British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Rabbit proof fence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rabbit-proof-fence-440752/)

jwood Apr 8th 2007 8:38 pm

Rabbit proof fence

Hi All
I watched Rabbit proof fence last night, i thought it was very good. Good for the kids to get a good idea of Australian history. I have also bought "Picnic at hanging rock" i will watch that tonight when hubby has finished watching Red Dwarf re runs.
Has anyone else seen these films (don't tell me the ending of Picnic at hanging rock though as i've not watched it yet).and what did you think of them. Also are there any other good Australian films i could watch?
Thanks Jackie

rugbymatt Apr 8th 2007 9:06 pm

Re: Rabbit proof fence

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 4615984)
Hi All
I watched Rabbit proof fence last night, i thought it was very good. Good for the kids to get a good idea of Australian history. I have also bought "Picnic at hanging rock" i will watch that tonight when hubby has finished watching Red Dwarf re runs.
Has anyone else seen these films (don't tell me the ending of Picnic at hanging rock though as i've not watched it yet).and what did you think of them. Also are there any other good Australian films i could watch?
Thanks Jackie

It is NOT a true story, just to let you know, it paints a very poor picture of Neville.

asher Apr 8th 2007 9:15 pm

Hi All
Thanks Jackie

I watched them am now reading a history of Australia some of it is very boring some very interesting. I feel that I need to know more than just the usual tourist hype if I'm going to live there. :)

Kim

Jerseygirl Apr 8th 2007 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 4616054)
I watched them am now reading a history of Australia some of it is very boring some very interesting. I feel that I need to know more than just the usual tourist hype if I'm going to live there. :)

Kim

I would have thought this thread should have been posted in the Oz forum. You probably would get a much better response.

I watched the film a few years ago...I was very disappointed in it.

walla Apr 8th 2007 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4616041)
It is NOT a true story, just to let you know, it paints a very poor picture of Neville.

And so it should, after all he was in charge during the stolen generation era....

Teliko21 Apr 8th 2007 11:39 pm

Hi All
Thanks Jackie

The Castle, The Dish and Kenny :D

CadburysFingers Apr 9th 2007 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Teliko21 (Post 4616381)
The Castle, The Dish and Kenny :D

The Castle is without doubt the best Australian film I have ever seen, didnt really enjoy Rabbit Proof Fence, but it did give a different perspective on things, and was good to see some of the real Aus.

blowfly Apr 9th 2007 5:50 am

Hi All
Thanks Jackie

I have seen Rabbit Proof fence and really enjoyed it, also Picnic at hanging Rock and I though that one was boring.I recently bought The Colony on dvd as a missed the programme on the history channel and on SBS. I really enjoyed this it takes four familes, one British, one Irish , one Australian family and an Aboriginal family and follows them over a number of weeks having to live the lives of the early settlers. The scenery was beautiful but the history about the early days was facinating.

rugbymatt Apr 9th 2007 8:02 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 4616379)
And so it should, after all he was in charge during the stolen generation era....

Facts?

walla Apr 9th 2007 8:42 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4617073)
Facts?

Facts?

He defended the policies of forced settlement, removing children from families and punishment. What facts do you want?

MJC Apr 9th 2007 8:49 am

Wolf Point, or was it wolf Creek, one or the other. Iit made me totally convinced that i would never return to Aus!!

Based on a true story, and the murderer got off and is now living in South Australia!

Grayling Apr 9th 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4617173)

Based on a true story, and the murderer got off and is now living in South Australia!

He should feel quite at home there then:rofl:

walla Apr 9th 2007 8:53 am

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4617173)
Wolf Point, or was it wolf Creek, one or the other. Iit made me totally convinced that i would never return to Aus!!

Wolf Creek.

sme Apr 9th 2007 9:05 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 4617186)
Wolf Creek.

Isn't that where you live ;) :)

rugbymatt Apr 9th 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 4617161)
Facts?

He defended the policies of forced settlement, removing children from families and punishment. What facts do you want?

There is no evidence that forcible removal ever happened, and 3 high profile court cases have defended that argument, of the 1067 admitted to the "Neville" settlement only 64 were orphan or unattended children, After he died, his mother received about 500 letters from Aborigines praising his efforts on their behalf.

If you read the book it has absolutely no reference to a forcible removal, and it was written by Doris Pilkington who I think may know more about it than both of us.

Dont misunderstand me, I love the film, love the book more and support any native claims to land rights, as any previous post I have made clearly shows, but mis-information helps no-one.