to be historically or factually correct. They sometime twist the truth (or history) around to make it funny. That's the way some jokes work.

Old May 4th 2008, 9:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I always think the power sockets look melancholy and shocked at the same time
Old May 4th 2008, 10:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've never understood why certain Poms complain about racism towards themselves, but feel that it is perfectly acceptable to call oriental people "Chinks".

I cringe every time I hear it over here. It's totally unacceptable Down Under, but in the UK nobody seems to care.

Anyone using that word in Australia is asking for a slap - and should get one.
Channel 9 Cricket commentary seems to think Paki is totally acceptable and nobody bats an eyelid. The only difference between racism here and in the UK is that Australians seem to be more open and vocal in their racism. Racist Brits either have a yobby racist attitude or that smug middle class superiority complex that only sublety lets people know their attitude.

Personally I only mind the use of the word pom when it is used negatively and not in jest.

The only truly anti-pommie experience I had was after the Rugby world cup. Some sore loser thought that I should be supporting the Wallabies despite not being a citizen at the time. I copped a mouthful but couldn't stop laughing at the tosser. It was a great night.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

I always think the power sockets look melancholy and shocked at the same time

This thread has made me laugh, I've never heard the power point one!!
Old May 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the joke. The Aussies are making England out to be the prison and the POMS the prisoners. Jokes don't have to be historically or factually correct. They sometime twist the truth (or history) around to make it funny. That's the way some jokes work.

I guess thats what this V.D.O Meant !!

Old May 4th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

'Pom' = Person Of Means
Old May 4th 2008, 1:14 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I guess thats what this V.D.O Meant !!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ycR_ZHw_MkA
Old May 4th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

When my Husband moved here (England) from Ireland he used to go NUTS if someone called him Paddy, he took it really offensively. I had to explain to him for a long while that it is actually not meant to be offensive and if anythng was said on friendly terms....he just likes any excuse to knock someones head off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.