Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Old Sep 7th 2012, 4:56 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

It'll be Singapore all the way for me then too, transitting in Abu Dhabi was utterly crap, worst few hours I've spent in an airport in a long time. Changi was so much nicer- smiling staff, oodles of space, places to eat etc.
Saying that, I'm going to Ireland in Feb and the brother has already booked with Etihad (shudder) coz they go straight through to Dublin rather than having to change in London. I've said I'll go on the same flight (coz I'm a martyr) so that means Abu Dhabi, 'ambient' lighting on the plane (ie no sleep), rude staff, crap food and a 15 hour flight in one go. Family! Who'd have 'em??

Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The big advantage for Dubai (Emirates, and now Qantas), is that it is basically at the centre of the world, between Europe and Asia, and therefore offers 1-stop flights from Australia to regional UK and European cities.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The big advantage for Dubai (Emirates, and now Qantas), is that it is basically at the centre of the world, between Europe and Asia, and therefore offers 1-stop flights from Australia to regional UK and European cities.
I dont see how this distinguishes it from any of the usual S.E.Asian destinations (Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, KL etc etc) that are also conveniently mid-way between Europe and Australia?

Dubai is slightly closer to Europe, S.E.Asia is slightly closer to Australia, but picking up on that as a difference is splitting hairs.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I dont see how this distinguishes it from any of the usual S.E.Asian destinations (Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, KL etc etc) that are also conveniently mid-way between Europe and Australia?

Dubai is slightly closer to Europe, S.E.Asia is slightly closer to Australia, but picking up on that as a difference is splitting hairs.
For the UK:
Qantas flies to Heathrow only
SIA flies to Heathrow and Manchester
Emirates flies to Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Dublin, Newcastle.

1-stop from most of those cities to Australia on Emirates
2-stops from most of those cities to Australia on SIA
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:40 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

For the UK:
Qantas flies to Heathrow only
SIA flies to Heathrow and Manchester
Emirates flies to Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Dublin, Newcastle.

1-stop from most of those cities to Australia on Emirates
2-stops from most of those cities to Australia on SIA
True, but who would want to go to any of those places?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I would be a little surprised if they bomb Bushehr before the election. They will have to fly over Jordan, Saudi, Iraq and Kuwait or alternatively they might just go through Jordan and Iraq but it's a longer flight. Don't forget who controls Iraqi airspace.
I'm not sure this counts, but I flew over both Iraq and Afganistan during both conflicts in a commericial airliner. Granted it was only a small corner of Iraq but hey ....... if there's a conflict somewhere they just fly around it. .... right?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I think the point is that from a European perspective, Singapore et al make good hub locations for onward local flights to SE Asia/Australia/NZ destinations - therefore for BA it makes sense.

For Qantas, Dubai is better placed because of the multiple 'local' flights into Europe. London means transiting a busy, expensive airport and 'going back on yourself'. That contrasts with a US airline, where London is better placed.

Reality is, Qantas are closing down their international elements under the mismanagement of joyce. They are busy converting back into a local airline with a few long haul routes, mainly to connect with hubs.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm not sure this counts, but I flew over both Iraq and Afganistan during both conflicts in a commericial airliner. Granted it was only a small corner of Iraq but hey ....... if there's a conflict somewhere they just fly around it. .... right?

Also flown over Afghanistan, right over Helmand province and didn't see any SAM launches.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

(Who goes via LA?) As we have family in California, we do.

And if we were to go on to the Old Country, we would get double the baggage allowance.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 7th 2012 at 6:07 am.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah but Iraq and especially Afghanistan were far too primitive to pose a threat. Iran is heavily armed with the latest Russian Katyushas.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:03 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying the a/c that will be used to bomb Bushehr have a limited combat radius and going through Jordan and Iraq only makes the flight much longer. Whichever way they go they're going to have to fly through Iraq, and US military is not going to allow Israeli jets to fly through their airspace to bomb Iran if it hasn't already approved the action at a political level. This is why I doubt - doubt, not know - that they will strike before the election.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:33 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever way they go they're going to have to fly through Iraq, and US military is not going to allow Israeli jets to fly through their airspace to bomb Iran if it hasn't already approved the action at a political level.
Which is one reason to say it will be before the election....

"Negatory israeli F15, you may not pass through Iraq"
"We're coming, and if you want to try shooting us down, you might like to ask Obama first if he'd like to win the election"
"ahhh....."

Reality time, if the US have anything to do with it, israeli aircraft aren't going to get fired upon.

Nah, the main problem is if israel is actually capable of doing the deed.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by GarryP
Which is one reason to say it will be before the election....

"Negatory israeli F15, you may not pass through Iraq"
"We're coming, and if you want to try shooting us down, you might like to ask Obama first if he'd like to win the election"
"ahhh....."

Reality time, if the US have anything to do with it, israeli aircraft aren't going to get fired upon.

Nah, the main problem is if israel is actually capable of doing the deed.
There would be consequences if the Israelis tried to blackmail the US in the way you have outlined. And yes, they most certainly capable of doing it and have done so twice already.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:43 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - they have a cream for that these days.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Fred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the roughFred Basset is a jewel in the rough

Someone has got it in one, Qantas will still fly to London twice daily, 1 flight from Sydney and one from Melbourne, but if you want to go to any other place in the UK or Europe Emirates offers a lot of one stop connections to many places.

Currently if you fly Qantas you have to go to London and then transfer from T3 to T5, it is fun the first time but after you have done it 10 times in the last few years the novelty wears off.

The other good news is that flying Emirates you can now accrue Qantas frequent flyer points, well from April 2013 when the government regulations are finalized.

And nice to know my username still works.