Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Originally Posted by bcworld
http://canberra.usembassy.gov/visa_waiver_prog.html

The more information link gives you:

If you have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, have certain serious communicable illnesses, have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP, you may not be eligible for VWP travel and should not attempt to travel without a visa.

Slightly less clear cut, but still visa in advance essentially required.

Of course it also says try ESTA first.
So it effectly means you may or may not be able to travel on VWP, but don't judge for yourself. Come on in for a visa and we will be the judge.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So it effectly means you may or may not be able to travel on VWP, but don't judge for yourself. Come on in for a visa and we will be the judge.
I think we're agreeing to agree again?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Rah rah rah rah it's teh Arabs, it's teh Muslims, it's teh Arabs. Pitchfork-waving toss.
You weren't there. I spent a distinctly uncomfortable night on a plastic chair in the middle of the airport - cos thats the only place there was to go, Ten hour unplanned transit stop. Nowhere open to get food and drink, and in the days before everyone had mobiles it would've been good to at least have assistance to contact friends at the other end to say we were all going to miss our connections in Singapore (and Melbourne in my case). Its the only time on a trip across the world that I have felt really uneasy and at times even threatened. Once on the plane the Arabic gentleman next to me complained every time I asked for a drink, even ordering the crew not to serve me as I was a woman travelling alone and therefore should be ignored.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:24 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

QANTAS is a client of where I work. They are cutting back all over the place and in a large scale that is not reported in the press. Most of the people I work with there were told to reapply for their jobs and half lost them. If it was unionised engineers you would have heard about it but this is back office staff.

I suspect QANTAS will try and ditch any route where they need to stopover with the possible exception of London. The cost of laying over staff and paying for them on their break days is huge.

The worst thing about this deal is that it will mean QANTAS will use the deal to control pricing with Emirates making the route less competitive. Singapore airlines will love the deal.

The Chinese airlines will try and fill the void.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think we're agreeing to agree again?
We're on a roll
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>I suspect QANTAS will try and ditch any route where they need to stopover with the possible exception of London. The cost of laying over staff and paying for them on their break days is huge.<<

Cost of doing business, I'm afraid. Until they can genetically engineer crew to go a couple of days without rest they are stuck with having to spend big on accommodation, like all airlines.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:43 pm

A Europe Australia return needs three layovers. An airline based in the middle only has to pay for two.

Qantas is cutting costs everywhere.

Originally Posted by Wol
>>I suspect QANTAS will try and ditch any route where they need to stopover with the possible exception of London. The cost of laying over staff and paying for them on their break days is huge.<<

Cost of doing business, I'm afraid. Until they can genetically engineer crew to go a couple of days without rest they are stuck with having to spend big on accommodation, like all airlines.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
A Europe Australia return needs three layovers. An airline based in the middle only has to pay for two.

Qantas is cutting costs everywhere.
True, of course. But only really significant if Qantas is pulling out of everything after the ME - they are not being based there themselves. I presume <g>.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:00 pm

Frankfurt is getting cut. I reckon anything other than London will be Emirates from Dubai. The question is whether Qantas or Jetstar will be used for Asia?

Originally Posted by Wol
True, of course. But only really significant if Qantas is pulling out of everything after the ME - they are not being based there themselves. I presume <g>.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:38 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Frankfurt is getting cut. I reckon anything other than London will be Emirates from Dubai. The question is whether Qantas or Jetstar will be used for Asia?
from the announcements it seems QF direct flights to Asia will not change except to SG and HK where only the timetable will change as there will no longer be a 2nd leg to Europe. no more A380 to SG though as they will be used for the Aust-Dubai leg.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of all the places in the world I wouldn't want to have any kind of base, the ME is it. It's unstable enough at the moment, as a region, and only likely to get more so as the oil runs out.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:40 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates is not part of OneWorld - its only partner airlines in this part of the world are JAL and Korean. Will this mean that Qantas FF points will no longer be valid on OneWorld airlines, and that flights on OneWorld airlines will not earn QF points?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Qantas is taking a gigantic risk here, they don't seem to have factored in the incredibly likely scenario that war with Iran and possibly Syria will happen within the near future.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:56 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Emirates is not part of OneWorld - its only partner airlines in this part of the world are JAL and Korean. Will this mean that Qantas FF points will no longer be valid on OneWorld airlines, and that flights on OneWorld airlines will not earn QF points?
no.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:06 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Of all the places in the world I wouldn't want to have any kind of base, the ME is it. It's unstable enough at the moment, as a region, and only likely to get more so as the oil runs out.
Agreed, but global oil isn't due to run out for another 44 years (I know this doesn't factor in economic growth), and when it does, I don't think there's going to be a huge demand for aircraft!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.