Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

I am still trying to contact my Uncle & Aunt who live close to Toowoomba.Can't get hold of them by mobile, landline or email so I am pretty worried now, they live in the middle of nowhere called Rosalie Plains just west of Toowoomba. If anyone know any info on this are I would be very thankful.

Fortunately we are okay here on the Gold Coast.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:33 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Originally Posted by pproehann
Sky saying after interviewing Julia with flooded Brisbane River City in the background they are now saying 20,000 possibly will be flooded when it's finished but they did add just guessing still.
As of 10am - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...112-19n6h.html
"Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says new flood modelling now indicates that 19,700 residential properties and 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets are likely to be flooded in the city."

20k residential properties ?
That almost defies belief. Shocking.

Mother Nature in Australia is truly brutally harsh once she gets fired up.

The utter helplessness of the unfolding situation reminds me of the fires down here just 2 years ago. Despite the mammoth, incredible efforts of the firefighters and resue services, in the end it was a waiting game to see what the weather would bring and hope that the loss of life and destruction of property would be limited.

Good luck to all affected and struggling through this disaster.
I hope the worst passes soon up there and that the recovery and healing process can begin.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
I am still trying to contact my Uncle & Aunt who live close to Toowoomba.Can't get hold of them by mobile, landline or email so I am pretty worried now, they live in the middle of nowhere called Rosalie Plains just west of Toowoomba. If anyone know any info on this are I would be very thankful.

Fortunately we are okay here on the Gold Coast.
Tina, call 1300 993 191 - police line set up after the Toowoomba/Lockyer Valley events. I can't see or remember anything on Rosalie Plains but only have limited access to work stuff while not in the office.

Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
As of 10am - http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...112-19n6h.html
"Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says new flood modelling now indicates that 19,700 residential properties and 3,500 commercial premises in 2,100 streets are likely to be flooded in the city."

20k residential properties ?
That almost defies belief. Shocking.

Mother Nature in Australia is truly brutally harsh once she gets fired up.

The utter helplessness of the unfolding situation reminds me of the fires down here just 2 years ago. Despite the mammoth, incredible efforts of the firefighters and resue services, in the end it was a waiting game to see what the weather would bring and hope that the loss of life and destruction of property would be limited.

Good luck to all affected and struggling through this disaster.
I hope the worst passes soon up there and that the recovery and healing process can begin.
Yep, 20k plus. Not good at all.
And yes, very much a waiting game. Today is a huge search and rescue job into the Lockyer Valley to try and find those missing and unaccounted for. The Premier has said the Coroner is moving into Lockyer Valley today along with counselling teams.......

Last night all we could do at work was sit and wait for the waters to rise, only so many preparations that can be made; its eerie, and a very frustrating feeling. I've only felt it once before, 7am 20th March 2006, as we waited for Cyclone Larry to cross the coast.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 11th 2011 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:49 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to *spam*

CAN ANYONE HELP THIS LADY??????? Debra Ryan HELP NEEDED - my stallion is at Deception Bay with flood water rising. I need any one at Deception Bay with a spare stallion yard. I can't get a float... to him. I need to swim him out. He is near blue pacific drive ring 0403698827 PLEASE CUT AND PASTE passing it along may help this lady

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to make it QUITE so big!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Sorry to *spam*
Jen, I've seen this crop on Facebook a number of times, I think the horse was rescued yesterday.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook is a good place to put the call for help, I will copy to my page as I have a lot of QLD friends

OK so do not need to its been rescued thank goodness.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:09 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Jen, I've seen this crop on Facebook a number of times, I think the horse was rescued yesterday.
It was just posted on my friends FB by a girl who knew the girl, so I dunno if that's the case or not, sorry....
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Water has reached the bottom of my street - Grant Denyer and his gang are also there. Really suffering up here from nervous belly!!!!!! Might take another walk down there just to keep upto date with things..............maybe Canberra is not such a bad place after all.......
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
Water has reached the bottom of my street - Grant Denyer and his gang are also there. Really suffering up here from nervous belly!!!!!! Might take another walk down there just to keep upto date with things..............maybe Canberra is not such a bad place after all.......
Good luck!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:57 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

seen this on facebook - bought tears to my eyes, so many people trying to help out there too..

its a page with people offering safe places to stay, people and animals.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-can-...2111896?v=wall
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Good luck!

Cheers - its the poor bods at the bottom of my street who really need to worry. So many of them are currently trying to pack up their lives into any transport they have and their efforts are being hampered by dickhead "tourists" driving their cars into the very heart of the problem. I live in a small street and so far today have seen 2 prangs.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
Cheers - its the poor bods at the bottom of my street who really need to worry. So many of them are currently trying to pack up their lives into any transport they have and their efforts are being hampered by dickhead "tourists" driving their cars into the very heart of the problem. I live in a small street and so far today have seen 2 prangs.
Stupidity beyond belief ... I am going nowhere today, everyone else can panic buy and sightsee ...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, the weather outlook is pretty good right now for Brisbane and SEQ. Nothing really on the radar,only light showers.

Wivenhoe have reduced the amount of water they are releasing, so this is a good sign.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Was just reading the BBC coverage - main article on the World News and I see your newsclip has been added as a permanent feature on the page Jen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.