British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   question about the aussie cricket strip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/question-about-aussie-cricket-strip-695964/)

squeezzii Dec 6th 2010 3:38 am

question about the aussie cricket strip

can anyone tell me is there any reasons behind the design of the Oz cricket team strip? I know they did a 'pink ribbon' thing for glenn mcgrath previously, but in the ashes some players have a red thing at the neck and some have a yellow one. I know this is totally trivial but Im interested if there is any reason why? thanks

Broad Shoulders Dec 6th 2010 3:40 am

Re: question about the aussie cricket strip

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 9023388)
can anyone tell me is there any reasons behind the design of the Oz cricket team strip? I know they did a 'pink ribbon' thing for glenn mcgrath previously, but in the ashes some players have a red thing at the neck and some have a yellow one. I know this is totally trivial but Im interested if there is any reason why? thanks

Dunno, but I think you'll be able to get both shirts on a two-for-one deal in a few hours.

Pollyana Dec 6th 2010 4:31 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 9023388)

The yellow ribbons might be for the Victorian Bushfires? They were being worn as a mark of respect/rememberance.
The red ones seem to be to do with marking World Aids Day.

DeadVim Dec 6th 2010 4:35 am

Soon there will be black armbands to mark the death of Australian cricket.

moneypenny20 Dec 6th 2010 7:09 am

Each player has a nominated charity. One of the main one's is Red Kite so the red neck bit is probably for that. I think the yellow may be Pontings charity colour. You'd think if they wanted to draw attention to the charities they'd publicise the colour and the reason a bit better.

Geordie George Dec 6th 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9023602)
Each player has a nominated charity. One of the main one's is Red Kite so the red neck bit is probably for that. I think the yellow may be Pontings charity colour. You'd think if they wanted to draw attention to the charities they'd publicise the colour and the reason a bit better.

There was a ticker that ran across the screen yesterday(? Day before?) saying something along the lines of sponsor Ricky Ponting for each run he makes throughout the series. If it weren't for the fact it's in aid of a children's cancer charity I'd have laughed. They're keeping that quiet, too.

moneypenny20 Dec 6th 2010 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 9023615)
There was a ticker that ran across the screen yesterday(? Day before?) saying something along the lines of sponsor Ricky Ponting for each run he makes throughout the series. If it weren't for the fact it's in aid of a children's cancer charity I'd have laughed. They're keeping that quiet, too.

Hope they didn't have high hopes of raising millions :blink:

DeadVim Dec 6th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 9023615)

I guess "Scowl Ricky Scowl" didn't get off the ground ...

squeezzii Dec 6th 2010 9:19 am

thanks everyone :)

Geordie George Dec 6th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9023649)
I guess "Scowl Ricky Scowl" didn't get off the ground ...

The nation would be bankrupt.

moneypenny20 Dec 7th 2010 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 9024842)
The nation would be bankrupt.

My local radio are doing a comp for tickets for one of the tests and one of the guys said something about it would only be poms entering the comp :D The other one then said that perhaps Ponting should enter as it was likely the only way he'd get there. :rofl: Who says the Aussies don't have a sense of humour over sport. :lol: