British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Quake/tsunami northern Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/quake-tsunami-northern-japan-708858/)

Pollyana Mar 11th 2011 6:46 am

Quake/tsunami northern Japan

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/03/11/3161924.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...11/3161866.htm

DFAT number for Australians concerned about family and friends in Japan - 1300 555 135

Large areas of Japan's northern Pacific coast have been swamped by a devastating tsunami, engulfing entire towns following a major 8.9 offshore quake.

The meteorological agency issued its top-level evacuation alerts for the entire Japanese coast, warning of a tsunami of up to six metres.

Towns and farms around Sendai city in northern Japan are being engulfed by a tsunami, and a four-metre wave has swamped parts of Kamaishi on the Pacific coast.
The quake, already considered one of the worst in Japan's history, struck about 382 kilometres north-east of Tokyo at a depth of 24 kilometres, the US Geological Survey said.

================================================== ===

Australia is listed on the current Pacific Warning Centre bulletins. These are NOT official bulletins for Australia. Any official warning for here will come from the BoM.

daunted Mar 11th 2011 7:01 am

Re: Quake/tsunami northern Japan

:fingerscrossed: daughters best friend currently living in Tokyo on a years exchange. What is going on in the world ???????????????

Wol Mar 11th 2011 7:06 am

Been watching on ABC 24 the NHK relay - horrifying live feed from 'copters of the tsunami engulfing whole towns. This is a very big one.

daunted Mar 11th 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 9232234)
Been watching on ABC 24 the NHK relay - horrifying live feed from 'copters of the tsunami engulfing whole towns. This is avery big one.

its horrendous viewing for sure.

expatasia Mar 11th 2011 7:11 am

As I was telling Polly just been on a theme park ride in my own building!!!! Absolute shocker, totally scary when all sorts of crap started falling about the flat up here on the 13th floor, lifts out of action etc so gotta stay put now and endure the aftershocks.....

Cell ph doesn't work. Some awful scenes on tv (Sendai area) already....

daunted Mar 11th 2011 7:19 am

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 9232240)
As I was telling Polly just been on a theme park ride in my own building!!!! Absolute shocker, totally scary when all sorts of crap started falling about the flat up here on the 13th floor, lifts out of action etc so gotta stay put now and endure the aftershocks.....

Cell ph doesn't work. Some awful scenes on tv (Sendai area) already....

Glad you are safe. Do you know whether Matsuyana is affected badly? Worried about someone there:(

expatasia Mar 11th 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9232249)
Glad you are safe. Do you know whether Matsuyana is affected badly? Worried about someone there:(

Matsuyama?

daunted Mar 11th 2011 7:31 am

Originally Posted by expatasia (Post 9232252)
Matsuyama?

Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan. that is the address she now lists on her facebook page. lots of worried messages being left for her but i expect its all more than a little crazy over there right now. Hoping for some news before Daughter gets home from work and hears about it. stay safe:wub:

renth Mar 11th 2011 8:46 am

Nuclear Power Emergency Situation has been declared!

Alfresco Mar 11th 2011 9:00 am

Absolutely awful. :(

Seeing that huge wave engulfing everything in it's path.

LINZI Mar 11th 2011 9:37 am

:( awful watching the news

:ohmy: cannot believe what's been happening lately

renth Mar 11th 2011 9:54 am

China Syndrome happening in Japan as we speak.

Pollyana Mar 11th 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9232466)
China Syndrome happening in Japan as we speak.

Officially now listed as an offshore earthquake of a magnitude of 8.9 centred occurred 130 kilometres east of Sendai, Japan at 1746 AEDST (1446 Tokyo time). Tsunami has struck the northeast coast of the main island of Honshu, Japan.
- earthquake and subsequent tsunami has resulted in significant damage to infrastructure in the Miyagi prefecture and surrounding areas.
- landlines are now operative, however mobile phone networks are subject to disruption
- internet communications are working
- trains and subways are not operating and Narita International Airport has been closed as a precautionary measure
- There are no known fatalities in Tokyo (at this time) although there has been damage to infrastructure and buildings

8,000 times bigger than one that rocked Christchurch last month

Telegraph is running a page with updates here

midnight Aussie time - 200-300 bodies found in Sendai :(

daunted Mar 11th 2011 1:27 pm

Still waiting for news from my daughters friend who is out there on an exchange for a year. She is some distance from worst area but is still out of contact and wont rest easy until we know she is safe. What on earth s going on in the world of late:(

Pollyana Mar 11th 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9232874)
Still waiting for news from my daughters friend who is out there on an exchange for a year. She is some distance from worst area but is still out of contact and wont rest easy until we know she is safe. What on earth s going on in the world of late:(

Lots of problems with phones, as usual after an event like this, so hopefully thats the only thing wrong. :fingerscrossed: