Reload this Page >

Question from Aussie moving to the UK

Question from Aussie moving to the UK

Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Aridh1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question from Aussie moving to the UK

Hey guys,

I finish my degree in one year and plan on going to the UK on an Ancestral Visa. I was born in Australia but my grandma is English. I am a bit naive on a couple of things and would appreciate it if people are able to offer me some advice.

I want to avoid London. I've been there multiple times, and I want to try somewhere new. Information for people moving to the UK seems to be fairly limited to information about London. I have not been to any cities aside from London so I am unsure about where to go.

I work with mostly British people, and they've all said things like "avoid Birmingham", "be careful in Manchester, it's very rough", "Leeds is dangerous", etc. It's given me a preconceived image that I wanted to avoid.

I am looking to spend time in a large city with good nightlife and activities, and also fairly safe (pretty broad term to use, sorry). What would people recommend for me? I was looking at Glasgow, Manchester or Newcastle.

Cheers for any help / suggestions.

Last edited by Aridh1; Mar 8th 2016 at 4:24 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question from Aussie moving to the UK

Originally Posted by Aridh1
He guys,

I finish my degree in one year and plan on going to the UK on an Ancestral Visa. I was born in Australia but my grandma is English. I am a bit naive on a couple of things and would appreciate it if people are able to offer me some advice.

I want to avoid London. I've been there multiple times, and I want to try somewhere new. Information for people moving to the UK seems to be fairly limited to information about London. I have not been to any cities aside from London so I am unsure about where to go.

I work with mostly British people, and they've all said things like "avoid Birmingham", "be careful in Manchester, it's very rough", "Leeds is dangerous", etc. It's given me a preconceived image that I wanted to avoid.

I am looking to spend time in a large city with good nightlife and activities, and also fairly safe (pretty broad term to use, sorry). What would people recommend for me? I was looking at Glasgow, Manchester or Newcastle.

Cheers for any help / suggestions.
Opinions are like assholes on this I'm afraid

Go and have a look round for yourself and find the place that you like

Personally I like Liverpool, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Newcastle
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:25 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle is a great city. Small enough to be able to get around easily, but big enough to have a decent nightlife. As the uni campus is central, there is lots of share accommodation available (and not just for students! Lots of people stay on for work after graduating).
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A lot will depend on personal preference. I would take a look at Sheffield though.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not big cities but plenty of young adult life in Cambridge and Oxford - close enough to London for the day, pretty safe as far as I can see. I guess it all depends on what you do for a crust as to where the jobs are. The world is your oyster really!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at Glasgow, Manchester or Newcastle.
I'm pretty sure Glasgow is probably more 'dangerous' than all of the other ones you've mentioned...however it's a fun place to live if you can tolerate the weather!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Newcastle is a great city. Small enough to be able to get around easily, but big enough to have a decent nightlife. As the uni campus is central, there is lots of share accommodation available (and not just for students! Lots of people stay on for work after graduating).
I also liked Newcastle. That said the weather was stunning the weekend I was there which was part of the appeal.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Aridh1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated. Going to have a look into some of the cities suggested.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated. Going to have a look into some of the cities suggested.
I really don't think any city in the UK is particularly dangerous, of course like all cities there are less desirable pockets, same as with any in Australia.

Manchester is not rough, it is a great city and absolutely thriving. I have never heard anyone say that Leeds is dangerous and I know little about Birmingham but I know I would feel perfectly comfortable visiting or living there if the need arose.

The northern cities will be substantially cheaper to live in than southern ones, so Manchester or Leeds seem like great choices for someone young and starting out.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol or Brighton would be my suggestions.