Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Protection for the ignorant

Protection for the ignorant

Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Protection for the ignorant

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No, you're absolutely right. It amazes me that the premier of QLD, with it's vast population of just over 4.5 million, and practically no national/international responsibilities, earns $110k more than the PM of the UK, with it's 60 million population, armed forces, (including nuclear deterrence) and portfolio of international obligations.

How is that even remotely justifiable?
They're built for australian conditions, innit?

Same as why all the other prices are much higher here - lack of global competition meaning they get out of whack with reality.

Personally I don't think politicians should get anything other than the minimum wage - and then bonuses at the end of their term, 2 years later, 5 years, 10 years later - depending on how well they've done at building the quality of the country (not just in financial terms).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
They're built for australian conditions, innit?

Same as why all the other prices are much higher here - lack of global competition meaning they get out of whack with reality.

Personally I don't think politicians should get anything other than the minimum wage - and then bonuses at the end of their term, 2 years later, 5 years, 10 years later - depending on how well they've done at building the quality of the country (not just in financial terms).

I think a lot of the problem with this is that the concept of a 'career politician' has generated a culture of entitlement amongst them. In the past, politics was something that people aspired to having already had a successful and fulfilling career, and there was a sense of giving something back.

No people study politics at Uni for 4 years, and then slime their way into pre-selection one way or another. Instead of looking at how they can contribute, they always have one eye on the next promotion, and of course on keeping their seat at the next poll. And of course, they feel that they should be amply rewarded for the 'danger' of their 'profession' yet there seems to be little or no emphasis on any sort of service. And this goes for both sides too - I don't think it's a liberal or labour thing - just a culture within politicians.

S
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the problem with this is that the concept of a 'career politician' has generated a culture of entitlement amongst them. In the past, politics was something that people aspired to having already had a successful and fulfilling career, and there was a sense of giving something back.
A politician is a career liar.

We could do with getting rid; of the career; of the lying; and of the politicians.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you're absolutely right. It amazes me that the premier of QLD, with it's vast population of just over 4.5 million, and practically no national/international responsibilities, earns $110k more than the PM of the UK, with it's 60 million population, armed forces, (including nuclear deterrence) and portfolio of international obligations.

How is that even remotely justifiable?

S
The Singapore Prime Minister gets almost $2 million. And that was AFTER a review that cut it by a third a couple of years ago