British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Principal Principle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/principal-principle-797544/)

commonwealth May 20th 2013 3:12 am

Principal Principle

Why do people keep on saying "Principle plus Interest"??? Argh!

My personal principles are not for sale.
You need to pay principal and interest to the bank.
The high school principal is angry.
I got an approval-in-principle for my loan principal.

<whinge over>

GarryP May 20th 2013 3:25 am

Re: Principal Principle

Grama nazi?

Are you saying it's the principal of the thing?

commonwealth May 20th 2013 5:05 am

LoLz

Swerv-o May 20th 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10715752)
Grama nazi?

Are you saying it's the principal of the thing?

It's not grama nazism - just using the right words in the right place :)

Last week, I was horrified to discover that all of the people in our American office believe that 'Premise' is the singular form of 'Premises'...

S

Cosmo Knott May 20th 2013 10:37 am

I am soooo with you! But everyone hates me when I point out the correct spelling!! The other day I saw a law firm which stated its 'principle' area of business was litigation. ARGH :ohmy:

IvanM May 20th 2013 11:09 am

That is bad practise.

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10715748)
Why do people keep on saying "Principle plus Interest"??? Argh!

My personal principles are not for sale.
You need to pay principal and interest to the bank.
The high school principal is angry.
I got an approval-in-principle for my loan principal.

<whinge over>

GarryP May 20th 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by IvanM (Post 10716272)
That is bad practise.

There terrible.

commonwealth May 20th 2013 11:47 am

who wants to buy some office stationary at officeworks?

sonlymewalter May 20th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10716334)
who wants to buy some office stationary at officeworks?

naa its crap that stuff never moves

GarryP May 20th 2013 12:11 pm

Halting from making commonwealth *twitch* for a moment, I'd much rather people put their efforts into saying something interesting and considered, than put those same efforts into learning the, frankly stupid, vagaries of the English language. You can run a text through an automatic checker to fix most major grammar issues - you can't fix dumb thoughts the same way.

Witness the perfectly formed, grammatically correct, diatribes from politicians' mouths.

Learning the difference between 'principal' and 'principle' is a 'nice-to-have' relative to knowing when you are talking crap.

Bernieboy May 20th 2013 12:13 pm

Commonwealth is a principal ballerina:D

commonwealth May 20th 2013 12:15 pm

i'm a principled ballerina

commonwealth May 20th 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10716383)
Halting from making commonwealth *twitch* for a moment, I'd much rather people put their efforts into saying something interesting and considered, than put those same efforts into learning the, frankly stupid, vagaries of the English language. You can run a text through an automatic checker to fix most major grammar issues - you can't fix dumb thoughts the same way.

Witness the perfectly formed, grammatically correct, diatribes from politicians' mouths.

Learning the difference between 'principal' and 'principle' is a 'nice-to-have' relative to knowing when you are talking crap.

how do you distinguish between principal and principle, in orally released form?

sonlymewalter May 20th 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10716383)

:amen: its usually irks the anally retentive :D

GarryP May 20th 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10716396)
how do you distinguish between principal and principle, in orally released form?

If it's coming from a politician's mouth it has to be principal, since everyone knows politicians have no principles.