Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Question for ladies in OZ

Wikiposts

Question for ladies in OZ

Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question for ladies in OZ

looking back to your move, do you think it is wise to bring clothes from the UK?

I am wondering whether to bring a new batch of t shirts etc, and summer clothes when the sales are on - or are clothes as cheap in OZ.

I have read many threads about bra's and just wondered if the clothes sizes are a bit of a problem as well.

Any guidance gratefully recvd

angelax
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for ladies in OZ

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
looking back to your move, do you think it is wise to bring clothes from the UK?

I am wondering whether to bring a new batch of t shirts etc, and summer clothes when the sales are on - or are clothes as cheap in OZ.

I have read many threads about bra's and just wondered if the clothes sizes are a bit of a problem as well.

angelax
I would bring a fair amount. I have found it takes quite some time to find the things you like here - though I've only been in Oz for 5 months. Prices are OK - quality not always great. If you will have time on your hands and like to spend hours shopping you should be OK though! I really miss French Connection for my nice things and Next for my basics.
Rachel
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:22 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

clothes as cheap in OZ.
angelax
Cheap in so much as quality is what you pay for.

Limited feather down coats etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:37 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

angelax

I seriously would bring as much as you can with you. I got rid of a lot of clothes before I left (specifically winter clothes) and really regret it. You dont have the choice over here that you have in the UK and I do miss that. So my advice BRING EVERYTHING (not just clothes - literally EVERYTHING!)
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:00 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

angelax
I've found it's particularly bad here for......KNICKERS!! If you can, bring good stocks. I've got a couple of friends who have had to make trips back to the UK and both have brought back stocks of knickers for themselves and daughters. Don't know why, but I've found the quality is terrible. Generally, I think the quality of clothes is bad here unless you have a fortune to spend on clothes. You get what you pay for, that's for sure. I've started making my own because I cannot get them to fit.

I seriously miss my mail order catalogue and Tescos for clothes!

The other thing that makes me laugh here is the size of towels. I shipped some new ones over and I'm glad I did. Bath towels are seriously small and the hand towels here are the size of the little *guest towels* my granny used to put in the bathroom for visitors. NBG at all. Couldn't dry a gnat on them. Not looking forward to having to replace mine, that's for sure.

Sue
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

angelax
Bring everything you can!!!! Knickers, winter jackets etc. Fashion here isn't great and underwear is even worse. Stock up now!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Underwear in Aus is devoid of decent elastic, and the clothes are what you pay for - cheap means cheap. There is a real gap in the market mid-range, so if you have the chance to stock up then do.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 5:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Question for ladies in OZ

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
The other thing that makes me laugh here is the size of towels. I shipped some new ones over and I'm glad I did. Bath towels are seriously small and the hand towels here are the size of the little *guest towels* my granny used to put in the bathroom for visitors. NBG at all. Couldn't dry a gnat on them. Not looking forward to having to replace mine, that's for sure.

Sue
UK face towel: 30x30cm.

Australian face towel: 30x30cm.

UK bath towel: 70x120cm.

Australian bath towel: 70x140 cm.

UK bath sheet: 90x150cm.

Australian bath sheet: 75x150 cm.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I've found it's particularly bad here for......KNICKERS!! If you can, bring good stocks. I've got a couple of friends who have had to make trips back to the UK and both have brought back stocks of knickers for themselves and daughters. Don't know why, but I've found the quality is terrible. Generally, I think the quality of clothes is bad here unless you have a fortune to spend on clothes. You get what you pay for, that's for sure. I've started making my own because I cannot get them to fit.

I seriously miss my mail order catalogue and Tescos for clothes!

Sue
glad I've seen this as some of ours are starting wear (small holes) and have been using them for cleaning rags - telling myself that I'll get some new ones in Oz - now I think I'l buy some and put them in the container!
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:43 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Vash you have outdone yourself with this post - stats on towel sizes

However i do have to wonder what has happened to hand towels in your list?!

Tiggs
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all replies - much appreciated

There's so many cheap clothes in the uk at the moment - think I will put a load in the container.

Any orders for N QLD taking now

thanks
angelaxx
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all replies - much appreciated

There's so many cheap clothes in the uk at the moment - think I will put a load in the container.

Any orders for N QLD taking now

thanks
angelaxx
think I'll stock up on my favourtie undies seeing as the sales will start soon - then it will be winter stock in the shops :scared:
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 10:58 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
I would bring a fair amount. I have found it takes quite some time to find the things you like here - though I've only been in Oz for 5 months. Prices are OK - quality not always great. If you will have time on your hands and like to spend hours shopping you should be OK though! I really miss French Connection for my nice things and Next for my basics.
Rachel
Hi Rachel,
There is a French Connection in the City (I think Little Collins Street) and one in Chadstone.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:33 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I seriously would bring as much as you can with you. I got rid of a lot of clothes before I left (specifically winter clothes) and really regret it. You dont have the choice over here that you have in the UK and I do miss that. So my advice BRING EVERYTHING (not just clothes - literally EVERYTHING!)
Most of the clothes come from china etc. now anyway but it might be the brand you like you can't find or will take you some time to track down. We like Rohan and North Face and can't find them here have to get from UK still.

As for BRING EVERYTHING quite agree we are now buying ladders etc. that we gave away in the UK and trailer boards for the bikes etc. that we used to have, even something as silly as chess board we've had to rebuy and it all mounts up... .
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:38 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

fab thread!!!

how do prices for 'labels' compare with uk? i mean labels such as Animal, Quicksilver, other 'surfer' type clothes?? dont suppose there is a Fat Face?
one of my favourite shops at meadowhell is the freespirit shop ...... if it wasnt so expensive (and SUCH small sizes, lol their 16 is really a 12!!) id fill my entire wardrobe with the stuff!!!

sue
ps just wanted to add, i buy cheap knickers that fall apart after 3 months anyway....will i be disappointed with aus standards?? lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.