Reload this Page >

Quick PDF question...

Wikiposts

Quick PDF question...

Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:53 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick PDF question...

I've got a load of scanned pages and I want to make them into one PDF document

How can I do that on this antiquated windows PC.... ?

Thank you.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick PDF question...

Download this http://www.pdf995.com/

Install it, then when you go into your document and select print it will come under the printer options somewhere.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:59 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have Adobe? Or perhaps the newest version of office?

When I was at work last year I used to have to scan my tests and save them as a pdf, I could only do it on computers that had the full version of adobe installed. Any old computer can open an adobe file with Acrobat Reader, but to make one you actually need something like Adobe.

My new computer does not have Adobe but I do have Office 2007. I've downloaded an extension that allows to me to save any of my files as PDF's. So I suppose if I had a bunch of scanned pages I'd put them into word and then publish as a PDF.

There may be another way, it's just those are the only two ways I know to do it.

How many scanned pages are we talking about anyway? If you've only got a few then you could always send me the file and I could give it a shot and email it back. That is as long as it's not something private.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by comet555
Do you have Adobe? Or perhaps the newest version of office?

When I was at work last year I used to have to scan my tests and save them as a pdf, I could only do it on computers that had the full version of adobe installed. Any old computer can open an adobe file with Acrobat Reader, but to make one you actually need something like Adobe.

My new computer does not have Adobe but I do have Office 2007. I've downloaded an extension that allows to me to save any of my files as PDF's. So I suppose if I had a bunch of scanned pages I'd put them into word and then publish as a PDF.

There may be another way, it's just those are the only two ways I know to do it.

How many scanned pages are we talking about anyway? If you've only got a few then you could always send me the file and I could give it a shot and email it back. That is as long as it's not something private.
Um, it's work... but thanks.

I have Word.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You beat me too it!

Looks like that might work, I'd be interested to know how it goes.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:04 pm
Canuck/Aussie

I figured, but you never know

Anyway, if you've got the newest version of Word then this is how I got mine to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Once that's installed it's really easy. You just go 'save as' for your word document and selecet PDF. Then it will save it and open it up in PDF format for you to see. That's it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
You beat me too it!

Looks like that might work, I'd be interested to know how it goes.

It's really good, and pretty easy to use. I've been using it for years.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:14 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's really good, and pretty easy to use. I've been using it for years.
I wish I'd known that when I was working. I used to have to drag all my crap to the computer lab to scan everything (which took about an hour a week). I was told that was the only place to do it and it never occured to me to look for something else.

Even if I had the new version of word it still wouldn't have helped me. All the tests were created in special software so word would not have helped.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Could try this.

http://www.commerce.uct.ac.za/Services/PDF%20Generator/

or this:

http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

or this:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/pe_intro.php

or this:

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:20 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Um, it's work... but thanks.

I have Word.

If you don't want to upgrade to the paid package after the free period runs out, then you could do a lot worse than install OpenOffice Writer, which has PDF creation as a built in feature. It reads Word files natively, and you can then just press the PDF button to create proper PDFs.

It also allows you to preserve hyperlinks, and produce PDFs with indexes and clickable TOCs.

S
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:27 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you don't want to upgrade to the paid package after the free period runs out, then you could do a lot worse than install OpenOffice Writer, which has PDF creation as a built in feature. It reads Word files natively, and you can then just press the PDF button to create proper PDFs.

It also allows you to preserve hyperlinks, and produce PDFs with indexes and clickable TOCs.

S
also be careful using the new "free" word package as its not backward compatable
ie new word documets carnt be opened in an older version so when the 3 month trail ends your stuffed unless you make a concious effort to save eveything as doc files ( the new format uses dox )
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:19 pm

Thanks everyone.

As I was running low on time at work, I emailed it home to my Mac, and did it in a jiffy on that.

Technology. Fab!