Rabbit proof fence

Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:34 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit proof fence

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah, but they are, and I bet it matters a very little amount, you know, in the grand scheme of things!
In the grand scheme of things it does matter, well maybe not to you but to Indigenous Australians it does and Canadian ones too....

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwood
Also are there any other good Australian films i could watch?
Thanks Jackie
Try and get "The Craic" (starring Jimeoin McKeown, Alan McKee) - at least you won't fall asleep watching it - I thought it was hilarious
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

There is no evidence that forcible removal ever happened, and 3 high profile court cases have defended that argument, of the 1067 admitted to the "Neville" settlement only 64 were orphan or unattended children, After he died, his mother received about 500 letters from Aborigines praising his efforts on their behalf.

If you read the book it has absolutely no reference to a forcible removal, and it was written by Doris Pilkington who I think may know more about it than both of us.

Dont misunderstand me, I love the film, love the book more and support any native claims to land rights, as any previous post I have made clearly shows, but mis-information helps no-one.
Sounds like you are re-writting history there... forced removal of Indienous children was a Australian policy to try and remove aboriginal traits and heritage. It is described in many texts, for example Sally Morgans book "My Place". I will be working with one of Doris Pilkinhgtons relatives who worked on the film... will be interesting to hear his views. There is also a very good DVD of short stories, one of which deals with forced abduction... very moving as it is told by the person affected... can't remeber the name though.

On the note of good Aussie drama which aslo had Kenneth Branagh in was "Boy in the Bush" Ran for a while in the 80s, was great but never seen it repeated.

Other Aussie films are Strictly Ballroom, Mr Reliable, Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Murials Wedding in the comedy stakes. Also Walkabout which is a very weired interpretation of the book. Japanese Story is also another great Aussie film worth watching

Cheers

Chris
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

The shiralee with Bryan Brown. This move is a drama but does give some insight as to life at that time. I love this film it is very Aussie.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:11 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Sounds like you are re-writting history there... forced removal of Indienous children was a Australian policy to try and remove aboriginal traits and heritage. It is described in many texts, for example Sally Morgans book "My Place". I will be working with one of Doris Pilkinhgtons relatives who worked on the film... will be interesting to hear his views. There is also a very good DVD of short stories, one of which deals with forced abduction... very moving as it is told by the person affected... can't remeber the name though.

On the note of good Aussie drama which aslo had Kenneth Branagh in was "Boy in the Bush" Ran for a while in the 80s, was great but never seen it repeated.

Other Aussie films are Strictly Ballroom, Mr Reliable, Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Murials Wedding in the comedy stakes. Also Walkabout which is a very weired interpretation of the book. Japanese Story is also another great Aussie film worth watching

Cheers

Chris
Have you actually read HER book?

It is very different to the film in so many ways, my info comes from that and the court cases, thats all.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

It is very different to the film in so many ways, my info comes from that and the court cases, thats all.
Hi,
I wasn't disputing that the film is a dramatised version of events or that there was some liberal license used to make it more 'interesting', i have not read the book so cannot comment on that. i was commentating on your assertion that forced abductions didn't take place, all the evidence indicates otherwise including the repeated apologies made by various politicians on behalf of their predecessors... it is not even as if we are talking about ancient history here, they didn't stop until the 1970s. the bottom line is that children were forcibly removed from their parents and given to institutions or white families to bring up as servents in an attempt to eradicate the Aboriginal heritage and gene pool... that in my mind is genocide and ranks high on the list of crimes against humanity. It would be a tradgedy if this part of Australian history was re-written as it would just imperil the building relationships between indigenous populations and the 'white Australians.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:47 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Page 1, post 15 just to jog your memory.

Tip: don't debate about things you know nothing of.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
Page 1, post 15 just to jog your memory.

Tip: don't debate about things you know nothing of.
Walla why do you think I posted on this thread?

http://www.ipe.net.au/RPFence.html

Last edited by rugbymatt; Apr 27th 2007 at 10:56 am.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:57 am
Keeping it fairly real

Walla why do you think I posted on this thread?
Because you read a book which is fine.

Then you rant on about how forced removals didn't take place, then, inexplicably go on to say in the grand scheme of things that it doesn't matter now. That's where you are dead wrong.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:02 am
Straw Man.

Because you read a book which is fine.

Then you rant on about how forced removals didn't take place, then, inexplicably go on to say in the grand scheme of things that it doesn't matter now. That's where you are dead wrong.
I know you are an intelligent person Walla, so go back and look at what my comment about it not mattering in the grand scheme of things related to.

It wasn't the facts, or the film, or the plight of natives all over the world, it was the playground attitude, not by you of "wait till Wallas friends hear about this"
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:05 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are an intelligent person Walla, so go back and look at what my comment about it not mattering in the grand scheme of things related to.

It wasn't the facts, or the film, or the plight of natives all over the world, it was the playground attitude, not by you of "wait till Wallas friends hear about this"

Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:06 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Issie
I'm trying to avoid a row here, even though Walla wanted some excitement when I originally posted on here, and you are not helping things!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:07 am
Keeping it fairly real

I know I am despite what that tart Issie reckons.

I've read the thread and to me it seems like you're denial.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:07 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to avoid a row here, even though Walla wanted some excitement when I originally posted on here, and you are not helping things!
Ooops Sorry ....are you telling me off
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:08 am

I know I am despite what that tart Issie reckons.

I've read the thread and to me it seems like you're denial.
Hey you ......Mush off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.