Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Putting $$$ savings into UK account with way exchange rate is just now

Wikiposts

Putting $$$ savings into UK account with way exchange rate is just now

Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:49 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default Putting $$$ savings into UK account with way exchange rate is just now

Hi there,just wondering if anybody has any idea about this...
I live in Oz and i know at the moment that it costs approx $1.75 Ozzi to get one pound. I have approx $10,000 which i do not need for a while (part of my savings) and im wondering if its a good idea to put it into a UK account in the hope that the rate gets better as im thinking if it goes to $2.00 to one pound in the next 6-12 months i will of made myself approx $2.500. I guess its called tradind in currency but i have never done anything like this before.

I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions,i.e ,what kind of account would be best to open etc or what way to go about it.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting $$$ savings into UK account with way exchange rate is just now

Originally Posted by interested16
I live in Oz and i know at the moment that it costs approx $1.75 Ozzi to get one pound. I have approx $10,000 which i do not need for a while (part of my savings) and im wondering if its a good idea to put it into a UK account in the hope that the rate gets better as im thinking if it goes to $2.00 to one pound in the next 6-12 months i will of made myself approx $2.500. I guess its called tradind in currency but i have never done anything like this before.

I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions,i.e ,what kind of account would be best to open etc or what way to go about it.
Trading currency is exactly what it is. And remember you can deposit the funds into a UK interest bearing account as well which will pay out another 3% or so.

The only thing to bear in mind that you will pay tax on the gain you make.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:27 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Putting $$$ savings into UK account with way exchange rate is just now

Originally Posted by Centurion
Trading currency is exactly what it is. And remember you can deposit the funds into a UK interest bearing account as well which will pay out another 3% or so.

The only thing to bear in mind that you will pay tax on the gain you make.
do u know any accounts that are easy to open from Australia?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Alternatively if the rate drops to $1.50 you lose, and there's very little reason to think it will rise to $2.00. With transaction costs and possible tax implications on any profits I can't see the attraction to be honest. If you wan't to speculate with spare 10k think small Australian oil/gas, LNG, possibly gold, iron ore and nickel shares.

P.S, making 25 cents on an initial exchange rate of 1.75 for 10k doesn't come to 2500 profit even allowing for UK interest. More like $1428 plus interest I think. I'm sure some-one with a better grasp of percentages than either of us will correct me.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:26 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

do u know any accounts that are easy to open from Australia?
You can open foreign denominated accounts in Australia with your own bank.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

monkey hanger is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
we are doing just that,
as I already had a an existing U.K bank account to transfer funds to it's been
very easy to do so, bank of Qld. charge me $30.00 per transaction regardless
of the ammount sent, so it's better to transfer alot in one go rather than
numerous smaller ammounts.
As we have the house on the market and intend moving to the U.K as soon as
to capitalise on the exchange rate is our intention