Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Probably a stupid question but is oz easter on same dates as uk?

Probably a stupid question but is oz easter on same dates as uk?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably a stupid question but is oz easter on same dates as uk?

Originally Posted by The Dean
This is not a silly question at all.

Due to the time difference, when Jesus was crucified (on a Friday), it was already Saturday morning in Australia.

When the Christian word spread to Australia, the authorities decided that Good Friday would be commemorated on a Saturday, Easter Saturday would be on a Sunday, Easter Sunday was to be held on a Monday, and Easter Monday was to be a Tuesday.

This is to avoid confusion and works well.

I hope this helps.

Yours sincerely,

P. Staker
What time on Friday? Had he had lunch?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:11 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah the death of our lord and saviour jesus christ. Still brings a tear to my eye that not only was he was willing to die on the cross to give us all a day off work, he even rose again to give us another one

Praise the lord
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Ah the death of our lord and saviour jesus christ. Still brings a tear to my eye that not only was he was willing to die on the cross to give us all a day off work, he even rose again to give us another one

Praise the lord
Just a flaming drama queen/publicity whore in my book.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just a flaming drama queen/publicity whore in my book.
Yeah I hear he spent a lot of time hanging out with prostitutes. And all that water into wine, water-walking - what a showoff.

Maybe it ran in the family though. His mum never could prove who the father was...but the most likely culprit wasn't too shy either.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Yeah I hear he spent a lot of time hanging out with prostitutes.
All done in the name of research apparently
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
All done in the name of research apparently
Of course. I'm sure he's say he did not have any sexual relations with those women...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:54 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course. I'm sure he's say he did not have any sexual relations with those women...
Yesterday I saw a special boat with a thingy for sucking up sand and it was called 'The Lewinsky'
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:56 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Easter is Willy Wonka's Birthday. Not sure what a 'Jesus' is.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Yesterday I saw a special boat with a thingy for sucking up sand and it was called 'The Lewinsky'
Did it also have a facility to mop up spillages from wayward seamen and a special slot for cigar butts...?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:38 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Did it also have a facility to mop up spillages from wayward seamen and a special slot for cigar butts...?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Pollyanna that was your golden chance to say no we have an entirely different form of Christianity here in fact big J.C. was born in August on the same day that Elvis died!
Ah, but the snag is there that I have no idea who Elvis is OR when he died
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:25 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChickChock
Are australian easter holidays same as englands, we fly out on good friday (10 april), and have been looking for holiday homes, they give prices for easter etc and then regular prices, wasnt sure when easter was there?
Not such a stupid question as others might think. Last year our kids were off for Good Friday and Easter Monday and then back to school for the remainder of that week and the next one, before finishing for the two week break. I remember because my brother had booked to fly out for his kid's Easter hols and they didn't quite coincide with ours so he had to pay to change his dates. I think this was because Easter was early last year (the long weekend fell on the 21st March) and in South Australia the academic year is divided into 4, 10 week terms and as the new school year only began in late January to finish again in March would, I can only imagine, have been deemed too soon. This year, with Easter falling later in April they finish on the Thursday before Good Friday and go straight into their 2 week break, same as the UK. Guess the Oz holidays always fluctuate bcause of the ever changing dates of Easter.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy66
We fly on 7th April and arrive on Thursday, 9th - just in time for Easter weekend, booked hotel until the Tuesday prices don't seem bad. Never even thought to check, think last year it was March.
Hi Wendy,

We fly out on Friday 3rd April and arrive in Brisbane Sat 4th. Spending Easter with my brother & wife in Sunshine Coast and then down to the Gold Coast for a week. I found a lot of places were full up or really expensive. We have found a lovely apartment on the beach. We are validating, unfortunately. Are you guys doing the same?

Helena
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Not such a stupid question as others might think. Last year our kids were off for Good Friday and Easter Monday and then back to school for the remainder of that week and the next one, before finishing for the two week break. I remember because my brother had booked to fly out for his kid's Easter hols and they didn't quite coincide with ours so he had to pay to change his dates. I think this was because Easter was early last year (the long weekend fell on the 21st March) and in South Australia the academic year is divided into 4, 10 week terms and as the new school year only began in late January to finish again in March would, I can only imagine, have been deemed too soon. This year, with Easter falling later in April they finish on the Thursday before Good Friday and go straight into their 2 week break, same as the UK. Guess the Oz holidays always fluctuate bcause of the ever changing dates of Easter.
What a load of Horlicks!

It's got nothing to do with the school holidays (that's just coincidence).

Easter, every year, is the same date in the UK as in Australia.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
It's not a case of being too soon, it's a case of terms being 10 or 11 weeks and that's how the teachers set the course work, if they'd kept it with Easter, the kids wouldn't have had time to do the set work. If Easter were at it's latest date, the same problem would occur (except obviously the teachers would have to start another section of the curriculum for a week or so - wouldn't work).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.