Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas dumps BA and Singapore hub!

Originally Posted by bcworld
I doubt you'll be able to combine them...no such arrangement exists with the current BA/QF JV.

I am looking forward to being able to burn QF points on EK - I suspect availability will be dramatically better!
So you can use points from one to fly with the other, but you can't use a combination? As in pooling all points to get you a return instead of a one-way?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
So you can use points from one to fly with the other, but you can't use a combination? As in pooling all points to get you a return instead of a one-way?
You can't pool points between programs...and direct transfer between programs is very rare...I can only think of one example. (BA <> Iberia - and they have merged).

You could book 2 one ways but you'd need enough in each program.

They might offer a transfer but I'd be very surprised.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So you were arrested for football hooliganism?

Doesn't stop you transiting but you will not be eligible for a visa waiver - therefore you need to apply for a visa in advance.
I believe it does. You still need to apply for VWP for transit and the little question is there. "have you ever been arrested or convicted ........". If the answer is yes then it's off to the embassy for a few questions before a visa is granted. Of course you can just overlook the little Selhurst incident from the 70's
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I believe it does. You still need to apply for VWP for transit and the little question is there. "have you ever been arrested or convicted ........". If the answer is yes then it's off to the embassy for a few questions before a visa is granted. Of course you can just overlook the little Selhurst incident from the 70's
No, you aren't eligible to use the VWP if you've ever been arrested - you apply for an actual visa in advance - and if that's granted you can transit (or visit).
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:01 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

An LAX transit is one of the least desirable things in air travel!
Absolutely 100% right! Travelling through LAX is hideous beyond words!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you aren't eligible to use the VWP if you've ever been arrested - you apply for an actual visa in advance - and if that's granted you can transit (or visit).
I believe that's techincally correct but for such an old conviction he should be fine. I've been to the US, both visiting and transit, several times with old convictions without declaring anything and nothings happened.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I believe that's techincally correct but for such an old conviction he should be fine. I've been to the US, both visiting and transit, several times with old convictions without declaring anything and nothings happened.
Having been a regular reader of the US boards, it's not something I'd do.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

...gets into bed with Emirates and Dubai instead!

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...5440/global/en

Singapore - Frankfurt cancelled...reasonable chance QF will give up flying to London fairly soon I'd say.
Hmm, I hope they don't muck about with my flight back to the UK at Christmas. Since it says "it is anticipated that the partnership will commence in April 2013" I think it should be safe.

It will be interesting to see how BA react. Maybe they will scale back flights to this part of the world, or maybe they will more aggressively attack Qantas, maybe via Etihad?. Emirates was already cleaning up, it just means less competition into Europe for them.

This is a small part of our overall network and this move fits in with changes in our global strategy.
suggests BA will dump Australia/NZ in the main.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...or-passengers/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ates-deal.html
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Thanks for the info... I was able to migrate to Australia without much of a problem, less than 2 years after the event.

My SiL.. Brothers wifes family live around LA and I'm supposed to meet him and their extended family there sometime in the future. So this information is most welcome.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, I hope they don't muck about with my flight back to the UK at Christmas. Since it says "it is anticipated that the partnership will commence in April 2013" I think it should be safe.

It will be interesting to see how BA react. Maybe they will scale back flights to this part of the world, or maybe they will more aggressively attack Qantas, maybe via Etihad?. Emirates was already cleaning up, it just means less competition into Europe for them.

suggests BA will dump Australia/NZ in the main.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...or-passengers/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ates-deal.html
BA has one flight a day to Australia so scaling back = exiting completely.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
LOL .... errm I figured london speak was universal.]
Ah, but this is football speak, which explains why I have never heard of it. I had to ask my wife who the gunners were when I was at university.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:37 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes what a turnaround from when BA/Qantas as nationalised national carriers totally dominated.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
One thing I'll give Qantas over Singapore in the A380's. Qantas start the inflight entertainment on the ground, where Singapore wait until you are at cruising altitude.

BA have no A380's and the 747 thing is just noisy, and uncomfortable in 2012
I make a point of always flying on the 747-400 if I can. It's a matter of personal preference.

I've only flown the A380 once (Emirates) and wasn't overly impressed. And there's always the question over the composites.....
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - used to operate to Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide as well as Auckland and Christchurch

How times have changed.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

We are talking the same thing. Let's agree to agree shall we

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.