Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy cost on 176 visa (Permanent residence)

Wikiposts

Pregnancy cost on 176 visa (Permanent residence)

Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future
Default Pregnancy cost on 176 visa (Permanent residence)

I am a permanent resident on 176 and due to be in perth in november 2009
my wife is pregnant and we ll be having our first baby in australia. My questions are:

1. How much should be budget ourselves for the entire pregnancy and postnatal care if we take public system?
2. We have heard that only ultrasound need to be paid in public system for pregnancy; rest is free?? is that true

kindly advice
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy cost on 176 visa (Permanent residence)

Originally Posted by flair002
I am a permanent resident on 176 and due to be in perth in november 2009
my wife is pregnant and we ll be having our first baby in australia. My questions are:

1. How much should be budget ourselves for the entire pregnancy and postnatal care if we take public system?
2. We have heard that only ultrasound need to be paid in public system for pregnancy; rest is free?? is that true

kindly advice
If you are planning to go through the public system it will not cost you anything. Not sure about ultrasounds, but I would have thought if you had it done at the public hospital it would be covered.

Just an FYI, King Edward is the big public maternity hospital here. From what I undertand it is a great place to have a baby. I used to work in the gynae cancer clinic there, so can vouch for the level of care women receive there.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Total cost, including elective C-section - zip.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you are planning to go through the public system it will not cost you anything. Not sure about ultrasounds, but I would have thought if you had it done at the public hospital it would be covered.

Just an FYI, King Edward is the big public maternity hospital here. From what I undertand it is a great place to have a baby. I used to work in the gynae cancer clinic there, so can vouch for the level of care women receive there.
Thanks dorothy ...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:33 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy

We went public but had ultrasounds done privately, from memory they were $200 but we got back $85 I think for the second one from Medicare..

Other than that I think we paid for initially GP visits and some prescriptions thats about it...

We found the public system to be great..