Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

Wikiposts

Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

I've got a mate who's just received two separate quotes of £300 for a tiling job involving two rooms. She has already purchased the tiles, so this quote is for labour and grout.

The rooms to be tiled are not large; one is an 11' x 8' (3.3 metres x 2.4 metres) study, while the other is a small bathroom which will only require 30 floor tiles (already purchased by my mate.)

I don't know enough about the UK tiling scene to know if £300 is a reasonable quote for labour on two jobs of this size, but it does sound quite high to me.

Apparently the guys are charging by the hour, rather than the square metre. Considering the size of the areas they'd be tiling, I have to ask myself what kind of hourly rate results in a bill of £300 for such a small area.

I also have to ask myself if that hourly rate is justified - but since I don't know the going rate over here, I can't be sure.

Can anyone help me out here? I'd be very much obliged if you could.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've got a mate who's just received two separate quotes of £300 for a tiling job involving two rooms. She has already purchased the tiles, so this quote is for labour and grout.

The rooms to be tiled are not large; one is an 11' x 8' (3.3 metres x 2.4 metres) study, while the other is a small bathroom which will only require 30 floor tiles (already purchased by my mate.)

I don't know enough about the UK tiling scene to know if £300 is a reasonable quote for labour on two jobs of this size, but it does sound quite high to me.

Apparently the guys are charging by the hour, rather than the square metre. Considering the size of the areas they'd be tiling, I have to ask myself what kind of hourly rate results in a bill of £300 for such a small area.

I also have to ask myself if that hourly rate is justified - but since I don't know the going rate over here, I can't be sure.

Thanks in advance.
I would do it myself but if they can't then maybe a couple more quotes would give a more accurate figure for what such a job costs.

Is it for floors or walls?

G
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

Originally Posted by Grayling
I would do it myself but if they can't then maybe a couple more quotes would give a more accurate figure for what such a job costs.

Is it for floors or walls?

G
My mate and her husband lack the necessary practical skills, and the husband is physically infirm; he walks with the aid of two sticks.

The quote is for floors only, since that's all they need.

I have suggested that they ask around for a third and fourth opinion, prefaced with something along the lines of "I've been quoted £300... can you beat that?"

I understand that price isn't everything, and you often get what you pay for... Even so, £300 for labour seems a bit steep to me.

While I have no experience of the UK tiling scene, but I do have some first-hand knowledge of tiling from my time back home in Australia (where I also have a few mates who are tilers.) On the basis of that experience, I have to say that these quotes sound suspiciously high.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My mate and her husband lack the necessary practical skills, and the husband is physically infirm; he walks with the aid of two sticks.

I have suggested that they ask around for a third and fourth opinion, prefaced with something along the lines of "I've been quoted £300... can you beat that?"

I understand that price isn't everything, and you often get what you pay for... Even so, £300 for labour seems a bit steep to me.

While I have no experience of the UK tiling scene, but I do have some first-hand knowledge of tiling from my time back home in Australia (where I also have a few mates who are tilers.) On the basis of that experience, I have to say that these quotes sound suspiciously high.
More quotes seem in order then.

I would think £150 per day not excessive but then I have no idea how long it should take a professional.

G
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Well Vash, I see it like this. As a sparks I, personally do what's called price work privately. That is, someone tells me what they want doing and I give them a price. I encourage them to get other quotes, if they so wish, but at the end of the day they either accept it or don't. Usually I get the job 'cos I don't rip people off and I've usually been recommended by someone they trust.

That should go some way to explaining how trades 'usually' go about pricing jobs but doesn't reallt tell you whether or not you've been quoted fairly.

Rule of thumb is...if you feel it's too high and suspect you're being ripped off, get another quote. Seems about right to me I've gotta say, however, a couple of points to bear in mind:

have you seen any of their other work?

do they 'seem' trustworthy?

and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL

DO NOT PART WITH ANY DOSH UP FRONT

Good luck and hope this helps

Andy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Something else to bear in mind

You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts and you usually get monkeys
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:41 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Quote for a tiling job - does this sound reasonable?

Originally Posted by Grayling
More quotes seem in order then.

I would think £150 per day not excessive but then I have no idea how long it should take a professional.

G
Thanks G. I feel the same way.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:47 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by andicee
Well Vash, I see it like this. As a sparks I, personally do what's called price work privately. That is, someone tells me what they want doing and I give them a price. I encourage them to get other quotes, if they so wish, but at the end of the day they either accept it or don't. Usually I get the job 'cos I don't rip people off and I've usually been recommended by someone they trust.

That should go some way to explaining how trades 'usually' go about pricing jobs but doesn't reallt tell you whether or not you've been quoted fairly.

Rule of thumb is...if you feel it's too high and suspect you're being ripped off, get another quote.
Indeed. I certainly don't think this is a full day's work.

Seems about right to me I've gotta say however, a couple of points to bear in mind:

have you seen any of their other work?

do they 'seem' trustworthy?
I can't comment on these, since I'm not the person who requires the work; it's my mate in Devon, who's told me about her situation. I can ask her to keep these in mind, though - so thanks for that.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL

DO NOT PART WITH ANY DOSH UP FRONT
Amen to that!

Good luck and hope this helps

Andy
Cheers.

Originally Posted by andicee
Something else to bear in mind

You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts and you usually get monkeys
Yes, I agree with this in general. But it doesn't always apply; you do have to be discerning. There are plenty of dodgy geezers out there who will charge an arm and a leg, make you pay through the nose, and still do a shoddy job.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

No problemo
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

pm Cresta57, tiler by trade (when he's not moderating!)
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:08 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Pollyana
pm Cresta57, tiler by trade (when he's not moderating!)
Cool, thanks!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.
I reckon you've got the "piss off I don't want the job" quote.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Hello Vash, I do tiling and back in the Uk used to charge approx £20 or £25 Sq/mtr depending if straight tiling or decorative, and supply the adhesive which costs up to £20 a bag so this quote doesn't seem too high. Most unusual to charge by the hr though. Hope this helps

John
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:41 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it sounds more than reasonable, in London you'd be hard pressed to find someone for less than £40 a metre, you have to take into consideration materials where and tear on tools etc.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
... where and tear on tools etc.
Does that mean that you've got to pay for him to look for his tools

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.