Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Queen Street Mall (Brisbane) goes smoke-free

Queen Street Mall (Brisbane) goes smoke-free

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:55 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queen Street Mall (Brisbane) goes smoke-free

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
It's a good thing, no doubt.

Agree with MP & DV.

At the Xmas in July the one thing that bothered me was the smoke whilst watching the game, I know it's outside, but it stinks and my clothes were minging by the time I had left. My kids also weren't comfortable with the smoke and queried why people have to smoke, especially around babies and children. (my boys are 12 & 8).
People have to smoke because they are nicotine addicts, that's pretty much it. Addicts are selfish to varying degrees.

When I smoked I went out of my way (literally) not to inconvenience other people but the fact is the majority don't.

The exhaust fumes argument is a pretty poor defence. You can't justify perpetuating one bad thing by citing another that, although it has valid concerns of it's own, is totally unrelated.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
People have to smoke because they are nicotine addicts, that's pretty much it. Addicts are selfish to varying degrees.

When I smoked I went out of my way (literally) not to inconvenience other people but the fact is the majority don't.

The exhaust fumes argument is a pretty poor defence. You can't justify perpetuating one bad thing by citing another that, although it has valid concerns of it's own, is totally unrelated.
The others are right, the mall did stink...I remember it vividly. It's hard to imagine an outdoor space would have such concentrated cigarette smoke. Another one is just outside the smokers line of the MCG at 3/4 time...wow, incredible...and that's much more open than the QS mall.

Another issue which will undoubtedly arise in the mall is the fag butts...which for some reason the vast majority of smokers don't consider to be litter. I've always found that really odd, most of these people would never dream of lobbing their other trash in the street but butts, no consideration given to those.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:42 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The others are right, the mall did stink...I remember it vividly. It's hard to imagine an outdoor space would have such concentrated cigarette smoke. Another one is just outside the smokers line of the MCG at 3/4 time...wow, incredible...and that's much more open than the QS mall.

Another issue which will undoubtedly arise in the mall is the fag butts...which for some reason the vast majority of smokers don't consider to be litter. I've always found that really odd, most of these people would never dream of lobbing their other trash in the street but butts, no consideration given to those.
Indeed. Manky, selfish bastards.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:44 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A ban on smoking in Brisbane's Queen Street Mall will take effect from September.

The State Government has approved the Brisbane City Council's request to ban smoking in the mall. The Council will fine people $200 if they refuse to put out their cigarettes.

Is this really fair? I'm not a smoker but I do have friends who are - do people think its fair to ban smoking in pedestrian malls, specially open-air ones?
Outside I think a bit daft, if it is an inside mall then yes I don't think you should be able to smoke.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Outside I think a bit daft, if it is an inside mall then yes I don't think you should be able to smoke.
On the face of it 'outside' bans are daft, until you try walking from one end of that mall to the other. Have you ever been?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I don't smoke but to me this is another example of PC gone mad, if you want a cigarette why shouldn't you be able to smoke outside? Yes it smells a bit, but so what we need to learn to get along with each other with all of our differences. If we walk through a few puffs of smoke it will not kill us.

Some peoples cars stink,some peoples bodies stink guess they will be developing laws for those again too.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

On the face of it 'outside' bans are daft, until you try walking from one end of that mall to the other. Have you ever been?
I haven't so I am saying outside in general. Is it bad?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:55 am
Mostly Harmless

I haven't so I am saying outside in general. Is it bad?
Your wording implied that all outside bans would be daft, hence the question.

As others have said, it stinks. The last time I tried to eat an ice cream with my daughter in some shade on a stinking hot day it was impossible to escape.

Those that cite the 'PC gone mad' argument are deluding themselves as much as the exhaust fumers.

I didn't quit due to health concerns btw, I didn't like being dependant on something and lining the pockets of Big Tobacco.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

Your wording implied that all outside bans would be daft, hence the question.

As others have said, it stinks. The last time I tried to eat an ice cream with my daughter in some shade on a stinking hot day it was impossible to escape.

Those that cite the 'PC gone mad' argument are deluding themselves as much as the exhaust fumers.

I didn't quit due to health concerns btw, I didn't like being dependant on something and lining the pockets of Big Tobacco.
I guess as I haven't been there so I shouldn't be so quick to generalise.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:58 am
Mostly Harmless

I guess as I haven't been there so I shouldn't be so quick to generalise.
Hey, why stand out from the rest of us
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:03 am

The thing about the smoking ban is that now there is an abundance of morons smoking their lungs into oblivion outside pubs etc. The thing about that is I find myself having to step off the pavement onto the road to avoid passive smoking, and if I am in town or a city, it's every second doorway.

Maybe we should go back to allowing them to smoke in pubs again as I very rarely frequent the joints anyhoo.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
I don't smoke but to me this is another example of PC gone mad
Your post is another example of pc gone mad gone mad!

How can it be PC gone mad if a minority is being discriminated against!?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
I don't smoke but to me this is another example of PC gone mad, if you want a cigarette why shouldn't you be able to smoke outside? Yes it smells a bit, but so what we need to learn to get along with each other with all of our differences. If we walk through a few puffs of smoke it will not kill us.

Some peoples cars stink,some peoples bodies stink guess they will be developing laws for those again too.
Yes it can and especially for those of us from Northern European ancestry who carry the gene that causes COPD (around 4% have 2 faulty genes and 1 in 625 will carry one faulty gene).

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/...mokerslung.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0831203607.htm

http://priory.com/cmol/causesof.htm
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Your post is another example of pc gone mad gone mad!

How can it be PC gone mad if a minority is being discriminated against!?
So you are saying its OK to discriminate against a minority so long as the majority of people agree with it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.