Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Proud to be British..an interesting read.

Proud to be British..an interesting read.

Old May 26th 2012, 10:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proud to be British..an interesting read.

This will certainly surprise a few on here, I thnk it is good to read that such a large percentage are proud to be British but very heartening to see that such a large number of a particularly 'foreign' religion are proud of their adopted country in the case of immigrants. I must say that the findings do seem to agree with the general feeling I am seeing here.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-proud-britain
Old May 26th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Proud to be British..an interesting read.

I think it's useful to read some of the comments underneath which talk about the sampling and the manner in which the survey was conducted. Having worked for many years in market and social research I understand some of the concerns expressed in these comments. And the comments about surveys in relation to Sharia law are pertinent too. I think it's by and large another dose of cultural brainwashing.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:26 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I am extremely proud to be British, and even prouder to be an Englishman.

I just don't live there any more, and I am honest about things. It's rather like those colonials who left the UK and for generations continued the British lifestyle - dinner jackets in the jungle for dinner at 7 etc.

In fact in many ways I am more English than half of the people in England right now - although that depends on how you define English.

But the above doesn't mean I am fitted with rose tinted glasses!
Old May 26th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Or a hijab
Old May 26th 2012, 11:34 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
I think it's useful to read some of the comments underneath which talk about the sampling and the manner in which the survey was conducted. Having worked for many years in market and social research I understand some of the concerns expressed in these comments. And the comments about surveys in relation to Sharia law are pertinent too. I think it's by and large another dose of cultural brainwashing.
I think it is also essential to understand that it is people's personal perspective.

So when one man says "I am proud to be British" he is referring to HIS perception of what being British is. Another man with a totally different perspective will still be proud to be British, but will have a different idea of what bring British means.

Try typifying what "being British" means and you see what I mean.

What is typically British?

Kindness to animals? A devout Muslim won't see that as being typically British as he cuts a goats throat in his back garden at Eid Fitr. But for him cutting the goats throat is typically British.

see the problem?

What is being British these days (other than holding a passport of convenience)?

Last edited by slapphead_otool; May 26th 2012 at 11:58 pm.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

My wifes family are australian since the dawn of european australian settlement and there is a vast network of relations throughout the antipodies, particularly in SA and NSW. Her great great grandad was one of the first people to navigate the murray, a great uncle discovered opals in cooper pedy. Yet in many respects a more British family you wouldn't meet. All her old aunts and cousins in Adelaide are Anglophiles through and through, watch songs of praise on sunday, love fish and chips, watch the royal wedding and on their regular visits over here love it to bits, particularly the weather 'so nice to get out of the heat".

what is the obsession with heat btw. I like a bit of sunny weather, but i also love standing in a howling glae, the rain and being in minus 10 snow. varition in weather conditions is a good thing, not a bad thing. White europeans were'nt designed to live in 40c heat...
Old May 27th 2012, 12:16 am
Not allowed opinions.

Some more traits of "Being British" that some might find hard to take:

Women and children first
Calmness in times of panic
Self sacrifice
Queuing

Now compare those to some people claiming to be proud to be Bitish...
Old May 27th 2012, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I am extremely proud to be British, and even prouder to be an Englishman.

I just don't live there any more, and I am honest about things. It's rather like those colonials who left the UK and for generations continued the British lifestyle - dinner jackets in the jungle for dinner at 7 etc.

In fact in many ways I am more English than half of the people in England right now - although that depends on how you define English.

But the above doesn't mean I am fitted with rose tinted glasses!
I agree, Slappy. You don't have to go to Tesco, or install double glazing to be an Englishman.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some more traits of "Being British" that some might find hard to take:

Women and children first
Calmness in times of panic
Self sacrifice
Queuing

Now compare those to some people claiming to be proud to be Bitish...
Central heating.
Choice of 100 yoghurts.
Want lovely weather
Xbox inside when it is peeing down outside...etc etc

!
Old May 27th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Or a hijab
Why the need to be such a complete twat???
Old May 27th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Central heating.
Choice of 100 yoghurts.
Want lovely weather
Xbox inside when it is peeing down outside...etc etc

!
i see what you did there, the old reverse dig
Old May 27th 2012, 1:57 am
Not allowed opinions.

And to highlight my point:

The master of the local hunt thinks he is typically British when his hounds tear a fox to pieces. And maybe he is....

The little old lady thinks he is being typically British when she hides the fox and her cubs in her garden to save them. And maybe she is...

Old May 27th 2012, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
i see what you did there, the old reverse dig
It was deliberate - only in so far as some people are not as British as they think they are - Slappy's point.
Old May 27th 2012, 2:42 am
Not allowed opinions.

One thing is clear in my mind, based upon experience - neither holding a British passport nor living in Britain necessarily makes you "British".

Old May 27th 2012, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One thing is clear in my mind, based upon experience - neither holding a British passport nor living in Britain necessarily makes you "British".

It partly depends on whether you are talking about a cultural factor or a political factor.

Anyone who takes out Australian citizenship or a passport is an Australian - even if some have serious misgivings about what this means personally to them. At the end of the day, it's all a bit of paper, and people don't choose where they are born - and are indeed the sum of all their experiences.

Proud to be British is cultural all the way. I am proud to be a new Australian, but I have found the sweet point where Australian culture intersects with English culture. I mean English literally here (ha!) but I could nod to other people in my household...and say British...(lol).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.